Check your account email address ×

Vermont Now Has Mask Order

1 minute ago, frenchy said:

that's a cute summation. It's funny how you have made such great leaps in some areas but still crave the back-slaps and fist bumps so this is what we get from you. 

I have been in support of every common sense measure during this pandemic. This mask mandate is a useless placebo and I won’t participate. It’s literally just dumb as fuck. 

7 minutes ago, f7ben said:
  • A cloth mask or face covering does very little to prevent the emission or inhalation of small particles. As discussed in an earlier CIDRAP commentary and more recently by Morawska and Milton (2020) in an open letter to WHO signed by 239 scientists, inhalation of small infectious particles is not only biologically plausible, but the epidemiology supports it as an important mode of transmission for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/04/commentary-masks-all-covid-19-not-based-sound-data

There is a difference in the effectiveness of mask in regards to its construction, and properly fitting it to one's face.

Covid-19 mask safety: Two or three layers best to protect against virus, study finds

(CNN)Home-made cloth face masks likely need a minimum of two layers, and preferably three, to prevent the dispersal of viral droplets from the nose and mouth that are associated with the spread of COVID-19, indicates a video case study published online in the journal Thorax.

Viral droplets are generated during coughing, sneezing, or speaking. And face masks are thought to protect healthy people from inhaling infectious droplets as well as reducing the spread from those who are already infected.

But worldwide shortages of personal protective equipment during the pandemic have led some health agencies, such as the US Centers for Disease Control, to recommend the use of home-made cloth face coverings as an alternative to surgical face masks.

Several types of material have been suggested for these, but based on little or no evidence of how well they work.

A team of Australian researchers therefore compared the effectiveness of single and double-layer cloth face coverings (175 g/m² cotton fabric, with a thread count of 170/ inch) with a 3-ply surgical face mask at reducing droplet spread.

Double or triple layer best

The single layer covering was made from a folded piece of cotton T shirt and hair ties; the double layer covering was made using the sew method, as set out by CDC.

The researchers used a tailored LED lighting system and a high-speed camera to film the dispersal of airborne droplets produced by a healthy person with no respiratory infection, during speaking, coughing, and sneezing while wearing each type of mask.

The video recording showed that the 3-ply surgical face mask was the most effective at reducing airborne droplet dispersal, although even a single layer cloth face covering reduced the droplet spread from speaking.

But a double layer covering was better than a single layer in reducing the droplet spread from coughing and sneezing, the recording showed.

This is just one case, added to which several other factors contribute to the effectiveness of cloth face masks, note the researchers. These include the type of material used, design and fit, as well as the frequency of washing.

Nevertheless, based on their observations, a home made cloth mask with at least two layers is preferable to a single layer mask, they say, adding: "Guidelines on home-made cloth masks should stipulate multiple layers."

And they emphasise: "There is a need for more evidence to inform safer cloth mask design, and countries should ensure adequate manufacturing or procurement of surgical masks."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/23/health/covid-mask-layers-wellness/index.html

9 minutes ago, frenchy said:

I have no idea what you are talking about. Literally none. 

It's not okay to lie to people across the board

thought you lied apparently according to you in February and he just lied again at the baseball game but isn't he supposed to be the guy we should trust just to give us the facts? 

Apparently not and apparently you're okay with it

6 minutes ago, frenchy said:

based on the numbers from countries who have utilized the strategy the results are hard to ignore. 

That is 100% incorrect

United States is on the lower end with about 60% wearing mass some European countries are around 80 The numbers are barely different at all

And as if you can actually take any stock in any of the numbers coming out of the United States right now. Really You actually believe any of it?  I mean one error two errors 10 errors 100 errors okay but we're way beyond that

Edited by washedupmxer

1 minute ago, Tinker said:

My neck hurts again

You’re a fucking idiot , as most of us said from the start. Now go run some methanol on your skin you fucking cuck. I bet you ride around in your car alone with your dance rainbow mask on.

23 minutes ago, ckf said:

A family friend that works for FedEx express out of St Johnsbury said it has been crazy since covid hit. They have been getting their trucks about an hour latter than normal. An early night is getting home by 8.

I get home early, but only because I been on the same route for 20 years and can rip it. Bit yeah, guys with 45 hours going into Friday is quite common.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mileage Psycho said:

There is a difference in the effectiveness of mask in regards to its construction, and properly fitting it to one's face.

The cloth mask does nothing. The large droplet bullshit is just that. Large droplet do no stay suspended in air. You would literally have to cough a large droplet into someone’s eye. The masks are a placebo and control experiment. Nothing more

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, washedupmxer said:

United States is on the lower end with about 60% wearing mass some European countries are around 80 The numbers are barely different at all

In reality and based on the geometric rate of infection wearing masks so late in the game probably has little to no effect on mitigating further spread.....

