Check your account email address ×

1/2 the dose

U.S. may cut some Moderna vaccine doses in half to speed rollout, official says

Reuters
BRENDAN PIERSON
January 4, 2021, 8:05 AM

By Brendan Pierson

(Reuters) - The U.S. government is considering giving some people half the dose of Moderna's COVID-19 vaccine in order to speed vaccinations, a federal official said on Sunday.

Moncef Slaoui, head of Operation Warp Speed, the federal vaccine program, said on CBS' "Face the Nation" that officials were in talks with Moderna and the Food and Drug Administration about the idea. Moderna's vaccine requires two injections.

"We know that for the Moderna vaccine, giving half of the dose to people between the ages of 18 and 55, two doses, half the dose, which means exactly achieving the objective of immunizing double the number of people with the doses we have," Slaoui said.

"We know it induces identical immune response" to the full dose, he added.

Moderna and the FDA could not immediately be reached for comment.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said it had administered 4,225,756 first doses of COVID-19 vaccines in the country as of Saturday morning and distributed 13,071,925 doses.

The U.S. has also approved a vaccine from Pfizer, which like Moderna's requires two shots. Vaccinations have fallen far short of early targets, as officials had hoped to have 20 million people vaccinated by the end of the 2020.

Slaoui said he was optimistic vaccinations would continue to accelerate. He rejected the suggestion that officials should prioritize giving more people a single shot, rather than holding back doses for the second shot, saying that cutting Moderna vaccine doses in half was "a more responsible approach that would be based on facts and data."

Slaoui said it would likely not be known until late spring whether vaccinated people can still spread the disease to others.

(Reporting By Brendan Pierson in New York; Editing by Chris Reese)

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

they should be doing antibody tests on everyone when they go to the doc to get an idea of how widespread it is.  

Yep - another Donny failure :lmao: 

10 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

they should be doing antibody tests on everyone when they go to the doc to get an idea of how widespread it is.  

That wouldn’t jive at all with the terrifying narrative if we knew the real infection rates 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, f7ben said:

That wouldn’t jive at all with the terrifying narrative if we knew the real infection rates 

Correct however, if the true percentage if people with antibodies was out there, they would still find a way to spin it to a negative. 

Honestly, I wonder if you test positive for the antibodies, do they add you in to the positive COVID case numbers? 

Also funny how this article only talks about one of the vaccines and says that one dose is just as powerful as two doses in 18-55 year old people. Why the fuck are we wasting our time giving them two then? The article I read about this called out both vaccines and talked about how one dose is only 80% effective, instead of 95% and now they think that is good enough to get the country to herd immunity. How is it not blatantly apparent to anyone why the general public has lost nearly all trust in pretty much everyone over this shit? 

• Like 1

Actualy a british study of the glaxo, oxford universty  vacine showed it to be 58 % effective when a full dose was followed by a full dose and 90% effective when a 1/2 dose was follwed by a full dose.

So now they want to use American democrats as test pigs to see if the Moderma is the same.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, f7ben said:

It’s because they know a massive % of the population has antibodies to this bullshit virus

Even medical workers don't want the vaccine.   It isn't the delivery system but the fact people just don't want it. 

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Even medical workers don't want the vaccine.   It isn't the delivery system but the fact people just don't want it. 

Which is directly related to the fact that the virus is being massively overhyped and it’s not deadly or damaging to 99% of people who get it

14 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Which is directly related to the fact that the virus is being massively overhyped and it’s not deadly or damaging to 99% of people who get it

Agree 100% except it much higher than even 99% when taking into account people who've had it yet never got tested.   The virus was overplayed for control of the population, create more dependency on govt and impact the election.

Kids had friends over this weekend to party and 3 of the 4 said they have the antibodies yet never got sick or tested.  

Don't kid yourself once Biden gets in office how the virus is handled in the MSM and what the govt is telling us will change dramatically.   

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Agree 100% except it much higher than even 99% when taking into account people who've had it yet never got tested.   The virus was overplayed for control of the population, create more dependency on govt and impact the election.

Kids had friends over this weekend to party and 3 of the 4 said they have the antibodies yet never got sick or tested.  

Don't kid yourself once Biden gets in office how the virus is handled in the MSM and what the govt is telling us will change dramatically.   

Correct....we got scammed again. Myself included 

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Correct....we got scammed again. Myself included 

Much of it was to allow the changes in the election.  Nobody will ever convince me that Biden could get 15 million more votes than Obama in 2008 especially considering Biden underperformed massively in the number of counties won, lost ground in every minority group and lost 16 of 17 bellwether counties.  

