Check your account email address ×

Study finds ivermectin, the horse drug Joe Rogan championed as a COVID treatment, does nothing to cure the virus

Ivermectin: a multifaceted drug of Nobel prize-honoured distinction with indicated efficacy against a new global scourge, COVID-19

Affiliations expand
Free PMC article

In 2015, the Nobel Committee for Physiology or Medicine, in its only award for treatments of infectious diseases since six decades prior, honored the discovery of ivermectin (IVM), a multifaceted drug deployed against some of the world's most devastating tropical diseases. Since March 2020, when IVM was first used against a new global scourge, COVID-19, more than 20 randomized clinical trials (RCTs) have tracked such inpatient and outpatient treatments. Six of seven meta-analyses of IVM treatment RCTs reporting in 2021 found notable reductions in COVID-19 fatalities, with a mean 31% relative risk of mortality vs. controls. During mass IVM treatments in Peru, excess deaths fell by a mean of 74% over 30 days in its ten states with the most extensive treatments. Reductions in deaths correlated with the extent of IVM distributions in all 25 states with p < 0.002. Sharp reductions in morbidity using IVM were also observed in two animal models, of SARS-CoV-2 and a related betacoronavirus. The indicated biological mechanism of IVM, competitive binding with SARS-CoV-2 spike protein, is likely non-epitope specific, possibly yielding full efficacy against emerging viral mutant strains.

Keywords: COVID-19; H. pylori; SARS-CoV-2; ivermectin; spike protein.

Ivermectin: a multifaceted drug of Nobel prize-honoured distinction with indicated efficacy against a new global scourge, COVID-19

Show more
Add to Mendeley
Cite
Under a Creative Commons license
Open access

Abstract

In 2015, the Nobel Committee for Physiology or Medicine, in its only award for treatments of infectious diseases since six decades prior, honoured the discovery of ivermectin (IVM), a multifaceted drug deployed against some of the world’s most devastating tropical diseases. Since March 2020, when IVM was first used against a new global scourge, COVID-19, more than 20 randomized clinical trials (RCTs) have tracked such inpatient and outpatient treatments. Six of seven meta-analyses of IVM treatment RCTs reporting in 2021 found notable reductions in COVID-19 fatalities, with a mean 31% relative risk of mortality vs. controls. During mass IVM treatments in Peru, excess deaths fell by a mean of 74% over 30 days in its ten states with the most extensive treatments. Reductions in deaths correlated with the extent of IVM distributions in all 25 states with p < 0.002. Sharp reductions in morbidity using IVM were also observed in two animal models, of SARS-CoV-2 and a related betacoronavirus. The indicated biological mechanism of IVM, competitive binding with SARS-CoV-2 spike protein, is likely non-epitope specific, possibly yielding full efficacy against emerging viral mutant strains.

While ivermectin was originally used to treat river blindness, it has also been repurposed to treat other human parasitic infections. ISSOUF SANOGO/AFP via Getty Images

Ivermectin is a Nobel Prize-winning wonder drug – but not for COVID-19

Published: October 14, 2021 8.15am EDT

Author

1. image-20211012-25-s5jln6.jpgJeffrey R. Aeschlimann

Associate Professor of Pharmacy, University of Connecticut

Disclosure statement

Jeffrey R. Aeschlimann has received funding from the NIH for collaborative research projects focusing on bacterial antibiotic resistance.

Partners

University of Connecticut provides funding as a member of The Conversation US.

View all partners

CC BY ND
We believe in the free flow of information
Republish our articles for free, online or in print, under a Creative Commons license.
Republish this article

Ivermectin is an over 30-year-old wonder drug that treats life- and sight-threatening parasitic infections. Its lasting influence on global health has been so profound that two of the key researchers in its discovery and development won the Nobel Prize in 2015.

I’ve been an infectious disease pharmacist for over 25 years. I’ve also managed patients who delayed proper treatment for their severe COVID-19 infections because they thought ivermectin could cure them.

Although ivermectin has been a game-changer for people with certain infectious diseases, it isn’t going to save patients from COVID-19 infection. In fact, it could cost them their lives.

Let me tell you a short story about the history of ivermectin.

Get facts about the coronavirus pandemic and the latest research
Science newsletter

Developing ivermectin for animal use

Ivermectin was first identified in the 1970s during a veterinary drug screening project at Merck Pharmaceuticals. Researchers focused on discovering chemicals that could potentially treat parasitic infections in animals. Common parasites include nematodes, such as flatworms and roundworms, and arthropods, such as fleas and lice. All of these infectious organisms are quite different from viruses.

Merck partnered with the Kitasato Institute, a medical research facility in Japan. Satoshi Omura and his team isolated a group of chemicals called avermectin from bacteria found in a single soil sample near a Japanese golf course. To my knowledge, avermectin has yet to be found in any other soil sample in the world.

Research on avermectin continued for approximately five years. Soon, Merck and the Kitasato Institute developed a less toxic form they named ivermectin. It was approved in 1981 for commercial use in veterinary medicine for parasitic infections in livestock and domestic pets with the brand name Ivomec.

