Check your account email address ×

Oil usage

52 minutes ago, irv said:

Every truck I owned, all GM, up to 09 was decent, especially my 97, but my 09 was a definite dud. New engine, 5.3, at 8,000 km's was just the start of it. I swore off GM trucks after that one and like I said earlier, it will be a long time, if ever, that I go back. My 13 Ram has been excellent and likely the best truck I have ever owned. 

My son recently purchase a 2010 Silverado, his first truck, and within a week he was complaining about that driveline clunk. He has dug into it and wanted to try all kinds of things but I told him to check out some forums first, which he did, and now he is completely frustrated/disappointed as he found out there is really nothing one can do about it. If I didn't know any better, he is now regretting not getting a 13 Ram I had found for him around the same time. 

It is better in tow mode . Keeps the rpm up a bit and shift points a bit higher and keeps drive line parts under a bit more tension so not as much GM junk slop clunk 

1 hour ago, irv said:

Every truck I owned, all GM, up to 09 was decent, especially my 97, but my 09 was a definite dud. New engine, 5.3, at 8,000 km's was just the start of it. I swore off GM trucks after that one and like I said earlier, it will be a long time, if ever, that I go back. My 13 Ram has been excellent and likely the best truck I have ever owned. 

My son recently purchase a 2010 Silverado, his first truck, and within a week he was complaining about that driveline clunk. He has dug into it and wanted to try all kinds of things but I told him to check out some forums first, which he did, and now he is completely frustrated/disappointed as he found out there is really nothing one can do about it. If I didn't know any better, he is now regretting not getting a 13 Ram I had found for him around the same time. 

47 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

It is better in tow mode . Keeps the rpm up a bit and shift points a bit higher and keeps drive line parts under a bit more tension so not as much GM junk slop clunk 

Screw all that, easy fix.

0038B44A-C8F5-4FF0-941F-5CCB10117777.jpeg

11 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

I had a lot if gm up to that 04 . I am not the only one I have buds who had a lot of the same issues with there 05 04 gm trucks . That was early Mexico stuff . But from what I have been seeing they are not much better now .

Of I forgot just now about that drive line slop that gm kept telling me was normal . The clunking drive line just shit and they all had it then guess that is what made it normal 

My 2000 3/4 ton plow truck had a clunk in the drive line which they fixed under warranty.

11 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

I had a lot if gm up to that 04 . I am not the only one I have buds who had a lot of the same issues with there 05 04 gm trucks . That was early Mexico stuff . But from what I have been seeing they are not much better now .

Of I forgot just now about that drive line slop that gm kept telling me was normal . The clunking drive line just shit and they all had it then guess that is what made it normal 

My 2000 3/4 ton plow truck had a clunk in the drive line which they fixed under warranty.

Oh, and I still have the 2000 truck, just brakes, batteries, tires and 1 starter is all I ever had to do to it. Left side tailgate locking device to truck body doesn't work I have to flip it each time before I close the gate, truck body is rust free.

2 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Almost Every 2004 up to not sure when 1/2 ton were full of driveline slop let off the gas then hit it and clunk . 

2 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Oh, and I still have the 2000 truck, just brakes, batteries, tires and 1 starter is all I ever had to do to it. Left side tailgate locking device to truck body doesn't work I have to flip it each time before I close the gate, truck body is rust free.

All the pre Mexico gm trucks were pretty solid.  

11 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Almost Every 2004 up to not sure when 1/2 ton were full of driveline slop let off the gas then hit it and clunk . 

I have only ever heard of this on the inter webzzz but it does line up with when the started putting the 4L65E in things.. although it should be no different than the 4L60e...  lower pressures to make it comfortable? backfiring.  Do you know what they fix was?? 

Is it people running them in AWD mode.. if you have every ripped one of those NP246 transfer cases apart it makes sense that it would bag.. big cluch pack in there for taking shock loads of the front axle in gauging and disengaging.. 

8 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

All the pre Mexico gm trucks were pretty solid.  

