Check your account email address ×

Renewing Passports

So my passport book expired a few years ago during covid. No big deal. I hadn’t traveled anywhere that I needed it. I have a passport card that is still valid, and I have crossed the border into Canada several times this year already. We are going to Europe this summer, so I need to renew my passport book.  However, the application requires that I send in all my current and expired passports. How does that work when I am still crossing the border regularly? What do people do work and travel across the border or overseas a lot?

9 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

So my passport book expired a few years ago during covid. No big deal. I hadn’t traveled anywhere that I needed it. I have a passport card that is still valid, and I have crossed the border into Canada several times this year already. We are going to Europe this summer, so I need to renew my passport book.  However, the application requires that I send in all my current and expired passports. How does that work when I am still crossing the border regularly? What do people do work and travel across the border or overseas a lot?

Dont you just go to the post office? 

35 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I think you can still cross with a birth certificate to canada. A friend used his to go fishing up there last year. I'd call the crossing you usually use and ask them if the bc will work then send your card and book in to renew your book

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

If you mail it in at the begining of April you will have it back in about 3 weeks.

If you drive use a real ID,.if you fly you have to pay for expedited service as you need a passport

58 minutes ago, Cat45 said:

I think you can still cross with a birth certificate to canada. A friend used his to go fishing up there last year. I'd call the crossing you usually use and ask them if the bc will work then send your card and book in to renew your book

No.  You need a real ID or passport

5 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

If you mail it in at the begining of April you will have it back in about 3 weeks.

5 weeks was what they said last week when I grabbed an int'l drivers license

Edited by Deephaven
  • Like 1

You can pay to get it done in 24 hours.  

31 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

You can pay to get it done in 24 hours.  

Good luck getting an appointment.  You can pay a service to stand in line for you but that adds $400 the last time I had that done.

10 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Good luck getting an appointment.  You can pay a service to stand in line for you but that adds $400 the last time I had that done.

It's a problem now, not in the past.

Done it for the past 25 years.

8 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Thanks guys.  I'll just put my card with the app next week after I get back from Canada.  Won't need it again until July, so I should be good. 

I did the expedited one thru the post office, cost like 40 bucks more but cuts the time down dramatically. I think they said 5-8 weeks instead of 12-16.

• Like 1