Check your account email address ×

Truck debates ...

Bontz

I'm sure this will turn into a shit show, just like everything does when it comes to brand discussions ... but here goes.  I'm in the market for a new truck, and originally had planned on picking up a new 2021 F150 with the 5.0 in it (I currently own a 2015 with the 3.5 eco).  If Ford had new trucks available, and my local dealer was able to get the truck I want, this thread wouldn't even exist.  However, Ford's slow to deliver so it's got me looking elsewhere.  Before anyone says it .... I want nothing to do with a RAM, so don't even bother.  The other truck I'm looking at is the GMC with the 6.2 in it.  I know every brand has their flaws, and the haters will tear down the other brands but I'm just curious on guys who've owned the 6.2 GMC.  Horror stories?  Good feedback?  Looking for personal experience vs. articles on the web.

5.0L Ford seems pretty damn solid and quick. The 6.2 is a nice motor for sure but the cost of the truck with it is waaaay more the the Ford and still hearing tranny and electrical problems with the GM. Re-sale on the Ford 5.0L is good too. 

Bar owner down the road has had 2 new F150's in the last several years, they are always in the Dealer having something fixed, mostly electrical, his newest one is a 2019 and is always gone to the dealer.

Can't speak for the GMC but I have a 2016 Silverado 1/2 ton, 70,000 on it and only been to the dealer once for a recall 2 years ago, zero problems with the truck so far anyhow. 5.3.

hopefully they improved the ride in the 21 Fords because I have to say my 19 F150's is poor on choppy roads

I am thinking I will trade this in on a 19/20 Ram at some point.  Ram has a nice interior, resale has stabilized and reliability seems on par with the other 2.  I was a GM guy,  still find their interior ergonomically to lay out the best but I decided to try something else.  the new GM's with the 10 speed are real nice.   Even with the 5.3 its 1000x better than my 09 or 14.  

The drawback with the Ford (to me) is the price and the aluminum body.  What I priced out was pushing $60K (Lariat), and the fact I pull a travel trailer (camper) in the summer, the lighter truck can be a handful when it's windy out.  That's what has me looking more at the GMC (heavier) and with the 6.2 it'll have all the power I need ... especially considering my EcoBoost had enough power - just not weight.  The 6.2 I'm pricing out right now is actually on par, price wise, with the new Ford.

Just now, Bontz said:

The drawback with the Ford (to me) is the price and the aluminum body.  What I priced out was pushing $60K (Lariat), and the fact I pull a travel trailer (camper) in the summer, the lighter truck can be a handful when it's windy out.  That's what has me looking more at the GMC (heavier) and with the 6.2 it'll have all the power I need ... especially considering my EcoBoost had enough power - just not weight.  The 6.2 I'm pricing out right now is actually on par, price wise, with the new Ford.

i don't find the GM's to be any pricier than the rest and generally they have the best resale still

6 minutes ago, Bontz said:

I like the aluminum body idea but if you bend it up some they replace the whole area not just fix it..a neighbor backed into a concrete base lite pole at L&M Fleet Supply in Hayward, it damaged the box and bumper, he told me it was $17,000 to repair it, not sure I believed him but I suppose it's possible..he also had so may issues with it he bought a Suburban now, he still has a F-250 plow truck though.

@Bontzhow come you are deciding to go with the 5.0 if the 3.5 had plenty of power? Did you have other issues? I have a 10k toy hauler and love the way my 13 3.5 pulls. It is like a mini diesel, but I am tuned. The only engine upgrade for me in the future will be a diesel.

6 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

@Bontzhow come you are deciding to go with the 5.0 if the 3.5 had plenty of power? Did you have other issues? I have a 10k toy hauler and love the way my 13 3.5 pulls. It is like a mini diesel, but I am tuned. The only engine upgrade for me in the future will be a diesel.

Buddy of mine lost both turbos within a month of each other at 135Km, on his EB and extended warranty expired at 120k. That's unacceptable

• Gold Member

I love my fords but I wouldn’t buy a new one or a Chevy. I’d buy a tundra. Aluminum body is nice idea but the cost to repair is insane. The cost is so high because you need a special 25k welder, 10k rivet gun, all separate aluminum only tools, and even a completely separate room to even repair aluminum correctly. Aluminum rips and cracks stupid easy and depending where the rip is you can’t even fix you’d have to replace a entire panel. So for that reason alone I wouldn’t buy one. I don’t care for Chevy I’d rather a dodge even though they have the most issues I’d say out of the big 3. 

Just now, Tinker said:

Buddy of mine lost both turbos within a month of each other at 135Km, on his EB and extended warranty expired at 120k. That's unacceptable

I mean anything is possible, but I don't think turbo failure is a common issue with EB or any turbo application. I can see how that would turn someone off of the vehicle though, but it is no different than all the diesels out there.

1 minute ago, 800renegaderider said:

I love my fords but I wouldn’t buy a new one or a Chevy. I’d buy a tundra. Aluminum body is nice idea but the cost to repair is insane. The cost is so high because you need a special 25k welder, 10k rivet gun, all separate aluminum only tools, and even a completely separate room to even repair aluminum correctly. Aluminum rips and cracks stupid easy and depending where the rip is you can’t even fix you’d have to replace a entire panel. So for that reason alone I wouldn’t buy one. I don’t care for Chevy I’d rather a dodge even though they have the most issues I’d say out of the big 3. 

I honestly expected more vehicles to be aluminum by now. Especially cars. Was hoping it would bring the cost of repair down due it being a lot more common. Is the aluminum f150 higher to insure than other trucks?