9 hours ago, Woodtick said:

Hard to believe but the people of Illinois are glad that they don’t live in Michigan. We thought we lived in the most corrupt state, hold my beer, that cunt  is trumping all states with the dumb dumb rules. The mayor of Atlanta has the clear winner of idiot though.  She brings idiot to the next level.. either one as VP should give Trump a land slide victory. 

She could be VP & be president in 6 months once senile Joe kicks the bucket...

2 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

It’s funny how some like to rip Whitmer but our state is actually doing well as far  as cases and deaths and around here other than people wearing masks in stores it seems like a normal summer...busy as hell.

She made a mask rule for all inside now. That was never a rule for shutdown. She wants cops to wear them outside now - just to be a cunt.

57 minutes ago, ckf said:

Why wear a helmet when sledding? Why wear a seatbelt when in a car?  We aren't all as accident prone as Bhen :lol:  Come on dude, you know the reason for the mask. I could be asymptomatic and spread the virus without even knowing it.

The people working 8 or 10 hours in them - breathing CO2 is ok tho??

24 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Why do none of the mask retards ever acknowledge the multitude of professional Doctors and Scientists providing solid opinions on how useless wearing a cloth mask is?

Its because they are emotionally invested in believing they are doing something good when in reality all theyre doing is acting like a bunch of fucking sheep assholes

:goodpost:

Just now, frenchy said:

In reality and based on the geometric rate of infection wearing masks so late in the game probably has little to no effect on mitigating further spread.....

Wearing simple cloth masks at any point in the game has little to no effect on spread 

Just now, f7ben said:

Wearing simple cloth masks at any point in the game has little to no effect on spread 

It has an effect in areas where people are in close proximity and again even small mitigating factors can dramatically reduce the overall infection rate.

You must be really bad at math if you refuse to acknowledge this. 

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

The cloth mask does nothing. The large droplet bullshit is just that. Large droplet do no stay suspended in air. You would literally have to cough a large droplet into someone’s eye. The masks are a placebo and control experiment. Nothing more

Mask made me sneeze cuz of allergies the other day in Menards ...I took it off to sneeze :lol:... 

Who going to sneeze into the thing & leave it on your face ...gross

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, frenchy said:

It has an effect in areas where people are in close proximity and again even small mitigating factors can dramatically reduce the overall infection rate.

With a super infectious virus minuscule mitigation efforts have zero impact on final infection count. I could buy an argument on them potentially altering the speed of spread but even that’s debatable. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/04/02/everyone-wore-masks-during-1918-flu-pandemic-they-were-useless/%3foutputType=amp

Just now, ford_428cj said:

Mask made me sneeze cuz of allergies the other day in Menards ...I took it off to sneeze :lol:... 

Yeah because wearing a mask while you sneeze is actually negating what the body's trying to do by sneezing in the first place

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

N95's, KN95's, etc. are very effective, double and triple layer cloth mask reduce the aerosols.

Something is better than nothing, a leather hemet while not a protective as modern helmet is better than no helmet.

And who gives a fuck about controlling you or any other reptillinn believeing numbskull? The answer is no one, it's your own paranoia that has you fucked up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, frenchy said:

The death rate is waaay below 1%. Making people miserable working in masks is not worth it. 

Lucky the place where I am - doesn't give a fuck about the mask rule.

Just now, ford_428cj said:

Myself , my wife and my daughter all have asthma. None of us are required to wear a mask. I can’t wait for the first time some Tinker faggot tries to shame any of us for not having one on. I will also immediately hire a lawyer if any business refuses me service. It is illegal to discriminate against me based on my medical condition.

We all will carry our inhalers as proof.

Just now, f7ben said:

With a super infectious virus minuscule mitigation efforts have zero impact on final infection count. I could buy an argument on them potentially altering the speed of spread but even that’s debatable. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/04/02/everyone-wore-masks-during-1918-flu-pandemic-they-were-useless/%3foutputType=amp

Wrong. In fact it's the exact opposite.

Easing lockdowns and covid-19
The geometry of the pandemic in America

Even modest changes in behaviour can cause huge rises in coronavirus infections

Jul 23rd 2020

Editor’s note: Some of our covid-19 coverage is free for readers of The Economist Today, our daily newsletter. For more stories and our pandemic tracker, see our hub

WHY HAVE covid-19 cases risen so fast? The answer may seem blindingly obvious. But it is not. And the implications of the real answer are even more worrying than those of the obvious one.

The manifest and palpable explanation is that, when lockdowns were eased, people started moving around more, and those who were infected started passing the virus on. This is consistent with the chronology. Most states began to lift restrictions around the end of April or the start of May. Allowing a few weeks for the disease to develop brings you to the start of June when cases began their recent spike.

