Carver, Hygear or Monster?

• Jimmy Snacks changed the title to Carver, Hygear or Monster?
  • Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Carver for Fox, no question about it.  Mike can also custom valve it for your weight and riding style.

Thanks!

19 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Carver for Fox, no question about it.  Mike can also custom valve it for your weight and riding style.

And if you send them in right now you might have them by the time the snow flys next season.  Maybe...

For a standard service I would just find someone locally to do them.

• Like 1

Just now, teamgreen02 said:

And if you send them in right now you might have them by the time the snow flys next season.  Maybe...

I sent my zero pro X's in to Carver in  September and had them back in October.  Personally I feel they're worth the wait if there is one. 

• Like 1

I've always use Deycore or what is now Steve Dey shock service.  He has revalved a bunch of mine.  Had one miss as he thought I was motherfucking superman when we first met but I think that was my youthful exuberance misleading him.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/4/2022 at 9:37 PM, Cat45 said:

I've heard lot's of good things about hygear. Carver has always done my stuff and I've been extremely happy with it

I'm not a fan of Hygear.  Never had any luck at all trying to deal with them.
I'm an hour or so from them, and do everything through Carver (I do rebuilds in house, get all my parts and valving from Carver) Anything they have in stock ships same day, and Mike is awesome to work with.

8 hours ago, krom said:

I'm not a fan of Hygear.  Never had any luck at all trying to deal with them.
I'm an hour or so from them, and do everything through Carver (I do rebuilds in house, get all my parts and valving from Carver) Anything they have in stock ships same day, and Mike is awesome to work with.

I used to do all my own plus rebuild for other people and got all my stuff from carver. Ran out of time to do it after starting  a new business years ago. Still have alot of the tools and nitrogen setup but I'm sure it's pretty out dated now. I just send my stuff to them for revalves and service now. Been pretty happy, not sure the higher price of hygear would equal better shocks for me these days. Getting older and slower now....

• 1 month later...

Today I sent qs3r's to Carver for service.  Never used Carver and for a basic service I don't think its really a big deal who does shocks as long as it's a reputable experienced guy.  But I don't know if there's any tricks to these shocks and I figure Carver probably has the most experience (besides Fox) with them and there will for sure be no issues with servicing.

For what it's worth, you can also have Fox directly service them.  They're a little more pricey though.

On 8/11/2022 at 11:03 PM, mnstang said:

Today I sent qs3r's to Carver for service.  Never used Carver and for a basic service I don't think its really a big deal who does shocks as long as it's a reputable experienced guy.  But I don't know if there's any tricks to these shocks and I figure Carver probably has the most experience (besides Fox) with them and there will for sure be no issues with servicing.

For what it's worth, you can also have Fox directly service them.  They're a little more pricey though.

The reason fox charges more is they do a full rebuild. The other shops will replace the usual wear parts or what needs to be replaced. The super cheap guys dump the oil and do a nitrogen charge.

On 8/16/2022 at 1:42 AM, Not greg b said:

The reason fox charges more is they do a full rebuild. The other shops will replace the usual wear parts or what needs to be replaced. The super cheap guys dump the oil and do a nitrogen charge.

For the dumber ones around here - what's involved in a full rebuild as opposed to replacing the oil and doing a nitrogen charge and replacing bad seals if needed?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/4/2022 at 12:25 PM, teamgreen02 said:

Yep going on a month now with my shocks and they still haven't even got to them yet.  Regretting using Carver.

I was thinking of sending some shocks to carver - are they really backed up a month? I don't need them back anytime soon but that seems like a strange delay.

I had DLS do some shocks years ago and he seemed to do good work too with a revalve. C27 shock doc is another guy I've seen recommended. 

Hard to know who to work with on this and I'll need to ship them no matter where I send them.

On 9/8/2022 at 9:41 AM, Art Vandelay said:

I was thinking of sending some shocks to carver - are they really backed up a month? I don't need them back anytime soon but that seems like a strange delay.

I had DLS do some shocks years ago and he seemed to do good work too with a revalve. C27 shock doc is another guy I've seen recommended. 

Hard to know who to work with on this and I'll need to ship them no matter where I send them.

Mine arrived there on August 12 and today is September 9 and they still haven't got to them.  And I called a few weeks in to make sure they did receive them.  I'm pretty close to paying them to ship them back to me so I can use a different business.  I called a day before sending in to make sure it was ok and a good time and he said yep go ahead and send them.  Didn't say anything about being a month or more behind or I wouldn't have went with them.

• 2 weeks later...