Check your account email address ×

Gripper skis vs. Pro Steers ... specifically on Matryx flat land sleds

Bontz

I do not have a Matryx, but used to always run C&A skis up through the time I bought a Rush.  That sled HATED the C&A's.  My response was to try them all.  Bought Grippers, Curves, PowderPros.  I've tried them all on my Assault and think the Grippers are a good compromise for most although the PP's turn better.  I kept the PP's on mine and expect to have near identical results on the Matryx.

59 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

the stock Cat trail skis aren't anything spectacular, just 'ok'

getting the front to rear balance for ideal ski pressure requires tinkering, and it's tinkering I bet the majority never bother to do or understand.  just crank up the torsions, tighten the ski springs and GO!!!  :lol:   

the FTS spring, is where the magic happens ;)

No argument on either point there. Most people don’t want to mess with front skid springs because they can be a pain, imo. Matter of fact, I just put my shocks back on the sled and skid yesterday and if you were to go check the FTS on that skid, you’d find the jam nut loose on the FTS. :bc: 

To Chris’s point, I don’t think I ever saw a Firecat without C&As on it. EVERY F7 guy I rode with had a set. :lol:

6 hours ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

No argument on either point there. Most people don’t want to mess with front skid springs because they can be a pain, imo. Matter of fact, I just put my shocks back on the sled and skid yesterday and if you were to go check the FTS on that skid, you’d find the jam nut loose on the FTS. :bc: 

To Chris’s point, I don’t think I ever saw a Firecat without C&As on it. EVERY F7 guy I rode with had a set. :lol:

check this out - with no weight on the sled.  building Cat spindles?  whutdahfuck?

edit, back tracked and watched his previous alterations which include a 136" Big Wheel swap, Ice Age rails and some other shit. 

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

check this out - with no weight on the sled.  building Cat spindles?  whutdahfuck?

edit, back tracked and watched his previous alterations which include a 136" Big Wheel swap, Ice Age rails and some other shit. 

I bet that think steers like a dump truck. RMK spindles are taller in the dimension he wanted. Edge chassis Pro-Xs were set up like he is doing and people hated them. Everyone drilled a second set of holes in the tunnel for the front arm to lower it and put the front of the skid back on the ground.  

6 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I bet that think steers like a dump truck. RMK spindles are taller in the dimension he wanted. Edge chassis Pro-Xs were set up like he is doing and people hated them. Everyone drilled a second set of holes in the tunnel for the front arm to lower it and put the front of the skid back on the ground.  

watched a few more of his videos (get to the point man), he sold it before completion and has an XCR coming

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2021 at 3:08 PM, Crnr2Crnr said:

Must be his first snowmobile.

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Giving a set of these a try...supposed to be the shiz.👊🏻🇺🇸

C96ED005-0A12-4C9D-B3BF-DEDB0D9FB607.thumb.jpeg.9078b3ad4f7e44dcd6193b978c14167f.jpeg

They do have A LOT more steering that a lot of skis. This also translated to a LOT of darting and hard steering on well set up snow/trails for me. The sled I had them on wasn’t ridden much on trail though so I never worried too much about it. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
32 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

They do have A LOT more steering that a lot of skis. This also translated to a LOT of darting and hard steering on well set up snow/trails for me. The sled I had them on wasn’t ridden much on trail though so I never worried too much about it. 

I’m looking for better performance on loose trails as the pro steers like to wash out in the corners...supposedly using the rear mounting holes on these will make them steer harder but with less darting. We shall see!👊🏻🇺🇸

BTW the instructions from SLP give torque numbers for mounting the saddle to the spindle but not for ski to saddle..I just gave ‘em a good crank..any suggestions?✌🏻

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

As for the torque spec I can't remember what I used.  I thought it was listed either on the ski or the carbide.

17 minutes ago, Bontz said:

I'm apparently dumb AND lucky ... with all of the times I've taken skis off I have never used a torque spec when putting them back on.  And knock on wood, have never had an issue.

