Check your account email address ×

Any HAM operators here?

5 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

@Kivalo is working on his.

I have some 900mhz ISM stuff and handheld VHF/CB.

Neal

I have a couple of older GMRS handsets. This is the unit I picked up. Under $70. Programmable over a wide variety of frequencies. These Chinese radios are quite amazing. 

8F6A9901-606C-48DF-BEB2-18B4264332AB.jpeg

• Haha 2

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, 01mxz800 said:

I was an outlaw with illegal 10 meter modified for CB with a 1k watt linear and Moonraker 4 beam on 40' tower:thumbsup:

Did you have a black leather coat and carry a comb in your back pocket?   :lol:

• Haha 1

• Gold Member
20 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I have a couple of older GMRS handsets. This is the unit I picked up. Under $70. Programmable over a wide variety of frequencies. These Chinese radios are quite amazing. 

I got the 5watt version of that same radio except mine has 3 bands. Pretty cheap for all the features you get. These things get pretty good reviews from most as well. The purists seem to hate them but I think that's mostly about the whole "made in china" thing.

32 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

I got the 5watt version of that same radio except mine has 3 bands. Pretty cheap for all the features you get. These things get pretty good reviews from most as well. The purists seem to hate them but I think that's mostly about the whole "made in china" thing.

yep. Emotions run high over the Chinese radios. 

1 hour ago, Kivalo said:

Did you have a black leather coat and carry a comb in your back pocket?   :lol:

nope just caused hate and discontent on the airwaves, still do when trucking, much the same as the hate and discontent I cause on the interwebs, same asshole different delivery  system:thumbsup:

Edited by 01mxz800
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

A bunch of us use those radios for hunting. For the money they work ok, recieve range is a couple miles but output is only about a mile in northern wi terrain. If you're looking for 1 to run in your van check out the yaesu or icom radios. I run a yaesu 2980 and it has been great. 

8 hours ago, Cat45 said:

A bunch of us use those radios for hunting. For the money they work ok, recieve range is a couple miles but output is only about a mile in northern wi terrain. If you're looking for 1 to run in your van check out the yaesu or icom radios. I run a yaesu 2980 and it has been great. 

I get 1.5-2 miles in the hills which is more than adequate. I connect with repeaters over 35 miles away. A better antenna improves transmission. I already have a 50w Midland in the van. 

6 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I get 1.5-2 miles in the hills which is more than adequate. I connect with repeaters over 35 miles away. A better antenna improves transmission. I already have a 50w Midland in the van. 

We use them on foot in the woods so a larger antenna won't work very good for us. They are pretty cool little radios being able to hook to the repeaters. Lot's of capabilities in a small package. 1 other thing if you use it outside, they aren't waterproof like most handheld marine radios so any moisture at all gets in there and they're junk. 

Edited by Cat45

58 minutes ago, Cat45 said:

We use them on foot in the woods so a larger antenna won't work very good for us. They are pretty cool little radios being able to hook to the repeaters. Lot's of capabilities in a small package. 1 other thing if you use it outside, they aren't waterproof like most handheld marine radios so any moisture at all gets in there and they're junk. 

When it rains I stay inside. 

1 hour ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

a good antenna matched to the radio along with a proper tune of the radio (peak and tweak) by a qualified tech and it will be a whole different radio

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, 01mxz800 said:

a good antenna matched to the radio along with a proper tune of the radio (peak and tweak) by a qualified tech and it will be a whole different radio

I need that bigtime, mine sucks balls

9 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

I need that bigtime, mine sucks balls

BIG difference, the radio that I use in my semi is a off the shelf  Uniden 76 with matched twin Wilson 2000 trucker antennas and radio tuned and peaked, dead keys at 4 watts swings 40, 5 to 15 mile range depending  on conditions

Edited by 01mxz800
  • Like 2

Rob was in to ham radios big time. His backyard had several different antennas. He has postcards from around the world from people that he made contact with. I recall him getting excited once when he contacted someone that had setup a temporary radio station on a small island .  I think it was between South America and Antarctica. It may have been South Africa and Antarctica.

21 minutes ago, ckf said:

Rob was in to ham radios big time. His backyard had several different antennas. He has postcards from around the world from people that he made contact with. I recall him getting excited once when he contacted someone that had setup a temporary radio station on a small island .  I think it was between South America and Antarctica. It may have been South Africa and Antarctica.

I remember him talking about being ham operator, wife was MARS operator in Marine Corps. we were going to get ham licences but never followed through

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ckf said:

I didn’t know that about rob. What a talented dude he was. 

45 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I didn’t know that about rob. What a talented dude he was. 

He did it as a kid and got back in to it shortly after he started FS v1.0. He also had postcards that he sent out to radio operator's that contacted him. I never really understood how that all worked, lol.