Check your account email address ×

Oil usage

Wife's 2007 Avalanche has 190,000 miles on it and was smoking on startup and using 1-2 quarts every 3,-4,000 miles, a friend told me about the right side valve cover replacement which I never heard before, anyhow I bought one on Amazon and all oil smoking and burning has stopped. Part of the PCV system is in the rt. cover and gets gummed up, the new cover has much larger passageway to the PCV valve in the engine.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Wife's 2007 Avalanche has 190,000 miles on it and was smoking on startup and using 1-2 quarts every 3,-4,000 miles, a friend told me about the right side valve cover replacement which I never heard before, anyhow I bought one on Amazon and all oil smoking and burning has stopped. Part of the PCV system is in the rt. cover and gets gummed up, the new cover has much larger passageway to the PCV valve in the engine.

Interesting. The only thing I ever heard about the oil consumption was it was due to the cylinder deactivation mode. The valve cover is a new one to me, especially on your year of vehicle.

I had an 09 Sierra and it was too early to have that problem as I thought it was the next model year after that that it started happening to? Our neighbor at our park was pulling his boat up to his when his truck went into limp mode or threw a code. He checked the dip stick and there was none showing.

Due to this problem, I believe GM's fix was to increase the oil capacity in all 5.3 trucks going forward. IIRC, my truck took about 5.7 liters of oil but the new ones were increased to 7 or 8 Liters? Regardless, that was the last GM truck I owned and it will be years, if ever, that I will own another one. 

16 minutes ago, irv said:

Interesting. The only thing I ever heard about the oil consumption was it was due to the cylinder deactivation mode. The valve cover is a new one to me, especially on your year of vehicle.

I had an 09 Sierra and it was too early to have that problem as I thought it was the next model year after that that it started happening to? Our neighbor at our park was pulling his boat up to his when his truck went into limp mode or threw a code. He checked the dip stick and there was none showing.

Due to this problem, I believe GM's fix was to increase the oil capacity in all 5.3 trucks going forward. IIRC, my truck took about 5.7 liters of oil but the new ones were increased to 7 or 8 Liters? Regardless, that was the last GM truck I owned and it will be years, if ever, that I will own another one. 

I have 3 Chevy's, this is the first one I've had any issues with other than normal maintenance, I've had such luck with Chevs or I would buy other brands.

The Avalanche holds 6 quarts, my couple year old one holds 8 as does my 3/4 ton.

Edited by XCR1250
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Interesting that’s what that lawsuit claimed one issue was the PCV was clogging. So a revised valve cover fixed the issue that’s good least it didn’t need rings or valve seals something pricey.

It really surprised me as I thought it was simply just wearing out due to the year and mileage on it, I was going to replace the engine as the vehicle is in almost perfect shape inside and out, no visible rust or interior damage.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

I have 3 Chevy's, this is the first one I've had any issues with other than normal maintenance, I've had such luck with Chevs or I would buy other brands.

The Avalanche holds 6 quarts, my could year old one holds 8 as does my 3/4 ton.

This is from 800's link, and it is the only thing I ever heard of. Like I mentioned, my 09 didn't have this problem, but, by far, it was the worst engine in any vehicle I have ever owned. Any idea what became of this lawsuit?: "The active fuel management compounds the oil burn problem, as well. The system uses an oil pressure relief valve that sprays oil directly onto the piston skirts, but this oil spray can allegedly overload the piston rings, leaking past the rings and burning off, or accumulating on the surface of the combustion chamber and causing carbon buildup"

3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

my 07 burned a quart plus between oil changes but only time there was any motor issues was a collapsed oil filter.  

How did that happen? Was it dented during installation or while off roading or something other? 

11 minutes ago, irv said:

How did that happen? Was it dented during installation or while off roading or something other? 

I’m guessing the internals collapsed. Not uncommon for the Frams for a long time.

2 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Anyone ever hear of changing the drivers side valve cover on a 5.3 Chevy to stop oil burning and startup smoking?

No but I was told by dealer over and over that a qt every 1000 mi was with in gm spec even on a 1 yr old truck with less than 30k on it . So that was the last gm I will ever own 

36 minutes ago, CFM said:

I’m guessing the internals collapsed. Not uncommon for the Frams for a long time.

I have never heard of that before either but I do know, once upon a time, Fram had some QC issues so I suppose that is not out of the realm of possibilities? 

Currently, Fram filters are all I use. Either the TG's or the Ultra's if they are on sale, and so far so good, with thousands and thousands of miles on them over the years. 

wasn't there a secret sauce they want people to add to the oil also? 

GM actually suggests to swap to a newer style valve cover with differed PCV. reading the whole TSB. they seem to spell it out as.. replace the valve covers.. clean out deposits the best you can including the AFM valve.. id it still prosaists then its ring replacement.

Condition

Some customers may comment about engine oil consumption of vehicles with higher mileage (approximately 48,000 to 64,000 km (30,000 to 40,000mi) and a service engine soon light being on and/or rough running engine. Verify that the PCV system is functioning properly. If the customer understands that some oil consumption is normal and still feels the consumption level is excessive, more than 1 quart per 2000 to 3000 miles of driving, perform the service indicated in this bulletin. It is no longer necessary to have the customer return multiple times to have the usage verified.

Cause

This condition may be caused by two conditions. Oil pulled through the PCV system or oil spray that is discharged from the AFM pressure relief valve within the crankcase. Under most driving conditions and drive cycles, the discharged oil does not cause a problem. Under certain drive cycles (extended high engine speed operation), in combination with parts at the high end of their tolerance specification, the oil spray quantity may be more than usual, resulting in excessive deposit formation in the piston ring grooves, causing increased oil consumption and cracked or fouled spark plugs (# 1 and/or # 7). Refer to the latest version of Corporate Bulletin Number 12-06-01-001.

