Check your account email address ×

*****Official F7BENS NASCAR 2023 Thread*****

2 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Need to keep the Jason Johnson family in your thoughts and prayers today.  2 years ago he was on top of the world having won the Knoxville Nationals and lost his lift last night in a sprint car accident.  Sad day here.  

Yeah that happened down the road from me. 2nd sprint driver to lose his life at this track in the last 4 years. They flip and land on top of the concrete wall with the halo. Midgets and Sprints really should be redesigned up there.

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Legend said:

Yeah that happened down the road from me. 2nd sprint driver to lose his life at this track in the last 4 years. They flip and land on top of the concrete wall with the halo. Midgets and Sprints really should be redesigned up there.

Yes they should be.  When my dad was racing in the 80's and 90's, it was pretty much a driver or two a week would lose their life racing a midget or a sprint.  Thankfully, it isn't like that anymore, but IMO it is still the most dangerous form of dirt track cars there are.  

3 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Yes they should be.  When my dad was racing in the 80's and 90's, it was pretty much a driver or two a week would lose their life racing a midget or a sprint.  Thankfully, it isn't like that anymore, but IMO it is still the most dangerous form of dirt track cars there are.  

Id say indy cars or f1 are much more dangerous. 

But ya on dirt for sure they are the most dangerous.

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

He was killed up here.

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

along with Kenny irwin

Didn't they both die the same year at NH?

3 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

I believe it was 2 yrs apart

I was at the restrictor plate race that they had there after it happened. Jeff Burton led every lap.

21 hours ago, DAVE said:

Id say indy cars or f1 are much more dangerous. 

But ya on dirt for sure they are the most dangerous.

Mmmm, Indy Cars I'd flip a coin on, F1 cars, I'd say no. 

Remember Open Wheel magazine?  They'd have their fallen racer section every month, and every month, it was pretty much a racer or two a week average.  

9 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

I believe it was 2 yrs apart

Between those two, Roper, and Dale, it really drove safety to the forefront.  

And to think, all 4 would probably still be here today with a HANS device.   

For those of you interested, here is Jason's obituary.

They just livestreamed the memorial service from his race shop.  It was hard to watch.

For those of you who feel so inclined, there is a education fund for his son, Jaxx, set up, as well as the World of Outlaws Benevolent fund.  

http://www.ardoinfuneralhomes.com/memorialpage.asp?page=odetail&id=93711&locid=2

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:02 PM, racinfarmer said:

Mmmm, Indy Cars I'd flip a coin on, F1 cars, I'd say no. 

Remember Open Wheel magazine?  They'd have their fallen racer section every month, and every month, it was pretty much a racer or two a week average.  

Between those two, Roper, and Dale, it really drove safety to the forefront.  

And to think, all 4 would probably still be here today with a HANS device.   

Bobby Allison's wreck into the fence , Richard Petty's wreck ,  Geoff Bodine's  truck wreck helped somewhat in driver / fan / car safety improvements. When francecar  was caught  with their pants down looking the other way for years on the E sr. RCR cars , seat placement  and mounting points , trying to pin the tail of failure on Bill Simpson ( francecar fail in court + huge settlement to Bill ),  they had zero choice but to act in their blind hindsight of safety.  Full face helmets , neck rings , steering wheel impact foam ,  early Hans devices , mandatory form fitting  drivers seats , plus seat  mounting points with floor pan to roll cage reinforcements, body flaps to try and keep the cars on the ground.  The track softer walls have helped greatly. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

So is Burton....although Rick Allen and Letarte are like 6'5"

Ya but burton at least has some meat on his bones....jr looks very thin.

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, DAVE said:

Ya but burton at least has some meat on his bones....jr looks very thin.

Just looked it up....Jr. is 6' and 165 pounds....you're right...skinny mini.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 hours ago, hwytohell said:

Most francecar drivers have  very slight body builds today.  M.W. and Mr. Excitement  were the only drivers of the recent past that were large in body frame.

Hell yeah!

IMG_4073.JPG.56dafe7505a15617499a44a40894b53c.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1