Check your account email address ×

Too bad there is not away for customers to shield themselves from this

BOHICA

• Gold Member

too bad people can’t make their own electricity.

https://amp.wbur.org/news/2022/09/21/national-grid-electricity-rate-hike

Electricity bills for National Grid customers are expected to spike this winter, in part due to the war in Ukraine driving up the price of natural gas.

New rates, filed Wednesday with the Department of Public Utilities, showed about $114 more due on a typical month's electric bill over a six-month period, beginning in November.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Here in cny we call them National Greed. Traditionally I have about $25-35 in usage, and $100-140 in "delivery" fees. The electricity truck has never come by my house and "delivered" anything, but my propane and my heating oil gets delivered with no delivery fees?? So I've called a few times to question this "delivery" fee, they say it's for the line outside my house, that's been there for 20 years, they also said it's for "maintenance" on the line, but I've never seen anyone cleaning or polishing it. Now my propane and heating oil companies actually come and maintain their products at no charge..

National grid is a European company so we can't sue them for over charging on outrageous "delivery fees" SMH 

Energy of every type has seen large increases in cost. Electricity will be no different.

It will be the go to when oil, propane and natural gas continue to increase in cost AND potentially be unavailable.

Watch this happen in Europe. Their electrical systems will be quickly overloaded.

A 40 story apartment building takes 10's of millions of BTU's to heat. That is nothing for fossil fuels on a boiler and heat exchangers.

Electric is easy math 3400 btu per KWH. 300 KWH to a million. There simply is not enough capacity in the grid to deliver this.

Not to mention the building of such a heating system. I build large electric heaters. Biggest was 2.5  megawatts, and it was used to test generators. Nothing near the size to heat even a single building, let alone a block worth of buildings in a big city.

I've got a 10kw heater in my garage, a 10 kw heater in my 2400 ft/sq shop, a mix of baseboards and forced air in my house. None get any use as I have natural gas, and thankfully now, wood heat for everything if needed.

If I turned them all on I'd likely draw 150 amps at 240V. While not maxing out my 200 amp service, if my neighbors on the same transformer did likewise we would overload the transformer and blow the fuse. The grid was never designed to run everything at %100, nor did it need to be...until now.

Praying to the green god of wind and solar will net nothing. It's a pipe dream from ill informed nitwits.

As far as the delivery fee and every other line on your bill adding up to the total is meaningless.

It would still be the same total. 

Even if we came up with some magic potion, that meant we used %10 of the electricity we did yesterday, the bill would still be almost the same.

The system costs X to maintain, staff and have at the ready, whether a single KWH is used or 100 GWH.

The only way to not be involved is to fully disconnect from the grid.

This is impossible for most. 

Edited by Voodoo
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Anler said:

I bet alot of people say fuck Ukraine when they get $600 and $800 gas bills. Hell they already hate Ukraine in Europe. 

Saying fuck Ukraine will not instantly drop your energy bill.

Say fuck you Biden, Trudeau and drill baby drill, fuck the cunts who don't want pipelines, fracking and every other way to get energy to the people will.

Focus on the problem, not the minor idiots who are in the way.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
54 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

I've got a 10kw heater in my garage, a 10 kw heater in my 2400 ft/sq shop, a mix of baseboards and forced air in my house. None get any use as I have natural gas, and thankfully now, wood heat for everything if needed.

3 forms of heat?   Sounds expensive as most can only afford 1

Edited by BOHICA

8 hours ago, BOHICA said:

too bad people can’t make their own electricity.

https://amp.wbur.org/news/2022/09/21/national-grid-electricity-rate-hike

Electricity bills for National Grid customers are expected to spike this winter, in part due to the war in Ukraine driving up the price of natural gas.

New rates, filed Wednesday with the Department of Public Utilities, showed about $114 more due on a typical month's electric bill over a six-month period, beginning in November.

Lol you think 114 is a spike just wait till every cunt in America has to plug there car in to see what electricity will get jacked up to 

Just now, BOHICA said:

3 forms of heat?   Sounds expensive as most can only afford 1

It was. I like the double redundancy factor. I have two generators for power, 3 if I got into it. Learned that from the banks I sell generator load banks to them. They do triple redundancy. 3 generators to power the building. They need one. 

I bought the fan forced electric heaters from Caloritech. A Canadian company I buy my electric heating elements from, for my load banks and air heat units. Stuff at cost.

Wasn't sure how I'd heat my shop so I installed these as a backup.

Went with the wood boiler first, then as I found it a poor choice,  ran natural gas and a boiler. 

Only a poor choice because it needs constant attention. Fine if you are around, sucks when you fly off to the polar regions with the military and your wife has to deal with it.

The electric heaters are still there. Likely never get used, but still there as a backup.

Pretty sure I could go off grid for two years and still have heat and a cold fridge with the fuel, generators and batteries I have.

Not everyone is in the same situation I'm in. 

I know in Minneapolis a fuck load of the skyscrapers and stadiums etc are heated thrugh a massive central boiler.  Not sure if the city ownes it but I know the guys working there work for the city of Minneapolis. 

Are other bigger city's large buildings heated like this or is Minneapolis a anomaly? 

For those that don't know when you are facing the fr of us bank stadium /the dome the big steam coming out of those huge 1 story slats that make up the  top of the 2 story building to the right of stadium is the central boiler 

15 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

I know in Minneapolis a fuck load of the skyscrapers and stadiums etc are heated thrugh a massive central boiler.  Not sure if the city ownes it but I know the guys working there work for the city of Minneapolis. 

Are other bigger city's large buildings heated like this or is Minneapolis a anomaly? 

For those that don't know when you are facing the fr of us bank stadium /the dome the big steam coming out of those huge 1 story slats that make up the  top of the 2 story building to the right of stadium is the central boiler 

They are called central plants. Chicago has them for chill water, not owned by the City. College campuses have them,hospitals and large manufacturing also have them.