Check your account email address ×

Texas running out of gas.

BOHICA

2 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Can’t fill up cars and trucks.

I thought this was only an electric vehicle problem????

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/traffic/some-gas-stations-running-out-of-fuel-as-winter-weather-lingers/2555722/

I thought people would be hunkered down and not going anywhere? Like I said earlier, the smart ones would have stocked up on gas knowing this cold snap/snow was coming. :news:

• Gold Member
4 minutes ago, irv said:

I thought people would be hunkered down and not going anywhere? Like I said earlier, the smart ones would have stocked up on gas knowing this cold snap/snow was coming. :news:

Only 500,000 people in Texas are out of power....  EV’s don’t have to worry about running out of go juice currently.  
gas shortage is only expected to get worse.

1 minute ago, Mainecat said:

The republicans are nothing but fuckups. 

Because the roads are screwed after a once in 5 year snow storm in Texas and they can't get gasoline delivered?  LOL.  The south doesn't handle cold and snow well.  This isn't a huge surprise to anyone.

The thing they do need to figure out is LNG storage for power gen and hardening their natural gas distribution systems to handle the cold weather.  Their major gas plants can't go offline in cold weather.  

In warmer climates they don't get the cold weather package option on their wind turbines.  With those it probably makes the most sense to shut them down until they deice themselves and the temperatures warm up.

1 minute ago, BOHICA said:

Only 500,000 people in Texas are out of power....  EV’s don’t have to worry about running out of go juice currently.  

No, it isn't.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/traffic/some-gas-stations-running-out-of-fuel-as-winter-weather-lingers/2555722/

"Obviously the cold weather and bad roads have really interfered with our ability to resupply those stores on a timely basis," said Brad Douglass, the CEO of Douglass Distributing, a fuel distribution company in Sherman.

He said there's not a shortage, but rather a delay in distribution and supply should dramatically improve in the next 48 hours.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Maybe, but I sure wouldn't want to be charging my EV at these prices. 

https://teslanorth.com/2021/02/17/it-costs-900-to-charge-a-tesla-during-texas-snowstorm-electricity-shortage/#:~:text=Founder of Center for Industrial,to power 5 million homes.”

It Costs $900 to Charge a Tesla During Texas’ Snowstorm Electricity Shortage

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, irv said:

Maybe, but I sure wouldn't want to be charging my EV at these prices. 

https://teslanorth.com/2021/02/17/it-costs-900-to-charge-a-tesla-during-texas-snowstorm-electricity-shortage/#:~:text=Founder of Center for Industrial,to power 5 million homes.”

It Costs $900 to Charge a Tesla During Texas’ Snowstorm Electricity Shortage

Depends if you are on fixed, index or variarable.  When the prices skyrocketed the outage was in force.  Anybody with any smarts would have filled there EV like there gas counterparts should of.  Most people don’t wait till there EV is empty to fill it like they do gas so it’s not really that much to fill for most people as they only replenish what they drive for the day...  in a Tesla they are getting around 1/3 kwh a mile and some are approaching 1/4 Kw a mile.  So if they drove a 100 miles during the storm and had power to plug into during the storm they would only need 20-30 kwhs to top the battery back up.  Even at a $1 a kwh that is only $20-$30.   If you had a fixed plan it is just pennies...  business are the ones typically running variable and will bear the brunt if they had power during the outage.

• Gold Member
32 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

The republicans are nothing but fuckups. 

"Obviously the cold weather and bad roads have really interfered with our ability to resupply those stores on a timely basis," said Brad Douglass, the CEO of Douglass Distributing, a fuel distribution company in Sherman.

Republicans drive fuel trucks. :lol:

• Platinum Contributing Member

Can't say I have a lot of sympathy for people dealing with something we deal with on a yearly basis.   Yeah I get it....once in a century storm or cold front but damn don't mess with Texas right?  :lol:  

• Like 1

Just now, Highmark said:

Can't say I have a lot of sympathy for people dealing with something we deal with on a yearly basis.   Yeah I get it....once in a century storm or cold front but damn don't mess with Texas right?  :lol:  

More like once every half a decade.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Depends if you are on fixed, index or variarable.  When the prices skyrocketed the outage was in force.  Anybody with any smarts would have filled there EV like there gas counterparts should of.  Most people don’t wait till there EV is empty to fill it like they do gas so it’s not really that much to fill for most people as they only replenish what they drive for the day...  in a Tesla they are getting around 1/3 kwh a mile and some are approaching 1/4 Kw a mile.  So if they drove a 100 miles during the storm and had power to plug into during the storm they would only need 20-30 kwhs to top the battery back up.  Even at a $1 a kwh that is only $20-$30.   If you had a fixed plan it is just pennies...  business are the ones typically running variable and will bear the brunt if they had power during the outage.

And how long does it take to charge up your vehicle, assuming there is no line up to do so? 

20 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Texas. :lol: 

5 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

It’s still in my plans. I purchased some land in Texas and Arizona. 

Mental health professional. :lol: 

• Gold Member
7 minutes ago, irv said:

And how long does it take to charge up your vehicle, assuming there is no line up to do so? 

My phev charges while I’m home.  Once I have full EV it will charge while I’m home.  So time is irrelevant.

1 minute ago, BOHICA said:

My phev charges while I’m home.  Once I have full EV it will charge while I’m home.  So time is irrelevant.

Assuming you have electricity and the means to do so? I would assume not everyone has those options, especially those living in apartments and the like? 

1 minute ago, irv said:

Assuming you have electricity and the means to do so? I would assume not everyone has those options, especially those living in apartments and the like? 

What, there's something wrong with hundreds of feet of extension cords running across every sidewalk downtown? 

Green baby.

13 minutes ago, irv said:

Charge rates are non-linear for lith-ion batteries. It takes 15 minutes to get 180-200 miles of range at a charge station. 5 minutes will net 75 miles. This is fir a Tesla. 

2 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Charge rates are non-linear for lith-ion batteries. It takes 15 minutes to get 180-200 miles of range at a charge station. 5 minutes will net 75 miles. This is fir a Tesla. 

I'm glad Tesla's are so affordable that everyone can afford to purchase one.

It takes him 12 full hours to add 50 miles of range.

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/24/938156943/nice-car-but-how-do-you-charge-that-thing-let-us-count-the-ways

https://pod-point.com/guides/driver/how-long-to-charge-an-electric-car#:~:text=The time it takes to,with a 7kW charging point.

https://www.caranddriver.com/shopping-advice/a32600212/ev-charging-time/

Just now, irv said:

You really are one of the dumbest fucks here. :lol: