Check your account email address ×

What does a developer make....

1 hour ago, Polaris 550 said:

on a new house?

Say a $600,000.00 house. 

What do you think they make on that house?

It’s not uptown a pantshitting blowhard to,decide other people’s profit margin

3 hours ago, Polaris 550 said:

If I had my life to do over, I would have tried to build and sell houses. Or, to start, buy, re-hab and sell houses. 

The margins are better on remodels most years .unless you are in the top of the crop full custom builder. And a lot of those are cost plus.  And a 600k house now days is junk that you still have plastic windows and lvp floors and only thing diff from the one next door is the roof over the garage and f door and color 

• Platinum Contributing Member
14 hours ago, Polaris 550 said:

If I had my life to do over, I would have tried to build and sell houses. Or, to start, buy, re-hab and sell houses. 

Something tells me your people skills were never suited for sales or dealing with unhappy customers.....or minorities.   

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Something tells me your people skills were never suited for sales or dealing with unhappy customers.....or for that fact minorities.   

I would not do the selling. I would just re-hab or build new, and let a agent deal with the selling part. 

If you are not planning on selling it write off more profits.  You will be lucky to make 10% on the entire project. 

You will either have employees, subcontractors or both that will fuck something up royally and flush profits down the drain.  Add in unreasonable customers with impossible expectations and lower the profit margins even further.  Add in the fact that hardly anyone is going into the trades and it's impossible to find good help which you have to have unless you enjoy carrying costs that eat up every bit of profit in the project if it takes too long.

There is a reason a good builder/developer friend of mine switched over to just doing framing and finish work as a subcontractor for other builders/developers.  He was building 3-4 custom homes per year.

Edited by jdsky

11 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

The margins are better on remodels most years .unless you are in the top of the crop full custom builder. And a lot of those are cost plus.  And a 600k house now days is junk that you still have plastic windows and lvp floors and only thing diff from the one next door is the roof over the garage and f door and color 

What is going to happen in 30 years when all these 4000 sq ft suburban cookie cutter mcmansions are severely outdated, need major repairs, and there is a foreclosure on every block?  Values crash is what happens.  Saw it with townhomes my wife owned when we first started dating.

2 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

What is going to happen in 30 years when all these 4000 sq ft suburban cookie cutter mcmansions are severely outdated, need major repairs, and there is a foreclosure on every block?  Values crash is what happens.  Saw it with townhomes my wife owned when we first started dating.

30 fuck I don't give the new 500k starter homes 10 until they start needing major repairs.. most are junk partial board cabs no dovetail joints on pullouts plastic showers not even set in a mud base.     Plastic windows with mdf extention jambs and mdf trim and base hollow doors this is the norm now till you drop over 700k on new just sad 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
6 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

30 fuck I don't give the new 500k starter homes 10 until they start needing major repairs.. most are junk partial board cabs no dovetail joints on pullouts plastic showers not even set in a mud base.     Plastic windows with mdf extention jambs and mdf trim and base hollow doors this is the norm now till you drop over 700k on new just sad 

That is highly dependent on your area. You can get a well upgraded house around here for a lot less than 700k

• Gold Member
22 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

depends where in NH.  builder grade at 700k over here.   

True, I was referring to south western NH. Seacoast NH whole lot more money. Brother paid more for his preowned condo in newmarket than I paid for my new house out here.

Edited by 800renegaderider

40 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

True, I was referring to south western NH. Seacoast NH whole lot more money. Brother paid more for his preowned condo in newmarket than I paid for my new house out here.

i bought my first condo in 94 in Newmarket for 44k.  they are now selling upper 200's.