4 minutes ago, toslow said:

ivermectin has “no significant effects” in treating COVID.

doesn’t say zero effects 

There’s statistically no difference, but this seems appropriate again.

96E0B65D-43AC-482D-92CD-DB6BD3CD3B40.png

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, akvanden said:

There’s statistically no difference, but this seems appropriate again.

96E0B65D-43AC-482D-92CD-DB6BD3CD3B40.png

Once again you insert yourself into a thread you pretend to have knowledge about 

Bravo 👏 

or better yet look up the difference in the two quotes 

Edited by toslow

5 minutes ago, toslow said:

Once again you insert yourself into a thread you pretend to have knowledge about 

Bravo 👏 

We’re all pretending, it’s just a game of who pretends better. :bc:

• Haha 1

"Our study aimed to describe SARS-CoV2 infection and death rates in African countries that participated in an intensive Ivermectin mass campaign carried out to control onchocerciasis and compare them with those of countries that did not participate"

"Results: After controlling for different factors, including the Human Development Index (HDI), APOC countries (vs. non-APOC), show 28% lower mortality (0.72; 95% CI: 0.67-0.78) and 8% lower rate of infection (0.92; 95% CI: 0.91-0.93) due to COVID-19"

"Conclusions: The incidence in mortality rates and number of cases is significantly lower among the APOC countries compared to non-APOC countries. That a mass public health preventive campaign against COVID-19 may have taken place, inadvertently, in some African countries with massive community ivermectin use is an attractive hypothesis".
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33795896/

Another study from the National Institute of Health.

Results and discussion
Our study compared the incidence of COVID-19 among countries with different PCT campaigns and those countries in which PCT is non-existent. It is perhaps obvious that the latter group is by far the largest. It should also not be surprising that this set of samples had a rather large variability (Fig. 1 ). However, in spite of this, the difference between nations that deploy PCT using ivermectin and those that do not use any PCT turned out to be highly significant (adjusted significance P < 0.01). These initial results were obtained on 15 April 2020 and because at that time SARS-CoV-2 was still being detected in new countries on an almost daily basis, we chose to monitor the situation and observe whether this correlation would over time become less significant. We updated our calculations and added additional newly affected countries several times throughout the month of May 2020 and noticed that the observed association between ivermectin MDA and lower COVID-19 incidence actually grew strictly stronger over time. By 5 June 2020, the adjusted significance had improved to P < 0.001, actually reported by IBM SPSS Statistics as 0.000. It has remained at that level since.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7698683/

And another one.
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....26.21254377v1
"Conclusions The morbidity and mortality in the onchocerciasis endemic countries are lesser than those in the non-endemic ones. The community-directed onchocerciasis treatment with ivermectin is the most reasonable explanation for the decrease in morbidity and fatality rate in Africa. In areas where ivermectin is distributed to and used by the entire population, it leads to a significant reduction in mortality"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

It's because it doesn't work.

FPjo4LnaQAAykZb-1.thumb.jpeg.c43949df0338bb93179357632c13c627.jpeg

It’s to protect stupid people from themselves. You know, that false sense of security that can give false hope to people.

Gotta love those randomized double blind, high quality clinical trials that continue to repeat the same thing over and over and over and over.

I guess you’re all back to drinking bleach then. 

Despite months of warnings that it’s unsafe, some Americans are still attempting to self-treat for coronavirus by drinking bleach products, prompting Georgia officials to send out a warning that doing so could be fatal.

Silly fucks aren’t even mixing it with koolaid. 

Why the Covid cult of ivermectin won't die

The rise of the ivermectin cult is one of the most nonsensical storylines — in a sea of nonsensical storylines — to emerge during the pandemic. Even now, as Covid begins to become a less dominant force in our lives, the ivermectin bunkum continues.

There have been several recent large, well-done, clinical trials, including one published in the New England Journal of Medicine on Wednesday, that definitively show, according to one of the study’s authors, “there’s really no sign of any benefit.”  

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/ivermectin-myths-make-covid-vaccine-test-psas-harder-sell-rcna22901

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 3/31/2022 at 12:31 PM, spin_dry said:

Same news source.  :lol:  Whose study do you trust more, Brazil or Japan?

https://news.yahoo.com/japans-kowa-says-ivermectin-effective-082516933.html

20 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Same news source.  :lol:  Whose study do you trust more, Brazil or Japan?

https://news.yahoo.com/japans-kowa-says-ivermectin-effective-082516933.html

It actually doesn’t matter to me. I don’t plan on taking it. But it’s fun to kick at the nest and see who comes out to play. 

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

It actually doesn’t matter to me. I don’t plan on taking it. But it’s fun to kick at the nest and see who comes out to play. 

You should be canceled for spreading misinformation 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

:lmao: You're still thinking about COVID.  

Edited by Highmark

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

:lmao: You're still thinking about COVID.  

I’m asymptomatic. Nothing to think about. Apparently I had it some time ago. I’m double protected. Double antibodies. Invincible. Not even a sniffle. 

51 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I’m asymptomatic. Nothing to think about. Apparently I had it some time ago. I’m double protected. Double antibodies. Invincible. Not even a sniffle. 

Not as invincible as me.   No jabs....no infection.