Check your account email address ×

10 minutes ago, Cat45 said:

From what I remember if the race was on public land it was a dnr permitting issue. The trails in park rapids are really busy but they get shut down for the races without causing problems. Here in bayfield co they could run on mostly logging rds and leave the trails open but ar the time it was being discussed the forest service and dnr wouldn't give them permits. I'm not a fan of the ski hill races, wish they still did a real xc  spring race in munising, mi. Awesome course, nice weather and plenty of snow

I know the reason no one will go back to Munising anymore.  Not sure I want to discuss it here.

I'd be surprised if there is a Nisswa race again, at least as it has been the last 2 years.

Permits seem to be a huge hassle.  Some places, for no reason, either refuse to issue them until the last minute or hold it up and make it a PITA.  That was part of the downfall of the revived I-500 route.  

Places to hold races or willing to hold are getting slim and when you rely on a crew that has jobs away from the race series during the week, it does limit you. 

It is the same for Todd, it was that way from Brian, Pat, and whoever came before them with ISOC/MRP/ICCSF, etc.

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I seem to recall there being a XC race up by L'Anse or Baraga several years ago... there was footage on FB once upon a time.  was just watching some of the hill race live on FB 'live' a few minutes ago and their feed went down or timed out... :lol:

from an organizers POV, it has to be an enormous PITA just to put one event together, let alone a string of them

which series is @Palu49 messing about in?

AXC

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

speaking of Alaska and racing... this is still impressive around 4:45

https://www.arcticinsider.com/cross-country-carrie-longley-showing-how-its-done-in-alaska-xc/

RIP her bulkhead.

My first XC race was on a 04 Firecat. 

It was really damn fast, or at least it felt like it coming from sno-x, but it beat the piss out of you.  

Wish I knew where that sled was today, but I'm guessing it has long since been parted out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, racinfarmer said:

RIP her bulkhead.

My first XC race was on a 04 Firecat. 

It was really damn fast, or at least it felt like it coming from sno-x, but it beat the piss out of you.  

Wish I knew where that sled was today, but I'm guessing it has long since been parted out.

why didn't they build an XC version of the SX sleds back then?

6 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

why didn't they build an XC version of the SX sleds back then?

I think part of it was in the late 90's and early 2000's, there really wasn't a "big name" XC series.  I think it went from ISOC or MRP to just stand along races for a few years in there before USCC starting up around 02 or 03.

I bought a 01 Sno Pro XC that was raced in the Northwoods Challenge series, but not really sure what that was.  Think it was a WI based XC series of some sort.

Cat45 may know more about that part of it.  

I can't say exactly why, but if you don't have a major series or two committed to racing, it is hard to put the engineering effort in to it.

USCC was more production based sleds until Cat fired up the 08 Sno Pro and Polaris the IQR's you could kit out to race.

I think another part is in the late 90's to the mid-2000's, sno-x was HUGE!  There were different regions for WSA in MN alone.  I think there was a half dozen places you could race weekly, plus the national tours.  Then you add in Hill-X that was mainly sno-x sleds and you had a full winter of racing.  There were weekends you could probably race a half dozen places within a few hour drive for us.

Club racing was a lot more popular back then too.

Edited by racinfarmer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I seem to recall there being a XC race up by L'Anse or Baraga several years ago... there was footage on FB once upon a time.  was just watching some of the hill race live on FB 'live' a few minutes ago and their feed went down or timed out... :lol:

from an organizers POV, it has to be an enormous PITA just to put one event together, let alone a string of them

which series is @Palu49 messing about in?

AXC this year gonna try to make some NEXC races next year, I didn’t want to go to maine this year with an unraced sled and glad I didn’t with the issues I had with it. The two AXC races this year (2 others scheduled but we had an awful winter) were an hour and 2 hours from my house.