Correction

Note:
  When installing the updated valve cover or reinstalling a used valve cover, verify that the baffles can hold water and do not leak. If any leaks are found, seal with RTV if possible or replace the valve cover. Thoroughly clean and dry the valve cover before installation.

Aluminum or Cast Iron Block - Oil in Intake Manifold - Install Updated Valve Cover on All Models Built Prior to February 1, 2011

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Cwhite138 said:

wasn't there a secret sauce they want people to add to the oil also? 

GM actually suggests to swap to a newer style valve cover with differed PCV. reading the whole TSB. they seem to spell it out as.. replace the valve covers.. clean out deposits the best you can including the AFM valve.. id it still prosaists then its ring replacement.

Condition

Some customers may comment about engine oil consumption of vehicles with higher mileage (approximately 48,000 to 64,000 km (30,000 to 40,000mi) and a service engine soon light being on and/or rough running engine. Verify that the PCV system is functioning properly. If the customer understands that some oil consumption is normal and still feels the consumption level is excessive, more than 1 quart per 2000 to 3000 miles of driving, perform the service indicated in this bulletin. It is no longer necessary to have the customer return multiple times to have the usage verified.

Cause

This condition may be caused by two conditions. Oil pulled through the PCV system or oil spray that is discharged from the AFM pressure relief valve within the crankcase. Under most driving conditions and drive cycles, the discharged oil does not cause a problem. Under certain drive cycles (extended high engine speed operation), in combination with parts at the high end of their tolerance specification, the oil spray quantity may be more than usual, resulting in excessive deposit formation in the piston ring grooves, causing increased oil consumption and cracked or fouled spark plugs (# 1 and/or # 7). Refer to the latest version of Corporate Bulletin Number 12-06-01-001.

Correction

Note:
  When installing the updated valve cover or reinstalling a used valve cover, verify that the baffles can hold water and do not leak. If any leaks are found, seal with RTV if possible or replace the valve cover. Thoroughly clean and dry the valve cover before installation.

Aluminum or Cast Iron Block - Oil in Intake Manifold - Install Updated Valve Cover on All Models Built Prior to February 1, 2011

GM Junk. Never again. 

HPIM0594 (Large).JPG

8 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

No but I was told by dealer over and over that a qt every 1000 mi was with in gm spec even on a 1 yr old truck with less than 30k on it . So that was the last gm I will ever own 

So 1 issue with 1 truck and you won't ever own another GM? Geez if I did that with the more than 75 cars & trucks I've owned since 1963 I wouldn't be able to own any brand ever again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, XCR1250 said:

So 1 issue with 1 truck and you won't ever own another GM? Geez if I did that with the more than 75 cars & trucks I've owned since 1963 I wouldn't be able to own any brand ever again.

Oh that and it could not go a year with our the fr end having to be rebuild over and over . The stereo quit working the guage cluster went out 2 times .don't even remember the rest but this was in 5 yrs time .  Mexico yep they build a quality truck . Fuck gm  and there Mexico junk 

20 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Oh that and it could not go a year with our the fr end having to be rebuild over and over . The stereo quit working the guage cluster went out 2 times .don't even remember the rest but this was in 5 yrs time .  Mexico yep they build a quality truck . Fuck gm  and there Mexico junk 

That must have been a Lemon, I would change brands in a heartbeat if I didn't have such good luck with my GM vehicles. I have owned Ford, GM and Chrysler vehicles since 1963, I had the best luck and longest lasting with GM's.. My 1986 Caprice wagon is still running, I sold it to a neighbor with almost 300,000 on it only major issues was the trans quit shifting into high gear, a local retired trans shop owner fixed it for about $400, car is still running today albeit a lot of rust on it now. I have never been brand loyal but stay with what gives me the longest service life with the least problems.

14 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

That must have been a Lemon, I would change brands in a heartbeat if I didn't have such good luck with my GM vehicles. I have owned Ford, GM and Chrysler vehicles since 1963, I had the best luck and longest lasting with GM's.. My 1986 Caprice wagon is still running, I sold it to a neighbor with almost 300,000 on it only major issues was the trans quit shifting into high gear, a local retired trans shop owner fixed it for about $400, car is still running today albeit a lot of rust on it now. I have never been brand loyal but stay with what gives me the longest service life with the least problems.

I had a lot if gm up to that 04 . I am not the only one I have buds who had a lot of the same issues with there 05 04 gm trucks . That was early Mexico stuff . But from what I have been seeing they are not much better now .

Of I forgot just now about that drive line slop that gm kept telling me was normal . The clunking drive line just shit and they all had it then guess that is what made it normal 

40 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Every truck I owned, all GM, up to 09 was decent, especially my 97, but my 09 was a definite dud. New engine, 5.3, at 8,000 km's was just the start of it. I swore off GM trucks after that one and like I said earlier, it will be a long time, if ever, that I go back. My 13 Ram has been excellent and likely the best truck I have ever owned. 

22 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

I had a lot if gm up to that 04 . I am not the only one I have buds who had a lot of the same issues with there 05 04 gm trucks . That was early Mexico stuff . But from what I have been seeing they are not much better now .

Of I forgot just now about that drive line slop that gm kept telling me was normal . The clunking drive line just shit and they all had it then guess that is what made it normal 

My son recently purchase a 2010 Silverado, his first truck, and within a week he was complaining about that driveline clunk. He has dug into it and wanted to try all kinds of things but I told him to check out some forums first, which he did, and now he is completely frustrated/disappointed as he found out there is really nothing one can do about it. If I didn't know any better, he is now regretting not getting a 13 Ram I had found for him around the same time.