I usually check VINs to make sure i am buying US or Canada.  Made a mistake on 1 and got mexico but outside AC compressor was a really nice rig.   TBH i think most would be happy in any of the 3 trucks,  they all have compromises.   GMC looks the best and rides the best but has the worst interior,   Ford rides the worst but looks better than the Ram.  Ram has the best looking interior as long as you like the seats,  I have decided the bottom cushions too short in them and i prefer the physical buttons to the giant screen after spending a lot of miles in my buddies. Uconnect is better than Sync or the GM systems.  

1 minute ago, Cwhite138 said:

I have only ever heard of this on the inter webzzz but it does line up with when the started putting the 4L65E in things.. although it should be no different than the 4L60e...  lower pressures to make it comfortable? backfiring.  Do you know what they fix was?? 

Is it people running them in AWD mode.. if you have every ripped one of those NP246 transfer cases apart it makes sense that it would bag.. big cluch pack in there for taking shock loads of the front axle in gauging and disengaging.. 

driveline clunk was a minor issue,  i prob owned 8 2004+ trucks SUV's and notices it on a few.  Intermediate steering shaft bearing needing lube was most common issue just about all the 99-04's i had needed that at some point.  

15 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

Oh that and it could not go a year with our the fr end having to be rebuild over and over . The stereo quit working the guage cluster went out 2 times .don't even remember the rest but this was in 5 yrs time .  Mexico yep they build a quality truck . Fuck gm  and there Mexico junk 

You just explained why I look for a "1" for the first vin number in the trucks I buy.  I have all kinds of dealers ask me why I do that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, racer254 said:

You just explained why I look for a "1" for the first vin number in the trucks I buy.  I have all kinds of dealers ask me why I do that.

"If it begins with a 3 it is not for me" was the Union leaders chant until they came to an agreement that they would reopen Oshawa (maybe another as well) if he quit saying that. 

9 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

driveline clunk was a minor issue,  i prob owned 8 2004+ trucks SUV's and notices it on a few.  Intermediate steering shaft bearing needing lube was most common issue just about all the 99-04's i had needed that at some point.  

I hate that damn intermediate shaft problem.  I just changed one in my old truck with a dorman, including that plastic bearing and the fucker is starting to become loose again.  Only took about 5 thousand miles.

3 minutes ago, racer254 said:

I hate that damn intermediate shaft problem.  I just changed one in my old truck with a dorman, including that plastic bearing and the fucker is starting to become loose again.  Only took about 5 thousand miles.

Just had the drive shaft on my 2005 cleaned up with new U's, re-balanced, and the intermediate shaft bearing.  Smooth as silk!  I'll keep an eye on it with your experience....

5 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Just had the drive shaft on my 2005 cleaned up with new U's, re-balanced, and the intermediate shaft bearing.  Smooth as silk!  I'll keep an eye on it with your experience....

There is a heavy duty replacement intermediate shaft, but I have actually put zip ties on it under the dash to pull it tight and then you can't feel it through the steering.  Hack job, yes, but it works.

1 hour ago, racer254 said:

1 4 5 is US 
2 Canada 

I'm not sure we ever see any Mexico trucks don't know if they are actually worse or not. Anytime I have looked hey are NA 

2 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

I think some times people are just looking for stuff to complain about. 

"If I am going 80, let out of the gas completely, then jam it full throttle it clunks" 
...well mr customer, how about you don't do that any more?  

14 minutes ago, Cwhite138 said:

1 4 5 is US 
2 Canada 

I'm not sure we ever see any Mexico trucks don't know if they are actually worse or not. Anytime I have looked hey are NA 

"If I am going 80, let out of the gas completely, then jam it full throttle it clunks" 

I try to look for Union Made American manufactured vehicles.  Usually that is a 1 or a 2 for me. 

45 minutes ago, Cwhite138 said:

1 4 5 is US 
2 Canada 

i have more clunk from time to time in the 3-4-5 shift of my 10 speed Ford trans than i ever did in a GM product 

On 7/14/2021 at 6:47 PM, steve from amherst said:

I havnt seen it yet, only 24k miles thou.

mines had less clunk with miles on it.    but every once in awhile it's an amazingly harsh shift.  the Chevy seems to be butter smooth in comparison in my coworkers tahoe.