It's not that I'm disappointed in the Eco .... it's been an impressive engine for the 97K miles I've run it.  Where it shines is the torque, and getting my camper moving & up to speed on the highway.  There's nothing "eco" about it though as it doesn't get spectacular mileage (especially when towing!) - not that the 5.0 is going to be much better from a MPG perspective.  I've got a buddy with a 2019 that has the 5.0 in it, and it's nice - surprisingly nice.  For the 8 or so times a summer that I tow, I can survive without the turbo, and the peace of mind there won't be turbo issues as the mileage gets up there.  Knock on wood, I haven't had any turbo issues with my '15 but it just doesn't have the same feel to it and I feel like I'm living on borrowed time before issues start to arise.  Probably more of a tinfoil hat feel, than anything ... but that's my feeling.  And I'm just not a huge fan of the aluminum body, other than it doesn't rust.

• Gold Member
11 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

I like the aluminum body idea but if you bend it up some they replace the whole area not just fix it..a neighbor backed into a concrete base lite pole at L&M Fleet Supply in Hayward, it damaged the box and bumper, he told me it was $17,000 to repair it, not sure I believed him but I suppose it's possible..he also had so may issues with it he bought a Suburban now, he still has a F-250 plow truck though.

Seems high but it’s possibly if maybe they swapped the frame maybe. Also don’t know what rates are in your area. Replace entire bed and bumper assembly no way maybe 8-10k around here 17k sure if doing a frame on top of bed/bumper

28 minutes ago, Bontz said:

I'm spending $41,000 for a 21 Toyota Tundra 4x4 king cab with a 385/400 5.7 with 10k tow limit.

The pricing out is due to everything you 'want but don't need', correct?

3 minutes ago, Bontz said:

It's not that I'm disappointed in the Eco .... it's been an impressive engine for the 97K miles I've run it.  Where it shines is the torque, and getting my camper moving & up to speed on the highway.  There's nothing "eco" about it though as it doesn't get spectacular mileage (especially when towing!) - not that the 5.0 is going to be much better from a MPG perspective.  I've got a buddy with a 2019 that has the 5.0 in it, and it's nice - surprisingly nice.  For the 8 or so times a summer that I tow, I can survive without the turbo, and the peace of mind there won't be turbo issues as the mileage gets up there.  Knock on wood, I haven't had any turbo issues with my '15 but it just doesn't have the same feel to it and I feel like I'm living on borrowed time before issues start to arise.  Probably more of a tinfoil hat feel, than anything ... but that's my feeling.  And I'm just not a huge fan of the aluminum body, other than it doesn't rust.

The 5.0 is an impressive engine too. They are no slouch. I was just curious why you wanted to change. And yes, that thing can suck some impressive amount of fuel when towing. That part does suck. There are turbos in pretty much every diesel truck out there and you don't hear people concerned about them. Semis have turbos with million miles on them. I wouldn't be worried about the turbos failing any more than any other engine part on your truck.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Seems high but it’s possibly if maybe they swapped the frame maybe. Also don’t know what rates are in your area. Replace entire bed and bumper assembly no way maybe 8-10k around here 17k sure if doing a frame on top of bed/bumper

Yeah don't know what they did or who, I'll ask him when I see him again, he's in Colorado right now looking to move back there.

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

I honestly expected more vehicles to be aluminum by now. Especially cars. Was hoping it would bring the cost of repair down due it being a lot more common. Is the aluminum f150 higher to insure than other trucks?

I don’t know if it’s higher to insure but it definitely cost a lot more to repair. I know there is only a handful of shops in NH that are actually certified to repair aluminum. My work has the equipment to do it and I’m Icar certified in aluminum repair and welding but we usually send any bigger aluminum hits down the road to the ford dealer body shop to get done.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Snake said:

I'm spending $41,000 for a 21 Toyota Tundra 4x4 king cab with a 385/400 5.7 with 10k tow limit.

The pricing out is due to everything you 'want but don't need', correct?

You're correct ... absolutely about the "wants vs. needs"   Common sense would tell me to go with a XLT vs. a Lariat, but I'm just stupid that way.

EDIT:  And yeah, I know the Toyota has a good track record, but yet again I'm stupid that way .... I wouldn't buy one.  I'd buy a RAM before I'd buy a Toyota, but I'm just not a fan of either of them.  And yes, they're all pieces of shit, I know that too!! LOL

Edited by Bontz
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bontz said:

You're correct ... absolutely about the "wants vs. needs"   Common sense would tell me to go with a XLT vs. a Lariat, but I'm just stupid that way.

I used to be that way. Found it to be impractical. Getting close to retirement does that.....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bontz said:

EDIT:  And yeah, I know the Toyota has a good track record, but yet again I'm stupid that way .... I wouldn't buy one.  I'd buy a RAM before I'd buy a Toyota, but I'm just not a fan of either of them.  And yes, they're all pieces of shit, I know that too!! LOL

On the edit: I wouldn't buy a Ford, having one in the driveway. You are correct about the 5,0... I have had zero issues with the drivetrain on this vehicle. But every morning I go out and see a little more of my truck on the driveway. Fuck that.

Zero desire for GM. The last truck I owned left such a sour taste in my mouth to eternally condemn them to hell.

The Dodge is just too meh for me. Personal preference of course.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snake said:

I used to be that way. Found it to be impractical. Getting close to retirement does that.....

I'm not gonna deny that I can be a dumbass ... I'll own up to that label from time to time! :lol2:

Why I'm even looking at a new truck right now is borderline asinine with a high school senior and having college tuition to help pay for (and another one if 4 more years after that).