Check your account email address ×

drilling through boron alloyed steel.

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

That's a spot weld cutter. I need to hole. I found something the try. 

gotcha ...well ive used those before and they work mint for spot welds 

2 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

gotcha ...well ive used those before and they work mint for spot welds 

Ive never had to drill through it before. My standard bits are useless. It's like drilling into a UFO. 

• Haha 1

• Gold Member

A high cobalt content drill, some type of coating either TiN or TiCN is better. 

Carbide is best but if hand drilling they can shatter in the flute area, carbide tipped would work better. 

Either way slow rpm and oil. 

Edited by Stephen Hawking

23 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Either a high cobalt content drill, some type of coating either TiN or TiCN is better. 

Carbide is best but if hand drilling they can shatter in the flute area, carbide tipped would work better. 

Good advice. I was using too much speed. 

1 hour ago, Rigid1 said:

What are you doing with that spinner?

Installing a bed using 8020 extruded aluminum beams. 1x3” beams run laterally down both sides of the van wall. I’m having to drill holes to install plus nuts to secure the L brackets. I guess in a van it would be considered a D pillar in the rear? It’s high strength steel. I would imagine ford uses it to protect in a rollover. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
7 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Installing a bed using 8020 extruded aluminum beams. 1x3” beams run laterally down both sides of the van wall. I’m having to drill holes to install plus nuts to secure the L brackets. I guess in a van it would be considered a D pillar in the rear? It’s high strength steel. I would imagine ford uses it to protect in a rollover. 

Yep

52 minutes ago, Pete said:

A clapped out mini van with boron steel. :lol: ok..

You don't even know what boron steel is, you fucking halfwit. The bag of spuds I bought yesterday have a higher IQ. 

• Haha 1

Just now, spin_dry said:

You don't even know what boron steel is, you fucking halfwit. The bag of spuds I bought yesterday have a higher IQ. 

Yes no idea 

:lol2:

13 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

A high cobalt content drill, some type of coating either TiN or TiCN is better. 

I had a some old Hanson bits still in the wrapper from 15-20 years ago. With a little oil they broke right through. I swear that Hanson's were some of the best commercially available bits ever sold. Apparently Irwin bought em out. They aren't the same now. 

Cobalt jobber bits will go through most tough materials it is a matter of speeds and feeds. Carbide drills are a last resort but are about as high up the food chain as drills for metal get. My daily duties involve putting holes in some of the toughest materials known. Inconell, hastaloy X, heat treated 410 SS the list goes on.

5 hours ago, spin_dry said:

it is just like 1018 just it can be surface hardened after it has been shaped. It ain't all that to drill through as it's rockwell number is still in the 40s even after it gets heat treat. 

19 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

it is just like 1018 just it can be surface hardened after it has been shaped. It ain't all that to drill through as it's rockwell number is still in the 40s even after it gets heat treat. 

I had to run over and visit a buddy that owns a body shop. He loaned me his set of carbide bits. He's spent years working with the stuff. Even these bits properly oiled and run at optimal speed are good for 40-50 holes. DeWalt cobalt bits don't touch the stuff.

4 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I had to run over and visit a buddy that owns a body shop. He loaned me his set of carbide bits. He's spent years working with the stuff. Even these bits properly oiled and run at optimal speed are good for 40-50 holes. DeWalt cobalt bits don't touch the stuff.

If the bits you are getting come out of home Depot you are not really doing your best. Jobber quality bits made of cobalt from MSC or McMaster Carr or pan American is your best bet. If it is just sheet metal I would get a 1/8 carbide make a pilot hole and run a uni bit for a size. Less chance you get in trouble.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

Cobalt jobber bits will go through most tough materials it is a matter of speeds and feeds. Carbide drills are a last resort but are about as high up the food chain as drills for metal get. My daily duties involve putting holes in some of the toughest materials known. Inconell, hastaloy X, heat treated 410 SS the list goes on.

I know the Titanium shafts I used were hard to drill and machine.

46 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

If you end up in trouble let me know I will throw you a line of goodies for getting holes made.

Thanks. I’m pretty sure that the remainder of the drilling will be mild steel. I cut a hole in the floor for the heater this afternoon. A hole saw sliced through it like butter. 

1 hour ago, XCR1250 said:

I know the Titanium shafts I used were hard to drill and machine.

Titanium is tough but it ain't Hastaloy.  Most of the disks in the hot section of a jet are hastaloy x. We had an engine have a catastrophic failure where at full power the main shaft split and the disk went through the case and the enclosure and when it got outside it almost sliced a Honda accord in half and then took off up the hill next to the plant where it went through a chain link fence.  The Disk was scrap but it was in remarkably good shape considering what it had been through.   

• Sad 1