Check your account email address ×

Solar Employs More People In U.S... than Oil, Coal And Gas Combined

37 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

We're late to the party, but we've got 40%-50% of the world's reserves.  I don't see any hypocrisy.

Canada has got plenty of reserves yet we are letting others do the dirty work when we should own the technology.   Got nothing against renewables,  but it's not as clean as everyone thinks,  but with progress,  we are getting there. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
12 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Canada has got plenty of reserves yet we are letting others do the dirty work when we should own the technology.   Got nothing against renewables,  but it's not as clean as everyone thinks,  but with progress,  we are getting there. 

Yep.   Necessity is the mother of invention. 

5 hours ago, Anler said:

Well here in Nazi-Indiana they have you by the balls. The electric and gas companies a few years ago announced that they were making record profits and were going to double the salaries of their board members. They also announced they were going to raise rates 15%. :lol: I am ready to do anything that sticks it in their ass...

2 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

It's likely cleaner than everyone thinks

7 hours ago, Mainecat said:

5 years ago your delivery charge was 25 to 30% of your electric power bill, now its 60% plus. The writing is on the wall and its solar.

is that the wall in the empty parking lot at solyndra?

we are a long long long long  way from no power corps .

my fav is in the city when some one wants to do panels or small turbine and there open minded Prius driving neighbors fight it tooth and nail be cause it is a eyesore .

6 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Technology is always changing.  I am looking at geothermal to my cottage rebuild in a few years so I will be looking at different systems as well.

are u drilling well holes or digging out a 8ft deep football field? back 20 yrs ago every job we did that went geo was digging out and laying coils of pex and backfill and was only done at homes with land and no access to nat gas . now 90% are well holes even in the tiny  city lots with nat gas or not .

still taking over a decade for break even with the cost of Nat gas so cheep . but with the welfare attached it is far more attainable .

4 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

are u drilling well holes or digging out a 8ft deep football field? back 20 yrs ago every job we did that went geo was digging out and laying coils of pex and backfill and was only done at homes with land and no access to nat gas . now 90% are well holes even in the tiny  city lots with nat gas or not .

still taking over a decade for break even with the cost of Nat gas so cheep . but with the welfare attached it is far more attainable .

That and heat pumps don't last very long. I can see the pay back in the south with the a/c running all the time. The north,not so much. Much cheaper ways to heat a house. 

Edited by Woodtick

15 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

That and heat pumps don't last very long. I can see the pay back in the south with the a/c running all the time. The north,not so much. Much cheaper ways to heat a house. 

I was at a home last week 1st 1 I was on when a closed loop field system went in . prob 20yrs .early pex  that system was fine for about 17yrs and at about breakeven it started really costing him. first it was the exchanger started to leak then pump . ok fine old stuff breaks . but now there is a major leak  like 8gal a week . guess the sink hole will revel the spot in time . not good hope for his sake it is not the old pex getting brittle and this is just the start

Edited by Ez ryder
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

It's likely cleaner than everyone thinks

It's much cleaner than anyone thinks. Hell oil naturally seeped into the Athabaskan river for centuries from the tar sands but now that we are developing the tar sands all of a sudden a few nutcases think it's the end of the world. No oil production is clean. But the tar sands ain't near as bad as some let on 

25 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

We don't have nat gas,  either electricity or propane.   We have the land for it but not sure of the economics. 

3 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

We don't have nat gas,  either electricity or propane.   We have the land for it but not sure of the economics. 

The drill cost is usually the deal breaker on all of the jobs we look at.

1 minute ago, Woodtick said:

The drill cost is usually the deal breaker on all of the jobs we look at.

Yup,  I haven't gotten a cost yet but will at least get an estimate  and then decide if it's worth it.   Have the land and will be tearing up the property regardless so might as well.   Otherwise my money is better off invested. 

2 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

SCR electric heat has come along way. You don't have that inrush of 30 amp contacters pulling in and out. It's the same thing as putting a drive on a motor. 

I work in automation,  I control thousands of vfd's,  ssr's,  scr's etc and split time proportion temp cascade loops.   I have ssr's currently at the cottage and devised my own central heat system,   but the insane seasonal electrical rates does not make this viable going forward to a new build. 

• Like 1

1 rout is to but a old well truck dig your well and your holes and sell the truck. I know 3 guys who went this rout together  in there up north places  then at home in the city .they actually made money when they sold the truck. not much only 200bucks but better than a kick in the ass. and now when they tell the story they made money on the deal .

if u have a big open field and a dozer start digging it up. biggest downside to that is a few yrs of sink holes to patch in as the earth settles .

Edited by Ez ryder

8 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

What are you paying during peak demand? (Per Kilwt). You are probably to small to buy Bulk power? I'm kidding on the bulk power.

Of the top I would say 0.20 /kWh.   About $400 month for just heating at 48 degf for a small 1300sqft home. 

Yes for the winter months and most of the time it's vacant.  400 is per month,  so 1200 for three months.  We pay seasonal rates,  much higher than normal.  Temps are about 

-15degc or guessing 10f.  Summers not to bad, likely 120.

Edited by ArcticCrusher

Unless the return is under 10 years I wouldn't do it. We can't get our industrial customers to bite on anything that isnt  less than 5 years. See what they are hitting you with at peak. I would bet that the 20 cents is at none peak demand. See if you can negotiate  that peak demand with the threat of a propane furnace install ?