Check your account email address ×

GameStop: how Reddit amateurs took aim at Wall Street’s short-sellers

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

The market is a massive bubble and it was made that way under Trump ...that’s a fact 

started under Obie,  continued under trump and now biden.  it's just a game,  one you are better of playing for long term wealth than just about anything else for the average person.   

4 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

started under Obie,  continued under trump and now biden.  it's just a game,  one you are better of playing for long term wealth than just about anything else for the average person.   

Long term investing in a Ponzi scheme is still investing in a Ponzi scheme

3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

100 years of history shows it's the best way to accumulate wealth.   

It’s not investing anymore. It’s nothing more than gambling on stimulus 

I think it’s funny that Redditors are fucking with hedge funds. 

I think people would be naive to think that their actions inadvertently made over wealthy stock manipulators rich. I’m sure some people were watching this, bought into the trend and made huge profits. 

Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t this create and even bigger opportunity for short sellers? Once the  Reddit crowd find another shiny object  and GameStop goes into free fall?

• Gold Member

Reddit and Facebook took down these channels that was used on this hedge fund/GameStop thing....  “violated terms of service” is the reason.  These average Joe’s just lost their communication channel.

Edited by BOHICA

2 hours ago, CFM said:

Okay. Thanks. Her stance was reported incorrectly at the time I typed that. I edited my post. :thumbsup

Gotcha.  Pardon my defensiveness.  I’m known for being a bit of a Warren zealot who enjoys a refreshing cup of billionaire tears on occasion.   :ashamed:

3DB3E239-6FFF-4EB1-AC5A-28FC0011FC93.jpeg

18 hours ago, CFM said:

Elizabeth warren stated she’s on the hedge fund managers’ side on this issue. Lolol

I absolutely can’t stand Warren. But mistruths are mistruths.

12 minutes ago, XC.Morrison said:

Gotcha.  Pardon my defensiveness.  I’m known for being a bit of a Warren zealot who enjoys a refreshing cup of billionaire tears on occasion.   :ashamed:

3DB3E239-6FFF-4EB1-AC5A-28FC0011FC93.jpeg

Warren is well intentioned but her CFPB baby had shitty execution.  

2 hours ago, revkevsdi said:

I think people would be naive to think that their actions inadvertently made over wealthy stock manipulators rich. I’m sure some people were watching this, bought into the trend and made huge profits. 

Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t this create and even bigger opportunity for short sellers? Once the  Reddit crowd find another shiny object  and GameStop goes into free fall?

Yes, but short options are going for 60-80% of current stock values. 

Basically, people with short positions who got the stocks at $20 are getting kicked in the teeth any way you look at it.  Eventually they need to deliver those stocks back to who they "borrowed" them from.  That will only further drive the price, fueling the short squeeze.

25 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

Warren is well intentioned but her CFPB baby had shitty execution.  

It’s got it’s critics, I suppose.  Most of the criticism seems to center around the agency being too aggressive and enjoying too much independence from oversight.  I know you’re in the banking and lending business so I don’t know to what extent you may have experienced it’s impacts.  I know she really wanted to serve as director but pretty much got blocked by the top Democratic brass.  

3 hours ago, revkevsdi said:

It is (was) about 140% shorted. Meaning there isn't enough stocks in float to cover the shorts. 

9 hours ago, XC.Morrison said:

It’s got it’s critics, I suppose.  Most of the criticism seems to center around the agency being too aggressive and enjoying too much independence from oversight.  I know you’re in the banking and lending business so I don’t know to what extent you may have experienced it’s impacts.  I know she really wanted to serve as director but pretty much got blocked by the top Democratic brass.  

as i said the intentions were good,  execution was terrible with rules that made no sense and many that didn't truly help consumers.   Some input by the industry could have made it palatable for all but academics don't really understand nuances.    The lack of oversight and selective enforcement while refusing to issue clear guidelines was terrible.  You could literally ask them if this was OK or not and they would refuse to tell you and just decide when they felt like fucking with you.  That is not the way to run a regulatory agency.  

Edited by Angry ginger