Edited by Highmark

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Much of it was to allow the changes in the election.  Nobody will ever convince me that Biden could get 15 million more votes than Obama in 2008.  

Just look at the way states handled this. It’s a literal partisan line. None of the shutdowns and lockdowns and mandates did a fucking thing except sew instability and angst. 

Just now, f7ben said:

Just look at the way states handled this. It’s a literal partisan line. None of the shutdowns and lockdowns and mandates did a fucking thing except sew instability and angst. 

Simply amazing the difference what politics does in America.

My small community has done fine.   Not one large employer shut down, one laid off about 5% of workers and everyone else kept their doors open 100%. 

COVID has been a boom for some industries like recreation.   Nobody can keep ATV, UTV, campers or boats in stock.   Golf was up 50% in some areas.   Only good thing to come out of it.    

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I know I told this story here earlier but a bunch of my daughters friends got tested months ago.  About half tested positive with no symptoms.  It scared them....until, one of them who signed up to be tested bailed on the actual test.  She got a letter in the mail anyway...yep, POSITIVE.  WTF?  Unbelievable scam

Just now, Highmark said:

Much of it was to allow the changes in the election.  Nobody will ever convince me that Biden could get 15 million more votes than Obama in 2008 especially considering Biden underperformed massively in the number of counties won, lost ground in every minority group and lost 16 of 17 bellwether counties.  

I was talking to some folks involved in local politics here yesterday for a bit.  They are convinced of the fuckery and have some interesting stories.  Counties went blue that have NEVER been blue....and they can't explain it.  This is gonna get messy here.

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

I know I told this story here earlier but a bunch of my daughters friends got tested months ago.  About half tested positive with no symptoms.  It scared them....until, one of them who signed up to be tested bailed on the actual test.  She got a letter in the mail anyway...yep, POSITIVE.  WTF?  Unbelievable scam

I was talking to some folks involved in local politics here yesterday for a bit.  They are convinced of the fuckery and have some interesting stories.  Counties went blue that have NEVER been blue....and they can't explain it.  This is gonna get messy here.

On the signing up, leaving without getting tested, with a positive result, I heard this no less than a dozen times with my moms older friends.  Most of them never went back even if they got sick, as long as they could handle it.

And anyone who thinks this virus was not used politically to go after the current administration is completely blind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I don't think that happened very often or hardly at all and that's one of the anomalies that make the results so unusual. 

My county is pretty heavy dem and hasn't went this red for some time.   Trump won easily here.   Obama won this county by over 8 points in 08 and 12.  

Biden won 217 less counties than Hillary did in 16 and 495 less than Obama.  

Edited by Highmark

50 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Simply amazing the difference what politics does in America.

My small community has done fine.   Not one large employer shut down, one laid off about 5% of workers and everyone else kept their doors open 100%. 

COVID has been a boom for some industries like recreation.   Nobody can keep ATV, UTV, campers or boats in stock.   Golf was up 50% in some areas.   Only good thing to come out of it.    

Kayak sales were up some sort of crazy number like 300% here in Michigan this summer. If you didn’t buy one before the end of May, you weren’t finding one for the rest of summer. Mountain bike sales were very similar. 

I can’t wait to see all of this shit end up on Facebook marketplace in a year or so for 1/2 off. Especially if the post “pandemic” economy crashes. 

Edited by SayatodaU.P.eh?

59 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Kayak sales were up some sort of crazy number like 300% here in Michigan this summer. If you didn’t buy one before the end of May, you weren’t finding one for the rest of summer. Mountain bike sales were very similar. 

I can’t wait to see all of this shit end up on Facebook marketplace in a year or so for 1/2 off. Especially if the post “pandemic” economy crashes. 

Shit look at firearm and ammo sales.  :lol:  

• Like 1

Shit look at firearm and ammo sales.  :lol:  

Yeah - it’s line the NRA - they scare the stupid into supporting them and spending money on ‘guns and ammo’ cause Joe’s gonna take your guns just like Obama did :lol:  Right wing reaction to fear mongering in real time :lmao: 

1 minute ago, SnowRider said:

Yeah - it’s line the NRA - they scare the stupid into supporting them and spending money on ‘guns and ammo’ cause Joe’s gonna take your guns just like Obama did :lol:  Right wing reaction to fear mongering in real time :lmao: 

Fuck dude your obsession with me is creepy.   

Fuck dude your obsession with me is creepy.   

I rarely reply to you.  See you’re butthurt looking for attention in between new tinfoil hats :lol: