Check your account email address ×

Market Watchers

Crnr2Crnr

Uncertain where the next market bottoms are before the mid-terms and a lot will depend on what the federal reserve does with rates.  Feel Wall Street already has a bit of the next rate hike baked into the cake but the inflation and employment numbers are the harbingers.

Current targets are...

DJIA 27,173

S&P 3,298

Nazzy 10,913

Rus2k 1,474

If they break further under those levels all hell may break loose.

@ArcticCrusher @DriftBusta @f7ben 

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

• Platinum Contributing Member
20 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Uncertain where the next market bottoms are before the mid-terms and a lot will depend on what the federal reserve does with rates.  Feel Wall Street already has a bit of the next rate hike baked into the cake but the inflation and employment numbers are the harbingers.

Current targets are...

DJIA $27,173

S&P $3,298

Nazzy $10,913

Rus2k $1,474

If they break further under those levels all hell may break loose.

@ArcticCrusher @DriftBusta @f7ben 

Why are you putting $ signs in front of the numbers? 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

for effect :lol:

have any targets of your own?

No....never would just randomly set a number and why in the previous post my range was large.

32 minutes ago, Highmark said:

No....never would just randomly set a number and why in the previous post my range was large.

DJIA is down 16%, S&P 19% & Naz 28% YTD

There's more pain likely to come but looking at the 9/2020 and 10/2020 double bottom is where I'm setting my first thresholds.  

But, it's speculation 

5 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

DJIA is down 16%, S&P 19% & Naz 28% YTD

There's more pain likely to come but looking at the 9/2020 and 10/2020 double bottom is where I'm setting my first thresholds.  

But, it's speculation 

Of the top 10 worst corrections/crashes I most were around the 40-50% range.   Dotcom bubble and 1929 crashes being far worse.  I could easily see a 50% correction in all major indices here as history has shown us in the past.  The covid crash was somewhat of an anomaly as it only took about 33 days to level off.   

Edited by Highmark

36 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Of the top 10 worst corrections/crashes I most were around the 40-50% range.   Dotcom bubble and 1929 crashes being far worse.  I could easily see a 50% correction in all major indices here as history has shown us in the past.  The covid crash was somewhat of an anomaly as it only took about 33 days to level off.   

I'm not of the mindset we're going to go that far down the rabbit hole.  My second target would be 4/2018 and 3/2019 bottoms.  

Fed won't let the markets crash completely as history from 2009 forward has shown us.

21 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I’d look for something closer to 24-25k on the Dow , that’s about fair value plus inflationary impacts from the last 24 months. 

potentially

federal reserve actions is the biggest harbinger 

39 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I’m not in the speculation business.  But I think you’re a little too pessimistic.

What’s the Dow at if you take it back to historical mean p/e ? I’d say something slightly discounted from there should suffice. 

4 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Listen to you   😆

What’s the impetus for a historically high PE right now? I’m curious what type of rationalization you could give me now that’s Trumps amazing moral boost isn’t the excuse. The fed drove the market and they are pulling out. Soon it will be a race to the door. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, f7ben said:

What’s the impetus for a historically high PE right now? I’m curious what type of rationalization you could give me now that’s Trumps amazing moral boost isn’t the excuse. The fed drove the market and they are pulling out. Soon it will be a race to the door. 

I would answer most likely Consumer and investor confidence, in future looking companies that not have monetized their technology just yet, etc.  Current Dow  P/E is right around 20x which is well within 1 standard deviation of that 20 year average of just under 18x.  There are some great bargains in div stocks right now and I’m selling 1 yr cds for 3.7%, which is the best we’ve seen in years.  I agree that the government has been printing way too much money, and that’s a whole separate conversation.  no congress or president has an exclusive on that.  Feds job is to keep inflation down and employment stable within the landscape that the government has created.  Anc until we have true campaign finance reform which no one is talking about, that won’t change cuz it’s all just legalized bribery and paying back campaign benefactors.. 

Edited by DriftBusta

47 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Here is the 20 year p/e chart

Screenshot_20220916-143411_Chrome.jpg

2 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

Here is the 20 year p/e chart

Screenshot_20220916-143411_Chrome.jpg

Right , you can erase that bump at 2008 as that was purely market crash anomaly. You’ll see that even on the 20 year we are historically high. Now bump that graph out to a 50 year and show a few other recessions. 

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

which of us? 

Both of you.  😄  :bc: .  Part of the ongoing education we have to do is to wade through countless opinions and find consensus.  I’m not reading anything that is forecasting a 25k Dow.  I remember in the training one of the classes was a whole bunch of newspaper headlines and we had to guess when they were printed.  Point being there has been doom and gloom predictions since the market began.  Employment and consumer spending is still strong, which we did not have back in 08-09.  We eventually had to get back to normal interest rates, the days of free money seem to be over.  Klaus Schwab said we weren’t going to need any $ anyways  😆