Check your account email address ×

Michigan governor seeks shutdown of Great Lakes oil pipeline

21 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

The notice requires Enbridge to cease operations of the dual pipelines in the Straits by May 2021, to allow for an "orderly transition that protects Michigan's energy needs over the coming months," according to Whitmer's office. 

They'll just section the pipeline up into unit trains of 110 cars at a time, then people will bitch about the train traffic instead.

14 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Fuck up both lakes at the same time. Cool. 

Do you have any idea how many pipelines there are in NA, and how many of those go under and through waterways and have for decade upon decade? :dunno:

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, racinfarmer said:

They'll just section the pipeline up into unit trains of 110 cars at a time, then people will bitch about the train traffic instead.

It’s almost 2021...there has to be a better way than some shitty pipeline under The Straits...jus sayin. 

3 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

You get air, land, or sea. 

So plane, truck, train, ship, or pipeline.

I know...I’d rather not have it under The Straits...all I’m saying.

I don't know a thing about pipelines, and am not going to pretend to.  But I have this ugly thought of how a new pipeline might be worse off than an old established one, for the simple fact it's probably gonna be built using steel from china, which was produced out of the rusted up scrap metal we've been shipping over there for the past umteen years.:guzzle:

• Like 1

Weren't they talking about replacing it with a new line drilled quite a ways under the straits. I thought it was supposed to be in a self contained tunnel of some sort, but is on hold because someone in the gov't won't sign off on the project. I don't remember all the details, but its definitely been in the news for quite awhile.

12 minutes ago, Skidude600 said:

Weren't they talking about replacing it with a new line drilled quite a ways under the straits. I thought it was supposed to be in a self contained tunnel of some sort, but is on hold because someone in the gov't won't sign off on the project. I don't remember all the details, but its definitely been in the news for quite awhile.

Environmental groups and activist single-issue politicians fight these projects tooth and nail.  Line 3 going through MN is a good example of this.  I'm not sure how many more reviews or how much slower one could ask to go, but the opponents always find something.

10 years of reviews and studies later: "This project is moving too fast for it to be properly reviewed and vetted!"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Environmental groups and activist single-issue politicians fight these projects tooth and nail.  Line 3 going through MN is a good example of this.  I'm not sure how many more reviews or how much slower one could ask to go, but the opponents always find something.

10 years of reviews and studies later: "This project is moving too fast for it to be properly reviewed and vetted!"

Yeah because we've never had a train derailment, plane crash or a ship sink..... At some point we'll move away from fossil fuels, but don't think for a minute there won't be issues with the alternatives that someone didn't think of. There always are.

13 minutes ago, Skidude600 said:

Yeah because we've never had a train derailment, plane crash or a ship sink..... At some point we'll move away from fossil fuels, but don't think for a minute there won't be issues with the alternatives that someone didn't think of. There always are.

You mean like there are polymers and lubricants and feedstocks that might still be needed even with alternative energies?

Someone posted a great link here a few months ago showing the huge environmental impact of gathering up ingredients for battery production. I can’t remember the details but it was an eye opener. The greenies ignore that aspect. 

50 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

You mean like there are polymers and lubricants and feedstocks that might still be needed even with alternative energies?

Don't get me wrong. Finding ways to extend our stay on this planet isn't a bad thing, but that's all it is. An extension. At some point we will outgrow this planet. Barring our extinction, we will always have a negative impact and billing a new energy source as progress is misleading. Its nothing more than a trade-off.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Skidude600 said:

Don't get me wrong. Finding ways to extend our stay on this planet isn't a bad thing, but that's all it is. An extension. At some point we will outgrow this planet. Barring our extinction, we will always have a negative impact and billing a new energy source as progress is misleading. Its nothing more than a trade-off.

We are humans, capable of intelligent thought. 

We can adapt, survive, and thrive!

7 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

It’s almost 2021...there has to be a better way than some shitty pipeline under The Straits...jus sayin. 

As soon as the star trek transporters become a reality I am sure they will be the most popular method around.  Till then pipelines are hands down the safest way to transport any liquid . 

4 hours ago, Crowder said:

Someone posted a great link here a few months ago showing the huge environmental impact of gathering up ingredients for battery production. I can’t remember the details but it was an eye opener. The greenies ignore that aspect. 

And don't forget where 80% of the known rare earth needed to build those electric motors and generators and microprocessors  is located . And then the destruction and aftermath of the mining.  Then circle back to how said counterys treat the earth now . Yeah real enviornmentaly sound stuff and almost no toll on human life over keeping theses grounds accessible to the United States over the last 2o some yrs 

4 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

We are humans, capable of intelligent thought. 

We can adapt, survive, and thrive!

But there is too many of us. Every time nature finds a way to limit the number , humans go and fuck it up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

But there is too many of us. Every time nature finds a way to limit the number , humans go and fuck it up.

I disagree.

It isn't can we have "X" number of humans, it is will be allowed to have "X" number of humans on this planet?

10 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

I would be a bad ceo because I would shut it down and stop all imports to MI and do radio spots all winter about why people are paying 1000 bucks every 30 days for there heat bill 

Edited by Ez ryder
  • Haha 1