Check your account email address ×

BMW - The Ultimate Dying Experience

6 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

My last beemer went 80,000. N54 with almost 500 wheel hp. Total parts was one water pump, 6 coils, two sets of plugs, and a coolant change. Tires, fuel, and oil are standard fare. A little more than a Toyota....but it’s the price to pay for a 10 second car that handles fabulous with a bargain entry level price tag. 

I'm at 58k on my 340i M-sport. Been tuned for about a year now at around 390 at the wheels.  Only oil changes and plugs at 50k. Love this car

My 328i had 190k when I sold it.  Valve cover gasket ($20) 3 coil packs ($15 each) and the water pump at 126k miles ($400). No complaints about maintenance costs on that car.  They are not hard to work on and parts are not much more than any other car if you buy online.  

I think they get a bad rap because most people that own them don't work on them and if you take them to BMW you'll pay out the ass. They get like $180 for an oil change in my car and I can do it at home in 10 minutes for under $50. Water pump on my 328 averages $1600 at a shop.  It took me under 2 hours and that was not knowing what I was doing.  

3 hours ago, Doorider said:

I'm at 58k on my 340i M-sport. Been tuned for about a year now at around 390 at the wheels.  Only oil changes and plugs at 50k. Love this car

My 328i had 190k when I sold it.  Valve cover gasket ($20) 3 coil packs ($15 each) and the water pump at 126k miles ($400). No complaints about maintenance costs on that car.  They are not hard to work on and parts are not much more than any other car if you buy online.  

I think they get a bad rap because most people that own them don't work on them and if you take them to BMW you'll pay out the ass. They get like $180 for an oil change in my car and I can do it at home in 10 minutes for under $50. Water pump on my 328 averages $1600 at a shop.  It took me under 2 hours and that was not knowing what I was doing.  

I'd say by and large, the demographics that buy a new or under 20 year old BMW have 0 plans and 0 idea of how to work on it.

The enthusiasts can be few and far between.

5 hours ago, Doorider said:

The most difficult aspect of working on some BMW’s is the plastic parts. Once they arrive at the 100,000 mile mark a lot of the plastic connectors under the hood become brittle from heat. Other that that, they’re easy. I forgot about the valve cover gasket which got replaced. 

On 4/20/2021 at 7:08 PM, Anler said:

I like bmws but all I hear about is how dismal their reliability is. And then how expensive they are to fix. Hence their rapid depreciation. I would probably buy one if it wasn't for that. 

Buy one with a couple years left on the warranty, and then flip right before it expires.  i had good times with mine, but owning it out of warranty scared me.  I'd own a Benz out of warranty all day long.  Not sure how the long term reliability is on an S, but they're pretty glorious.

27 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

The most difficult aspect of working on some BMW’s is the plastic parts. Once they arrive at the 100,000 mile mark a lot of the plastic connectors under the hood become brittle from heat. Other that that, they’re easy. I forgot about the valve cover gasket which got replaced. 

Most new cars use a lot of plastic and quick connect plastic fittings.  Really the only things that have gone to shit on both my f150s were plastic quick connect fittings busting . And some not even the fitting but the o ring in them you know tge odd ball sized shit they don't sell so you have to buy the whole line set . 

I just hate working on BMW or Benz auxi vw etc etc with shit packed so tight under the hood . 

Who am I kidding I hate working on any cars any more.  Only do it if I am feeling cheep or offended by the blatant attempted rape at the dealer 

Just now, Big Crappie said:

I'd be headed to the end of that rainbow if I were you.

The 3 and 5 series are supposed to be way better than the 7s, just too much techie bullshit and things to go wrong.

52 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

The 3 and 5 series are supposed to be way better than the 7s, just too much techie bullshit and things to go wrong.

Why I love the 07. Not even Nav to fuck up.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

working on a daily no fuckin thanks.   toy i can see it's like a sled or wheeler.  fun to work on and spruce up in the off season but them i just want to ride/drive them.  

I'll do maintenance stuff, tracks, shocks, etc...on my sleds but anything major I take it to the dealer. That's why I buy new. I don't have time or tools to be a part time grease monkey. 

10 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

Buy one with a couple years left on the warranty, and then flip right before it expires.  i had good times with mine, but owning it out of warranty scared me.  I'd own a Benz out of warranty all day long.  Not sure how the long term reliability is on an S, but they're pretty glorious.

Oh I like them plenty, they are great drivers cars.