Check your account email address ×

Maine police using a controversial tool to monitor what you say online

4 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Crazy shit. 

some of us have been screaming about it from the top of every mountain for years ....this is nothing new. Also all the politicians you support are all for this shit so get fucked MC

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Crazy shit. 

This would be old news to us here... if you had had the same horror and contempt back in 2014, when it was happening right in your own back yard?

Any chance you read the Union Leader? I'm sure you've heard of it...

Monitoring social media

By SHAWNE K. WICKHAM
New Hampshire Sunday News

Highlight the target location and they appear: icons for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social media sites. Each one represents a post or photo from someone at that location at that very minute that can be viewed with a click of the mouse.

This is not science fiction; it's cutting-edge technology. And it could be coming soon to a police department near you.

Durham police is believed to be the first department in the state using Geofeedia, a "patented, cloud-based social media monitoring platform."
According to Geofeedia's web site, it lets users "search, monitor and analyze real-time social media content by location, from anywhere in the world, with a single click."

Geofeedia CEO Phil Harris stressed that only information posted publicly can be viewed; if you set your social media accounts and GPS location setting on your mobile device to private, what you post will remain invisible.
"You can go in and freely search all of these services and get the same data," Harris said. "All we're really doing is making it easier."

"Our corporate philosophy is to do good work with our technology."
Durham Police Chief David Kurz said his department has used Geofeedia three times since it purchased it in April. One use was after a report of an attempted abduction of a University of New Hampshire student; police used Geofeedia to monitor social media for any references to the incident to try to locate possible witnesses.
Some limits

Kurz said Geofeedia does not monitor phone conversations or texting. And he stressed, "Whatever it is that we're seeing is very much public."

Harris said his company's tool has already been used to prevent and solve crimes in Arizona; help aid agencies find victims during Hurricane Sandy and the Philippines typhoon; and connect retailers with customers at the Mall of America.
And right now, Harris said, New York's health department is using it to look for people who might be talking about unexplained fever or other Ebola symptoms, he said. "Their goal is to make sure an epidemic doesn't break out in New York City," he said.
Not everyone views this technology tool as benevolent.

Devon Chaffee, executive director of New Hampshire Civil Liberties Union, has concerns. "Yes, this information is public, but the question is, do we really want the police to be gathering and processing this information on community members that aren't suspected of any wrongdoing?" she asked.
And selectmen in Enfield balked when Police Chief Richard Crate Jr. asked them to approve buying the service. Earlier this month, two selectmen voted against it; the third abstained.

"I felt that it's a matter of privacy," said Selectman John Kluge. "That's one of the fundamental rights people have - or ought to have."
He noted the state Legislature has barred police from using license-plate scanners, and the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that police have to get warrants to search the contents of cell phones.

"I thought this was in the same vein," Kluge said. "It's sort of intruding upon people's homes, in a way."

http://www.unionleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20141019/NEWS04/141018987/1022/NEW...

40 minutes ago, f7ben said:

warrants? they dont need no stinking warrants

They can and always have "listened" without warrants. Now they have more options at their disposal. 

42 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

That state needs a good culling anyway.

:roflmao:

Please note Mainecat is not from Maine, he is originally from Massachussets and lives in New  Hampshire. He did buy a camp in Maine though and shut down the snowmobile trail running through the property. :snack:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GGNHL said:

Please note Mainecat is not from Maine, he is originally from Massachussets and lives in New  Hampshire. He did buy a camp in Maine though and shut down the snowmobile trail running through the property. :snack:

That sounds exactly the type of person I imagine him to be.  EXACTLY.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Anler said:

They can and always have "listened" without warrants. Now they have more options at their disposal. 

that is a clear violation of a persons civil rights and any agency caught engaging in this should be sued out of existence

Just now, Anler said:

Hard to prove...

hard to prove when the entirety of our law enforcement is complicit and every dept is filled with pieces of fucking dogshit who think its justified to shit on the constitution 

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

some of us have been screaming about it from the top of every mountain for years ....this is nothing new. Also all the politicians you support are all for this shit so get fucked MC

:lol:

Shit like this is one of a handful of issues that I know I'll be at odds with Trump about , things like this will get worse under him , not better IMO

54 minutes ago, f7ben said:

hard to prove when the entirety of our law enforcement is complicit and every dept is filled with pieces of fucking dogshit who think its justified to shit on the constitution 

Yep. growing up I knew cops who would stalk drug dealers, surprise bust them (off the books of course) and then squeeze them for kick backs. The up side is we always had access to drugs! LOL

1 hour ago, ICEMAN! said:

Hopefully Melania implements something like this in her battle to get all the mean people like momo off the internet.

I don't think that she's Riech Wing enough to start calling for the banishment of retards from the web but I guess we'll know for sure if he suddenly stops coming around

13 hours ago, Anler said:

Yep. growing up I knew cops who would stalk drug dealers, surprise bust them (off the books of course) and then squeeze them for kick backs. The up side is we always had access to drugs! LOL

I grew up in Joliet,same thing. Cops had the best weed back then.

• Platinum Contributing Member

While I'm against data mining of anything private keep in mind this is information people are already putting out in the public.   Not sure the same rules apply.

7 minutes ago, Highmark said:

While I'm against data mining of anything private keep in mind this is information people are already putting out in the public.   Not sure the same rules apply.

My issue is with the GPS.

Just to make a point though, this information allows officials in other capacities to target such things as Amber alerts and other public safety awareness situations.

I wish technology wasn't so 2 sided sometimes.

• Platinum Contributing Member
49 minutes ago, Snake said:

My issue is with the GPS.

Just to make a point though, this information allows officials in other capacities to target such things as Amber alerts and other public safety awareness situations.

I wish technology wasn't so 2 sided sometimes.

Don't care for that without a warrant but LE uses Facebook ALL THE TIME in investigations without warrants.  Watch any true life crime show.  Its public info guys just like the shit you put in your trash can.  If they wanted they could pick up everyone's trash and look thru it for signs of terrorism or whatever too.  It amazes me so many people would put controversial things on Facebook or internet forums.    

Edited by Highmark