Check your account email address ×

What killed the railroads in the US?

2 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

The people for the east west rail are going to be crying another tune if it ever happens. Just imagine all the high paid boston workers moving to the western part of the state and driving up real estate prices because it's still way cheaper than living near Boston. Just take the subsidized train to work.

That's just a fantasy, the wealthy just won't sit in a train as it stops at every station along the way. 

Since that demographic is not doing it going north and south why would they going east to west. The poor don't do it as they are paid to stay home. 

People just don't commute by train anymore as it just doesn't go to where they need to be. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 9/1/2022 at 8:21 AM, ckf said:

We still have a freight train that runs through Island Pond 4 days a week. It mostly seems to move lumber and propane. 

You may soon have passenger service from Monteal , thru IP , then on to Portland and Boston

• USA Contributing Member
On 9/1/2022 at 8:21 AM, ckf said:

We still have a freight train that runs through Island Pond 4 days a week. It mostly seems to move lumber and propane. 

That's where Officer Teddy would give out tickets to sledders (at the stop sign). 

3 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Railroads have become a hellhole to work at. I wouldn’t do it.  There was a strike of rail workers that was going to happen. Not sure what happened. 

see one post above yours from me...

On 9/1/2022 at 8:08 AM, Crnr2Crnr said:

My guess is that the dead rails you see were made for industries that are no longer there. I get caught by the rail cars going through one of the towns that I commute through all the time. Sucks.

Plus, run I-8 out of SoCal to the east. One of the busiest rail lines runs literally right next to it. Watched a lot of cars run down that rail the last time I had to drive from SD to Yuma AZ for work. It’s was actually really cool to see. 

ny state has tons of freight trains. but the better history is the mountain rrs that brought people and freight to the depths of ny typically from the hudson river and canals. locally we had the catskill mountain railroad. my road was a junction. i used to ride my sled on the old bed to some fields to tune in. there is a bridge still there 200 ft from my driveway. the most historic was bringing passengers up the river by paddleboat, rail to the bottom of the mountain. then it was up the otis elevated railway. same otis you see in a hospital elevator. aat the top was the catskill mountain house, and kaaterskill mountain house. i ride my mountain bike all over the grounds there. Otis Elevated Railway Catskills, NY Trains, Railroad

The Mountainside Ride That Opened Up the Catskills - Scenic HudsonCatskill Mountain House Vintage Photo | Catskill, Catskill mountains,  Abandoned places

Kaaterskill Hotel, Catskills, N. Y. - NYPL's Public Domain Archive Public  Domain Search

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

The Mountainside Ride That Opened Up the Catskills - Scenic Hudson

the river in the distance is the hudson river. 100 miles south or the right is nyc. they took paddleboats all that way, and trains to the bottom of the otis, then up. those that were not as wealthy took wagons that distance from the river, and took a precarious trail up the side of the mountain to get there. this railcar had a power unit on top i think was steam powered. that park is called north south lake. good sled tuning there as it freezes early. anyone looking for rail history should check ny state.

otissa01.jpg

21 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

The Mountainside Ride That Opened Up the Catskills - Scenic Hudson

the river in the distance is the hudson river. 100 miles south or the right is nyc. they took paddleboats all that way, and trains to the bottom of the otis, then up. those that were not as wealthy took wagons that distance from the river, and took a precarious trail up the side of the mountain to get there. this railcar had a power unit on top i think was steam powered. that park is called north south lake. good sled tuning there as it freezes early. anyone looking for rail history should check ny state.

otissa01.jpg

It was very similar in New Hampshire. The trains brought up the tourists from Boston to the White Mountains. During the summer the grand hotels filled up. After skiing started to gain traction there were snow trains during the winter to bring guests to the ski areas.