Check your account email address ×

FDA approves first over-the-counter version of opioid overdose antidote Narcan

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Wasnt the biggest reason for it to remain script so that ins would pay for it ?

12 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Should weed out and be able to track the buyers and drug dealers using these purchases.  Like Fast and Furious only LEGALLY.

Yeah that seems like a good use of resources…FFS.

• Gold Member
31 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Should weed out and be able to track the buyers and drug dealers using these purchases.  Like Fast and Furious only LEGALLY.

My buddy's daughter was revived 5 times with that stuff over a 1 year period, add that to all the time she spent in jail for parole violations and the times she was sentenced to rehab and all you do is delay the inevitable. He found her and her boyfriend dead in the downstairs portion of his house a month ago. 

52 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

As long as they have to pay for it, and the cost isn't subsidized. 

There’s two in town right now on life support after overdosing together. Both still have brain activity. I’ve seen overdoses stay in that state for over a month before they come out of it. Then they get treated for kidney failure due to cell death and toxicity and in need of physical due to muscle death. It’s a long and expensive path back to health. Narcan would’ve prevented that cost to society. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

There’s two in town right now on life support after overdosing together. Both still have brain activity. I’ve seen overdoses stay in that state for over a month before they come out of it. Then they get treated for kidney failure due to cell death and toxicity and in need of physical due to muscle death. It’s a long and expensive path back to health. Narcan would’ve prevented that cost to society. 

The libertarian in me says let Darwin sort it out. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

My buddy's daughter was revived 5 times with that stuff over a 1 year period, add that to all the time she spent in jail for parole violations and the times she was sentenced to rehab and all you do is delay the inevitable. He found her and her boyfriend dead in the downstairs portion of his house a month ago. 

My buddy will run on the same people twice in one night.  Usually death is what cures their addiction. 

30 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Sadly I have to agree with this. Just another safety net for these people. 

44 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

My friend and lead Carpenter lost his son. He was Narcaned several times. The Narcan simply prolonged his pain and worry. Interestingly enough, the junkies hate to get Narcaned...it starts the withdrawal and sickness..besides the fact that they were chasing that perfect high.

I have to chime in with a riding buddy that lost his 28 year old son a couple years back.  Narcaned a few times and was put in treatment twice… found him dead in the basement after the third relapse.  His addiction was heroine, and the 3rd strike was it.  I’m all for finding solutions here, but first and foremost is to never try that shit.  Once hooked it’s a tough, TOUGH battle to come out clean.

8 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

I have to chime in with a riding buddy that lost his 28 year old son a couple years back.  Narcaned a few times and was put in treatment twice… found him dead in the basement after the third relapse.  His addiction was heroine, and the 3rd strike was it.  I’m all for finding solutions here, but first and foremost is to never try that shit.  Once hooked it’s a tough, TOUGH battle to come out clean.

It is absolutely brutal on the families.  I have watched so many people go through this shit.  They put you through hell and when you finally say enough, I can’t do this anymore and cut them off .  They end up dead and the family is consumed with guilt.  Once a junkie always a junkie , it never goes away. 

2 minutes ago, Cold War said:

It is absolutely brutal on the families.  I have watched so many people go through this shit.  They put you through hell and when you finally say enough, I can’t do this anymore and cut them off .  They end up dead and the family is consumed with guilt.  Once a junkie always a junkie , it never goes away. 

sad but true

1 hour ago, SkisNH said:

The libertarian in me says let Darwin sort it out. 

Same for the second heart attack victim that keeps smoking or stuffing their face with cheeseburgers after the first heart attack? Let 'em die on the dining room floor while the paramedics stand aside. 

16 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Same for the second heart attack victim that keeps smoking or stuffing their face with cheeseburgers after the first heart attack? Let 'em die on the dining room floor while the paramedics stand aside. 

Well...smoking cigarettes and eating cheese burgers is still legal last I checked. 

12 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

Well...smoking cigarettes and eating cheese burgers is still legal last I checked. 

So if self inflicted destructive behavior is done by legal means it rises to the level of the deserving medical intervention? Is that in your libertarian handbook? 

What about the car or snowmobile accident victim that lay in the ditch or trail bleeding to death. They were speeding you know. 

18 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

So if self inflicted destructive behavior is done by legal means it rises to the level of the deserving medical intervention? Is that in your libertarian handbook? 

What about the car or snowmobile accident victim that lay in the ditch or trail bleeding to death. They were speeding you know. 

Do you know anyone who was a heroine addict or someone who had a family member that was?  You’re really reaching on this.  

9 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Do you know anyone who was a heroine addict or someone who had a family member that was?  You’re really reaching on this.  

No. I’ve never met a heroin addict.