Check your account email address ×

Chris Craft

• Platinum Contributing Member

On May 20, 1861, Christopher Columbus Smith was born in St. Clair County, Michigan. After developing an interest in boats when his family moved to Algonac, he would go on to found the Chris-Craft Boats company, a worldwide boating empire that became synonymous with speed and craftsmanship. 

Learn more: https://detroithistorical.org/learn/encyclopedia-of-detroit/smith-christopher-columbus

5ADBD7DC-692C-40BE-A517-129D4715EE4E.thumb.jpeg.7a647d43d42f3767934dacb9b459181f.jpeg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, sleepybrew said:

not wood but i'm prepping my boat tomorrow. skipped last year due to rain and the river being full of shit. real nice on the hudson

finding a house boat and touring the entire Erie canal is on my bucket list

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Kivalo said:

Love those old school wooden boats!!  :bc:

x2 :bc:

The Adirondack Museum used to have a good display of some old wooden boats :thumb:

37 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

That would be cool. So would the Mississippi :thumb:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ckf said:

The Adirondack Museum used to have a good display of some old wooden boats :thumb:

but I live within a 1/4 mile of the Erie canal

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kivalo said:

Love those old school wooden boats!!  :bc:

I had a chance to buy 2 wooden Chris Craft cabin cruisers a few years back for $500, 1 30' the other 28', rebuilt motor in 30 but needed restore 28 was more or less parts boat, day I was going to go yo plop down the coin I got there and some guy was sawing them up for the mahagony wood, cried that day as I had been spying them out for years, the were in Monteuzuma NY, so you might know the ones I am talking about

Winnepesaukee used ta' have boat races for these old wooden boats. I don't know if they still do it.

I think there might also be a classic boat museum/club in Wolfeboro. 

6 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

Winnepesaukee used ta' have boat races for these old wooden boats. I don't know if they still do it.

A old friend restores Chris Crafts on Lake Winnipesaukee. He has won many awards and sold his boats across the US.

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, 01mxz800 said:

https://eriecanaladventures.com/366-2/

55 minutes ago, ckf said:

https://www.abm.org/  this is in then 1000 Islands

Plus the lake next door to me, Skaneateles, has an antique boat show every summer, Cool boats!!!  :bc:

• Like 2

• Gold Member
24 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

I had a chance to buy 2 wooden Chris Craft cabin cruisers a few years back for $500, 1 30' the other 28', rebuilt motor in 30 but needed restore 28 was more or less parts boat, day I was going to go yo plop down the coin I got there and some guy was sawing them up for the mahagony wood, cried that day as I had been spying them out for years, the were in Monteuzuma NY, so you might know the ones I am talking about

Is that at the little marina on the Rt 90 bridge?? Near the Averdi depot?

my grandfather's old chris craft was sitting on blocks at Kaitlyn in Sodus last time I was up that way.   :bc:

12 hours ago, ckf said:

adirondack museum has a cool boat building. my girlfriend had to drag me out of there. a good trip for us is up the hudson , and through the locks to lake champlain. i was supposed to d it and stay at a friend's house on the lake , but it poured rain that weekend and i backed out. you can also take a left in to the erie canal after the first lock in troy. that's the lock my buddy drove his checkmate off at 70 mph. 

Troy Federal Lock on the Hudson River - YouTube

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kivalo said:

Is that at the little marina on the Rt 90 bridge?? Near the Averdi depot?

my grandfather's old chris craft was sitting on blocks at Kaitlyn in Sodus last time I was up that way.   :bc:

Yes

Neighbor down the road has a beautiful old restored Chris Craft.  If money wasn't an object, an old boat like that on a lake with a 3 car boat garage, for a couple other modern options would be awesome.  There are a couple beautiful old wooden boats always cruising around Block Island and out in Long Island Sound.

48098BAE-7025-48F3-B32A-198FD5C3EA4C.jpeg

155743E4-E03F-40E5-9988-61D99BBE6655.jpeg

Edited by DriftBusta
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Polaris 550 said:

there is.  the Barnard family owns a bunch of vintage Chris Crafts both in Wolfeboro and on Cape cod at Quissett harbor.  Bruce had a 190? 24' runabout/ hull #4 in the shop to restore some years ago.  love the lines of that hull :thumbsup:

• Like 1