The AXC guy is definitely super invested in getting it going, ISR certified, good scoring, a lot of equipment and sponsors. He struggled a little bit this year with how he advertised it (didn’t show what all he had invested until the day before the first race.) I’ve gave him a few names for people I know (they own mx tracks and a lot of land so they know the insurance side of it too) who would hold terrain races which I think will help also. His biggest threat is the NEXC promoting family showing up to his races but talking shit about everything he does. I bet in the next few years Justin has AXC as big as RMR used to be though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Palu49 said:

AXC this year gonna try to make some NEXC races next year, I didn’t want to go to maine this year with an unraced sled and glad I didn’t with the issues I had with it. The two AXC races this year (2 others scheduled but we had an awful winter) were an hour and 2 hours from my house.

The AXC guy is definitely super invested in getting it going, ISR certified, good scoring, a lot of equipment and sponsors. He struggled a little bit this year with how he advertised it (didn’t show what all he had invested until the day before the first race.) I’ve gave him a few names for people I know (they own mx tracks and a lot of land so they know the insurance side of it too) who would hold terrain races which I think will help also. His biggest threat is the NEXC promoting family showing up to his races but talking shit about everything he does. I bet in the next few years Justin has AXC as big as RMR used to be though.

Scott and Justin really need to work together and/or ideally team up to make XC racing work in the NE.

Ideally, they'd try to get together a put on some kind of race school weekend for next season or the season after about the finer points of XC racing. 

Shock and suspension set-ups, ice racing set-ups, fitness, etc.  

Get the manufacturers and product manufacturers and shock guys involved and make it easier for someone starting out to get into it.

Get a couple of the old crew people from the USCC/USXC/COR days out to help them out for a weekend with running a race weekend.

I'd probably we up for helping with something like that, and I'm sure many others would be too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, racinfarmer said:

I think part of it was in the late 90's and early 2000's, there really wasn't a "big name" XC series.  I think it went from ISOC or MRP to just stand along races for a few years in there before USCC starting up around 02 or 03.

I bought a 01 Sno Pro XC that was raced in the Northwoods Challenge series, but not really sure what that was.  Think it was a WI based XC series of some sort.

Cat45 may know more about that part of it.  

I can't say exactly why, but if you don't have a major series or two committed to racing, it is hard to put the engineering effort in to it.

USCC was more production based sleds until Cat fired up the 08 Sno Pro and Polaris the IQR's you could kit out to race.

I think another part is in the late 90's to the mid-2000's, sno-x was HUGE!  There were different regions for WSA in MN alone.  I think there was a half dozen places you could race weekly, plus the national tours.  Then you add in Hill-X that was mainly sno-x sleds and you had a full winter of racing.  There were weekends you could probably race a half dozen places within a few hour drive for us.

Club racing was a lot more popular back then too.

There was heartland racing back in the 90s was mostly mn maybe some nd i can't remember. Lot's of lake races. My 1st race was in walker back in 96 on a 94 zr 440 full ride height, trail carbides, trail studs. Didn't know what to expect, blew alot of corners lol. The northwoods challenge had alot of wi races, mostly lake but a few terrain. I think there needs to be a more grassroots type of circuit, maybe 1 day events to get new people interested instead of the $ and time to race usxc. I'm surprised clubs don't put on more races for fundraising, most have local lakes they could use

41 minutes ago, Jerry 976 said:

:hdchr:

Is Frankie still posting on the other site? COD Nerd, You go a Problem 

I don't know who's posting :dunno: but I know it's not him:thumb:

35 minutes ago, Cat45 said:

There was heartland racing back in the 90s was mostly mn maybe some nd i can't remember. Lot's of lake races. My 1st race was in walker back in 96 on a 94 zr 440 full ride height, trail carbides, trail studs. Didn't know what to expect, blew alot of corners lol. The northwoods challenge had alot of wi races, mostly lake but a few terrain. I think there needs to be a more grassroots type of circuit, maybe 1 day events to get new people interested instead of the $ and time to race usxc. I'm surprised clubs don't put on more races for fundraising, most have local lakes they could use

I agree.  USCC had a lot of 1 day events and USXC improved when they ran open/improved classes on Saturday and stock classes on Sunday.

1 day allows you to drive up the morning of, race, and go home, within reason.  

