Check your account email address ×

Utility paying Tesla Powerwall owners for power

• Gold Member

$2 a kwh 

Become a part of the largest distributed battery in the world and help keep California’s energy clean and reliable. Opt-in to the Tesla Virtual Power Plant (VPP) with PG&E and your Powerwall will be dispatched when the grid needs emergency support. Through the Emergency Load Reduction Program (ELRP) pilot, you will receive $2 for every additional kWh your Powerwall delivers during an event. Adjust your Backup Reserve to set your contribution, while maintaining backup energy for outages.”

https://electrek.co/2022/06/23/tesla-virtual-power-plant-pays-powerwall-owners-help-end-brownouts/

During peak events you have to bring supply inline with demand.  We have been using a "saver switch" on our AC units in Minnesota for decades.  I get a 10% discount in the summer to allow them to cycle our AC during peak times.  The house might increase 2 degrees but no big deal.

This is the same sort of system but it just allows an increase to the grid supply during peak times.  Makes sense to take advantage of batteries connected to the grid if possible.  Draw the batteries down during peak and then recharge when demand has dropped.  They will probably do the same with EVs in the future as well.  

Peaking power is VERY expensive for the utility companies.

1 hour ago, Badger** said:

I got to drive a Tesla last night it was a pretty amazing vehicle. 

they are,  if it wasn't for the utter shit quality at the price point they would be unstoppable.   pretty much every household would be fine witha t least 1 EV in the drive and many 2.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Doug said:

Badger.  You know most EV owners are Veken's :pan:

maxresdefault (1).jpg

8 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

they are,  if it wasn't for the utter shit quality at the price point they would be unstoppable.   pretty much every household would be fine witha t least 1 EV in the drive and many 2.  

The guy who owned the car said " in no way is this country ready to go fully electric" as we sat and had a few beer's and burgers. I have never driven 600 hp car before it was pretty amazing but not $110K amazing. The guy's is a day trader.      

Edited by Badger**

3 minutes ago, Badger** said:

The guy who owned the car said " in no way is this country ready to go fully electric" as we sat and had a few beer's and burgers. I have never driven 600 hp car before it was pretty amazing but not $110K amazing. The guy's is a day trader.      

at least it's an S quality is not great but designs better.  pre facelift IMO were better i was actually shopping for one a few years back.  

7 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

at least it's an S quality is not great but designs better.  pre facelift IMO were better i was actually shopping for one a few years back.  

This one, whatever it is. Model 3?? 

Tesla Model 3 - Wikipedia

In Illinois you can sell back to the grid but in Indiana they dont allow that. I saw something years ago that Larry Hagman had a solar farm and had like $600k in electricity credits from the power company. They probably killed him

15 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

I could see buying a EV to replace my commuter car.  Typically I would only need 100 miles of range.  Even a Nissan Leaf with the larger battery gets an estimated 215 miles of range.  

4 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

should not be 110k being a 3.  

Honestly, you know way more about those cars than I would ever know. The car was very interesting 

Edited by Badger**

Just now, teamgreen02 said:

I could see buying a EV to replace my commuter car.  Typically I would only need 100 miles of range.  Even a Nissan Leaf with the larger battery gets an estimated 215 miles of range.  

one would be perfect for my wife.  maybe in another 100k miles we'll look at one for her.  she drives 10k miles a year most days inside a 15 mile circle.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

one would be perfect for my wife.  maybe in another 100k miles we'll look at one for her.  she drives 10k miles a year most days inside a 15 mile circle.  

The off-peak electric rates are really good too.  5.8 cents/kWh overnight.  7 hours of cheap power to charge.  Leaf battery takes 11.5 hours from flat to full so that should be more than enough time to top up the battery with a daily commute.  

image.thumb.png.f71619f63dee0aa699225d09d5593870.png

image.thumb.png.2f27865a8fa3fb1e5869e2486ac64f2c.png

10 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

We got discounts for cutting back our consumption during brown outs for 20 years.

Your brown outs are a little different than is being discussed.

How-to-remove-poop-stains-from-underwear.jpg

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

During peak events you have to bring supply inline with demand.  We have been using a "saver switch" on our AC units in Minnesota for decades.  I get a 10% discount in the summer to allow them to cycle our AC during peak times.  The house might increase 2 degrees but no big deal.

This is the same sort of system but it just allows an increase to the grid supply during peak times.  Makes sense to take advantage of batteries connected to the grid if possible.  Draw the batteries down during peak and then recharge when demand has dropped.  They will probably do the same with EVs in the future as well.  

Peaking power is VERY expensive for the utility companies.

Next thing you know they will walk through the door and start raiding the fridge... :lol:

"Allow"... yikes...

2 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

They would also do fine with a 1000 sq ft house.... think of the savings!

2 minutes ago, Snake said:

Next thing you know they will walk through the door and start raiding the fridge... :lol:

"Allow"... yikes...

They tried that here during Wynne's Liberal tenure. Install thermostats so "they" can control what they deem is necessary as far as heat and cooling go.

They were also on a kick to get people to do things after hours/off peak, purchase energy efficient appliances, etc but when Wynne and the Liberals realized how much revenue they lost, people were handed whopping electrical bills to make up the difference. 

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/wallace-hydro-customer-debt-and-disconnections-soar-under-kathleen-wynne

https://www.macleans.ca/news/it-was-my-mistake-wynne-says-of-high-electricity-bills/

17 minutes ago, irv said:

They tried that here during Wynne's Liberal tenure. Install thermostats so "they" can control what they deem is necessary as far as heat and cooling go.

They were also on a kick to get people to do things after hours/off peak, purchase energy efficient appliances, etc but when Wynne and the Liberals realized how much revenue they lost, people were handed whopping electrical bills to make up the difference. 

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/wallace-hydro-customer-debt-and-disconnections-soar-under-kathleen-wynne

https://www.macleans.ca/news/it-was-my-mistake-wynne-says-of-high-electricity-bills/

Blows my fucking mind...

27 minutes ago, Snake said:

"Allow"... yikes...

Up to 15 minutes on, 15 minutes off.  My wife keeps it at 68 degrees in the summer.  I think we are going to be aight.  :lol:

They used to only implement it a few times a year for cooling but it seems to be happening a lot more now.  I'm sure it has nothing to do with shutting down fossil fuel plants and high energy prices.

1 hour ago, Badger** said:

The back doors looked this?? 

Tesla-Model-X-2-640x353.jpg

thats an X so yes 100k and thats the highest end "best" product they make with creaking rattling and poor panel fit.  

49 minutes ago, Snake said:

"Allow"... yikes...

that swhat i really want to go back to,  more like 1800 but still half what i have

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

thats an X so yes 100k and thats the highest end "best" product they make with creaking rattling and poor panel fit.  

that swhat i really want to go back to,  more like 1800 but still half what i have

No, no... you signed up for the 10% discount so you must go to 1,000...