Check your account email address ×

ok techy nerds... pick out a TV

Okay, SX racing is on dinner break.  Fireplace tv is a 37" Philips with Ambilight circa 2006 I purchased after our daughter was born.  Basement TV in our daughters hangout area is a 50" Samsung IDK what model that's about 5 years old.  I don't care for TV's that dominate a room so I'll probably end up buying another 50" and take the old Philips up to the cottage.  ;)

and, holy hell... I paid $1300 for that Philips back in 2006 :roflcrying:

IMG_20230218_173227608.jpg

IMG_20230218_173202648.jpg

IMG_20230218_173318997.jpg

IMG_20230218_173327054.jpg

the reviews aren't all glowing @jdsky, your opinion?  we currently have three Roku sticks in the house... 

★★★★★★★★★★1 out of 5 stars.
Not For STREAMING 
· 7 days ago  

NOT FOR STREAMING

If you stream do not buy this TV. I ended up buying a ROKU because this tv hard a hard time staying connected to WIFI. It is also super slow. My last TV was a Sony I wish I would have stayed with Sony or went LG. I wish I could return this. The picture is okay not worth the hassle. The sound also sucks

• This person purchased the product or service.
★★★★★★★★★★4 out of 5 stars.
Annette 
· 2 months ago  

Good enough

The picture is awesome. And it has some great features on it. I’m still getting use to how the screen moves when watching it. The only thing I don’t like is it is slow. I don’t have cable and stream everything. It’s a bit slow loading and seems to kicked out of apps. For this reason I hooked up my ROKU for faster loading.

Pay for the name on ahttps://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/tcl-6-series-2022-tv-review-winning-the-price-to-picture-contest-again/ Sony. Order a Series 6 TCL from best buy and call it a day. Sonos sound bars are pretty good.

Edited by J. Jackson
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, J. Jackson said:

Pay for the name on ahttps://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/tcl-6-series-2022-tv-review-winning-the-price-to-picture-contest-again/ Sony. Order a Series 6 TLC from best buy and call it a day. Sonos sound bars are pretty good.

that looks decent... will dig into it.   thx!

I really wouldn't worry about streaming.  Just buy the TV that makes the most sense to you.  I currently have 4 Samsung's running the same Tizen OS and they all connect to WIFI and stream seamlessly.  I have a box full of Roku's and Fire Sticks that are no longer in use.  If there is an issue you can just connect a Roku or any other streaming device anyway so this should not be a consideration when purchasing a new TV these days.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Not greg b said:

The home theater nerds like the pioneer elite 1080p plasma monitors from 2010 era. They run it off a separate source like a computer or a full fledged pre/pro amp processor. That would be the route i would go. 

I have a 10 yr old Pioneer in my basement. Still works like new. Hard to beat it's performance in a darker environment. Watching sports like hockey is a treat on it. Weighs a ton unlike new units.