Check your account email address ×

US military shoots down high-altitude object near Lake Huron on Sunday

3 hours ago, Anler said:

Probably a distraction from the revelation that the Biden administration blew up the nord stream pipeline this week. Despite having denied it the entire time... 

Biden: Oh look, Chinese balloons!

Biden has Putin on the run.

image.thumb.png.7000d756252a750ba6d12e4e06f7a6ff.png

I,ve got a question for you guys that actually know.

It has been stated that it took 2 tries to shoot down the object flying over Lake Huron.

For some reason, I thought these missiles were the type that would lock on to the target, so if that is the case, how could they miss with it, and have to shoot the second one to down it ? 

1 hour ago, Frostynuts said:

It has been stated that it took 2 tries to shoot down the object flying over Lake Huron.

For some reason, I thought these missiles were the type that would lock on to the target, so if that is the case, how could they miss with it, and have to shoot the second one to down it ? 

The info seems to point towards the use of an AIM9 which is a heat seeking missile which could have a hard time with a balloon.  Even the radar guided AMMRAM 120 could have a tough time as soft fabric does not give the best radar return.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

The object was flying above 200 mph with no noticeable sign of propulsion. So it doesn’t appear that there was any thermal signature from an exhaust. The AIM9 had to depend on the thermal variance between the surrounding air and the object rather than a jet exhaust. What’s remarkable is the thing was being propelled above the speed it would’ve been traveling via the jet stream. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

The object was flying above 200 mph with no noticeable sign of propulsion. So it doesn’t appear that there was any thermal signature from an exhaust. The AIM9 had to depend on the thermal variance between the surrounding air and the object rather than a jet exhaust. What’s remarkable is the thing was being propelled above the speed it would’ve been traveling via the jet stream. 

So it was a Chinese weapons test ?

11 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

200 mph relative to the ground. The jet stream goes through the middle of the country at those altitudes. Air speed for the balloon could be close to zero which is why jets would have a tough time shooting it down.

1 hour ago, Carlos Danger said:

200 mph relative to the ground. The jet stream goes through the middle of the country at those altitudes. Air speed for the balloon could be close to zero which is why jets would have a tough time shooting it down.

I listened to a top gun aviator explain the speed of the object was calculated as ground speed. This was configured by the amount of time it took to go from the area of Montana where it was first noticed to northern Wisconsin where it was picked up again. 

1 hour ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I listened to a top gun aviator explain the speed of the object was calculated as ground speed. This was configured by the amount of time it took to go from the area of Montana where it was first noticed to northern Wisconsin where it was picked up again. 

Right but the jet stream can move at a couple of hundred miles an hour. The balloon could be floating along at a near zero airspeed and still be moving 200mph over the ground.

13 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

Right but the jet stream can move at a couple of hundred miles an hour. The balloon could be floating along at a near zero airspeed and still be moving 200mph over the ground.

He figured the jet stream into the equation. It was outpacing the jet stream at that time and altitude by a fair margin. Thus, the object was under some type of propulsion that wasn’t detected by the pilots on the scene. It’s a very odd scenario. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I’m just glad this gives  you another topic to be an expert on and you have finally STFU about the vaccine.

leonardo-di-caprio-clapping.gif