I figured I was spending a minimum of $2500 a weekend once you finger in hotels, diesel, food, etc.

Even the last race I ran, if you exclude the cost of the sled, I still spent $2000 just to be "there" that weekend.  I was so out of the ballpark it wasn't even funny.  Ok, it was rather funny, but it scratched my itch.

The problem with any ISR sanctioned events is still the "high" cost to start out. 

You need a Tekvest, a Snell M2020 (ECE 22.05) helmet, transponder, jacket with enough orange, etc.  That can easily add up to $1000+ and a lot of the local guys aren't willing to flip that bill.

Even being able to rent the Tekvest and transponder, a lot of "local" racers aren't willing to spend $350 on a quality helmet, which blows my mind.  

The last time I raced the club race here, I'm fairly certain I had a minimum of $50k more into my program then the next closest racer did, if you include the trailer.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

I know the reason no one will go back to Munising anymore.  Not sure I want to discuss it here.

I'd be surprised if there is a Nisswa race again, at least as it has been the last 2 years.

Permits seem to be a huge hassle.  Some places, for no reason, either refuse to issue them until the last minute or hold it up and make it a PITA.  That was part of the downfall of the revived I-500 route.  

Places to hold races or willing to hold are getting slim and when you rely on a crew that has jobs away from the race series during the week, it does limit you. 

It is the same for Todd, it was that way from Brian, Pat, and whoever came before them with ISOC/MRP/ICCSF, etc.

AXC

I  watched a corner for the race on both days, they were having trouble getting volunteers,   

3 hours ago, Cat45 said:

I was there 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Scott and Justin really need to work together and/or ideally team up to make XC racing work in the NE.

Ideally, they'd try to get together a put on some kind of race school weekend for next season or the season after about the finer points of XC racing. 

Shock and suspension set-ups, ice racing set-ups, fitness, etc.  

Get the manufacturers and product manufacturers and shock guys involved and make it easier for someone starting out to get into it.

Get a couple of the old crew people from the USCC/USXC/COR days out to help them out for a weekend with running a race weekend.

I'd probably we up for helping with something like that, and I'm sure many others would be too.

I definitely agree on that first as much as I don’t want to have to drive to Maine a few times a winter 😂. It’d be great if they could fully merge or one take it all over and have one series/points/membership instead of having 2 separate deals for what’s really a seasons worth of races.

2 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Do you know who that nutty cunt was on the FB that was bitching about the race the day it started?

Didn’t know about it ,,,name ? I most likely know her or have pissed her off myself 👍

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Sleepr2 said:

Didn’t know about it ,,,name ? I most likely know her or have pissed her off myself 👍

Maryanne G.  She lives somewhere on the race course. 

When she was called out on her overly dramatic BS, she played the "poor widow" card, until she was called out on her profile saying she was divorced.  

I guess she called someone in the local government about the race the day of and they hung up on her.

Sorry bitch, it be a bit too late the day of, and if they hung up on you, you probably have a reputation.

15 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Maryanne G.  She lives somewhere on the race course. 

When she was called out on her overly dramatic BS, she played the "poor widow" card, until she was called out on her profile saying she was divorced.  

I guess she called someone in the local government about the race the day of and they hung up on her.

Sorry bitch, it be a bit too late the day of, and if they hung up on you, you probably have a reputation.

Doesn’t sound familiar,,,,,, are you one of the guys that kit the gate or the mailbox? :lol:

hit the gate 👍

Edited by Sleepr2

6 minutes ago, Sleepr2 said:

Doesn’t sound familiar,,,,,, are you one of the guys that kit the gate or the mailbox? :lol:

hit the gate 👍

Nope!  I hung it up a few years ago, just saw the shit show on the FB.

I think I'd sacrifice an a-arm for her mailbox though. :bc:

8 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Nope!  I hung it up a few years ago, just saw the shit show on the FB.

I think I'd sacrifice an a-arm for her mailbox though. :bc:

From 200 yards away it sounded like he hit a trash can :lol:

link the Karen 👍