I found a video from SLP where the tech was installing a set of Mohawks on SB Assault and saddle to ski is 12 foot pounds but yeah I normally just crank the fuckers down and call it good!👍🏼🤣🇺🇸

On 12/21/2021 at 5:12 AM, Jimmy Snacks said:

I’m looking for better performance on loose trails as the pro steers like to wash out in the corners...supposedly using the rear mounting holes on these will make them steer harder but with less darting. We shall see!👊🏻🇺🇸

BTW the instructions from SLP give torque numbers for mounting the saddle to the spindle but not for ski to saddle..I just gave ‘em a good crank..any suggestions?✌🏻

I believe it’s 20 ft/lbs, but I’m not sure how critical it is.

The Mohawks use the same carbides as the PP’s and Straight Line Tracking skis, and I’d expect similar trail manners if the bottom of the keel is the same.  We’ve used SLT’s on our Polaris for years and don’t have any problem with darting, good ski - my wife’s favorite.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 8:52 AM, Crnr2Crnr said:

the stock Cat trail skis aren't anything spectacular, just 'ok'

getting the front to rear balance for ideal ski pressure requires tinkering, and it's tinkering I bet the majority never bother to do or understand.  just crank up the torsions, tighten the ski springs and GO!!!  :lol:   

the FTS spring, is where the magic happens ;)

Putting a solid suspension tune takes time and effort.  Period.  The “magic” is what happens when you think you have it “just about perfect” and decide, maybe another little tweak here and there.  Yep.

On 11/27/2021 at 9:15 AM, Bontz said:

I wonder how many Cat guys are putting aftermarket skis on their sleds based on the absolute shit skis that used to come on the Firecats?  I know that's where my experience began with changing out skis ... I started with USI's on my Cats, and the 2007 Barney ended up getting the last of the VX1's (USI).  When I went to Polaris in '09, I continued to go with aftermarkets strictly out of habit, and did a new set of X2's from USI & then went to Curve XS skis.  By the mid 2010's guys were claiming how the ProSteers worked pretty well with a good set of carbides, so I gave them a shot with my 2018 and 2019 sleds.  Add to that, aftermarket skis seemed like they had gone up by about 40% ... so I decided to stay with the OEM's and have run Bergstrom's the past several years.

I just don’t think there is an OEM ski worth a shit.  I don’t ride with anybody that uses them.  I think they are made for flimsy forgiveness for subtle sledders.  All garbage.

On 12/18/2021 at 6:08 PM, Crnr2Crnr said:

here's where they explain what sucks about Polaris skis and why @Zambroski is using the wrong ones on his.  this is from a Polaris dealer...

Good lord.  Show starts with a “wheelie” pic in the intro followed by newbie info.  Seems about right.

34 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Putting a solid suspension tune takes time and effort.  Period.  The “magic” is what happens when you think you have it “just about perfect” and decide, maybe another little tweak here and there.  Yep.

I just don’t think there is an OEM ski worth a shit.  I don’t ride with anybody that uses them.  I think they are made for flimsy forgiveness for subtle sledders.  All garbage.

Good lord.  Show starts with a “wheelie” pic in the intro followed by newbie info.  Seems about right.

I'll at least give them credit for showing a cheap mass produced ski, and then the actual side by side differences between four quality skis.  

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I'll at least give them credit for showing a cheap mass produced ski, and then the actual side by side differences between four quality skis.  

I give them that too.  The difference between my choice of CA and OEM is almost silly.  Wanna test your “lean ability”?  Run these fucking 2inch keels  into a corner at high speed.  The sled will wait for you on the trail after you peel yourself out of the rhubarb.  Also, the windscreen….that you grabbed onto on your way over the bars awkwardly is toast…just leave it there.3F73EC4C-DE8E-4D6F-90AD-F2333CB78EC6.jpeg9509D21C-F2B6-4E6B-98BD-CE47813D9F61.jpeg