Check your account email address ×

Any HAM operators here?

2 hours ago, ckf said:

He did it as a kid and got back in to it shortly after he started FS v1.0. He also had postcards that he sent out to radio operator's that contacted him. I never really understood how that all worked, lol. 

I remember when he started playing with a drone I saw antennas when he flew it over his house

• Gold Member

Evidently you can control drones and and other remotely operated things with various HAM signals. Some people who fly rc aircraft as a hobby need a HAM lic. Never knew that until I started this online course.

1 minute ago, Kivalo said:

Evidently you can control drones and and other remotely operated things with various HAM signals. Some people who fly rc aircraft as a hobby need a HAM lic. Never knew that until I started this online course.

Rob had mentioned that some of his radio friends flew RC planes but not drones. I never knew why.

• Platinum Contributing Member
22 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

20 minutes ago, ckf said:

Rob had mentioned that some of his radio friends flew RC planes but not drones. I never knew why.

I read somewhere that you've crashed some drones.

Maybe you didn't after all!

rD1J7gV.gif

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

I read somewhere that you've crashed some drones.

Maybe you didn't after all!

rD1J7gV.gif

That's a FS myth. AC saw something on Twitter about drones crashing and somehow got me mixed up in the mess :lol:

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, ckf said:

Something to do with the frequency the "toy" receives on. Not 100% sure tho.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kivalo said:

That’s pretty cool. Do you know if the range is extended? 

• Gold Member
7 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

That’s pretty cool. Do you know if the range is extended? 

As I understand it range is effected by output power, antenna height and surrounding geography. I suppose that could come into play with a drone or rc airplane.