Check your account email address ×

Found my diff noise

3 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

How does that even happen? Was the wheel loose or something? Don’t tell me someone slotted the wheels out to fit a dodge lug pattern lol.

Wheel came loose. Wife was using it for a few weeks while her car was in shop . Thank god it never came off. Getting rims and crap tomorrow lol. She complained about the noise and it got worse so I pulled it off road for a month.  I drove it before I parked it and it sounded like something let go in the diff

• Like 1

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, snatchslayer said:

Wheel came loose. Wife was using it for a few weeks while her car was in shop . Thank god it never came off. Getting rims and crap tomorrow lol. She complained about the noise and it got worse so I pulled it off road for a month.  I drove it before I parked it and it sounded like something let go in the diff

Lucky it didn’t come off 👍 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

Lucky it stayed on.

Years ago I had to do some brake work on the front of my truck. A few days later I'm driving it and there are some strange clunks and bangs coming from the front, steering is a bit wonky. I'm limping it home to check things out, turn the corner 2 blocks from the house and I here a bang and I see one of my lug nuts shoot across the road and hit the curb on the other side. I pulled over and all the nuts are loose and 3 of them are missing. I walked back the way I came and fond the other 2.

When I reinstall wheels I always tighten them hand tight then drop the truck on the ground and get out the big bar to tighten. Guess I forgot that second part. I was on the highway just hours before that nut came off.   :ashamed:

• Like 2

• Gold Member
11 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Lucky it didn’t come off 👍 

I had a wheel come off a 78 bronco I had, worked it's way off the 4WD hub in the front and I was pulling a 2 place sled trailer at the time. :lol:

Luckily the tire didn't jump the snow bank and I found most of the lug nuts still inside the hub cap, I did have to replace the flat spotted brake rotor when I got home. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Lucky it stayed on.

Years ago I had to do some brake work on the front of my truck. A few days later I'm driving it and there are some strange clunks and bangs coming from the front, steering is a bit wonky. I'm limping it home to check things out, turn the corner 2 blocks from the house and I here a bang and I see one of my lug nuts shoot across the road and hit the curb on the other side. I pulled over and all the nuts are loose and 3 of them are missing. I walked back the way I came and fond the other 2.

When I reinstall wheels I always tighten them hand tight then drop the truck on the ground and get out the big bar to tighten. Guess I forgot that second part. I was on the highway just hours before that nut came off.   :ashamed:

Jesus lol

2 hours ago, snatchslayer said:

Is that even possible if torqued to spec, or did someone mess up?

• Gold Member
7 hours ago, akvanden said:

Is that even possible if torqued to spec, or did someone mess up?

They can come loose especially aluminum wheels even if torqued correctly. I think they say your supposed to retorque after roughly 50miles. I’m wonder to if there was rust on the collar of the hub so the wheel wasn’t sitting flush rust breaks away wheel loosens up.

1 hour ago, 800renegaderider said:

They can come loose especially aluminum wheels even if torqued correctly. I think they say your supposed to retorque after roughly 50miles. I’m wonder to if there was rust on the collar of the hub so the wheel wasn’t sitting flush rust breaks away wheel loosens up.

Those look like steel, dunno.

3 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

I had white aftermarket wheels on an old pickup truck that I owned years ago and if I didn't check them every week/couple of weeks, I have no doubt in my mind they would have backed off completely. IIRC, they were a universal type fitting wheel, not specific to my truck, and I believe that played a big part in it. I always torque my wheels and recheck them, as that is how I found this problem, and even if I increased the torque level (10-15 Ft pounds) it made no difference. Likely cheap lug nuts as well contributed to this but I have no idea honestly? 

White wheels.png

• Like 1

My first car was a '68 Beetle. Had a leaky axle seal in the back when I got it, I replaced it, but the drum back on, bolted on the wheels and called it done. Those had one big castle nut and cotter pin that held the drum on the axle, and four bolts (not nuts) to hold the wheel to the drum. What I didn't know is the torque spec for the castle nut is something like 120 ft lbs. I got it tight, but not that tight. 

A few weeks later (I had my license for about 3 months) I was on the highway. The nut worked loose, would up shearing the cotter pin, and fell into the hubcap. Drum and wheel came off the axle, got up in the fender. Was doing about 60, so it was quite a ride to the side of the road. 

I managed to get the drum back on, tightened it as best I could with no tools, and found a wire to put through the castle nut (bread tie or something like that). Limped to a shop. The guy got me a used drum, the spline was a mess from the axle riding in it. Put it back together and tightened everything up right, and it was fine after that. Wound up tearing off the running board, not that it mattered much on my $400 VW. As soon as the weather got cold, that thing had to go, no heat at all because the heater boxes were rotted, which was common. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Catalina said:

My first car was a '68 Beetle. Had a leaky axle seal in the back when I got it, I replaced it, but the drum back on, bolted on the wheels and called it done. Those had one big castle nut and cotter pin that held the drum on the axle, and four bolts (not nuts) to hold the wheel to the drum. What I didn't know is the torque spec for the castle nut is something like 120 ft lbs. I got it tight, but not that tight. 

A few weeks later (I had my license for about 3 months) I was on the highway. The nut worked loose, would up shearing the cotter pin, and fell into the hubcap. Drum and wheel came off the axle, got up in the fender. Was doing about 60, so it was quite a ride to the side of the road. 

I managed to get the drum back on, tightened it as best I could with no tools, and found a wire to put through the castle nut (bread tie or something like that). Limped to a shop. The guy got me a used drum, the spline was a mess from the axle riding in it. Put it back together and tightened everything up right, and it was fine after that. Wound up tearing off the running board, not that it mattered much on my $400 VW. As soon as the weather got cold, that thing had to go, no heat at all because the heater boxes were rotted, which was common. 

I'd love to get a bettle.  I always loved to cars

It was fun, but underpowered. Basic and clunky even for those days. As I said, not heat or defrost. But I got me around for a few months Has 100+K miles on it, I sold it for what I paid for it. Guy who bought it told me he was going to put the motor and trans into a dune buggy, and junk the rest. 

1 minute ago, Catalina said:

It was fun, but underpowered. Basic and clunky even for those days. As I said, not heat or defrost. But I got me around for a few months Has 100+K miles on it, I sold it for what I paid for it. Guy who bought it told me he was going to put the motor and trans into a dune buggy, and junk the rest. 

Daymn.  Im just going off memories of my dads when we were little. That no nonsense dash, engine noise and just the looks. I still like em, I'm sure if I drove one now it would be a different outcome lol. Stupid nostalgia lol