This is not wrong, but nor is it the whole story, because the pattern of people’s activity does not match the pattern of infection. As the chart shows, new infections fell gradually and gently from 100 cases per million people in mid-April to about 60 in mid-June. America at this point seemed to be following Europe and East Asia down the other side of the mountain of infections. But in mid-June, something extraordinary happened. Infections exploded, increasing fourfold in the next four weeks.

Indices of day-to-day activity, however, show a different pattern. Such data, which are based on mobile-phone tracking, reveal no real change as lockdowns were eased. Unacast, an American-Norwegian firm that provides information to retail businesses, uses anonymised phone data to track how far people are travelling, how often they are making non-essential visits (for example, to cinemas or restaurants) and how often they are meeting others. All three indices show a big fall in activity until mid-April (ie, early in the pandemic), then a wobbly, gradual rise from April to now. As lockdowns ended, most people did not stampede to bars or beaches. SafeGraph, another retail-information company, shows a similar pattern in visits to restaurants, shops and hotels. Human-activity levels have increased linearly and gradually since April, whereas coronavirus cases first fell, then rose exponentially. Does that mean the easing of lockdowns is not to blame, because it has not made a clear difference to people’s behaviour or to the spread of the virus? In a word: no.

The explanation for the pattern of American infections lies in something of central importance to the spread of a virus: geometric progression, such as 1, 2, 4, 8, 16. If one person infects two, two infect four and so on. Unless the rate of infection is driven down by reducing contacts, any geometric increase quickly balloons: 256, 512, 1,024. This is the lesson of the inventor of chess, who in legend asked, as a reward, for one grain of rice on the first square and twice as many on each successive square. There was not enough rice in India to pay his reward. That is one explanation for America’s explosively rising caseload. With almost 4m infections, the country is on square 23.

Another explanation is that the starting point matters. If you begin a geometric progression at one, the tenth in the sequence is 512. If you begin at three, the tenth iteration is 1,536. American states began easing lockdowns, as it were, at three: their caseloads were three or more times higher than in Europe, in part, argues Jarbas Barbosa of the Pan-American Health Organisation, because most states never had full lockdowns. Texas had 1,270 new cases on the day its governor said restaurants could re-open: 44 per million. In Georgia, the rate was 95 per million. Disney World reopened the day before Florida announced a record 15,000 new cases in a day. Just as incredibly, in two-thirds of states, infections were rising when governors started to ease lockdowns. By contrast, France, Spain and Italy had 13-17 new cases per million when they began to re-open their economies and numbers were falling fast.

Rajiv Rimal of Johns Hopkins University has modelled the effect on infections of different levels of activity. On April 12th, he reckons, 95% of the population was staying at home (leaving the house only for essential visits), with 5% ignoring lockdown rules. Based on those assumptions, his model predicts that America would have had 559,400 cases on that day—an accurate assessment (it actually had 554,849). On July 14th, Mr Rimal assumed that 80% of the population was staying at home, ie, only a gradual change. On this basis, his model predicts the country would have 3.6m cases, again not far off the actual number and confirming the impact of modest rises in activity. If people really alter their behaviour, the number would rise even further: to 5.6m cases if the stay-at-home share drops to 60% and to 9.5m if it falls to 20%. In that worst case, America’s death toll could top 400,000. Such is the dark logic of geometric growth.

The implication of these figures is that, when the virus is widespread, even small amounts of activity can make infections soar. You do not need vast, mask-less crowds, though America had those, too. So the public-health task is clear: to drive the level of infection down to perhaps a tenth of what it is now (closer to European or Asian levels). That seems to require full lockdowns. At the moment, few politicians seem prepared for such a thing. True, nine states have reversed some restrictions and 13 have paused their reopenings. At his first televised news conference about the virus since late April, President Donald Trump urged people to “get a mask”. But no governor has yet been willing to tell everyone to stay home. Some reopenings continue and Georgia’s governor sued the mayor of Atlanta when she ordered people to wear masks. “We’re having a dozen New Yorks all over the country,” says Peter Hotez, of the Texas Children’s Hospital in Houston. “It’s predominantly in low-income metro areas. Hispanic communities are being devastated. And there’s no leadership dealing with it.”

Editor’s note: Some of our covid-19 coverage is free for readers of The Economist Today, our daily newsletter. For more stories and our pandemic tracker, see our hub

This article appeared in the United States section of the print edition under the headline "The geometry of the pandemic"

eco.png.f5f491acef6f399c29623eeba6deb5b0.png

N95's, KN95's, etc. are very effective, double and triple layer cloth mask reduce the aerosols.

Something is better than nothing, a leather hemet while not a protective as modern helmet is better than no helmet.

And who gives a fuck about controlling you or any other reptillinn believeing numbskull? The answer is no one, it's your own paranoia that has you fucked up.

I agree an n95 offers some protection but literally no one is wearing that. Your favorite football teams bandana over your mouth does absolutely nothing and that’s a fact

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Myself , my wife and my daughter all have asthma. None of us are required to wear a mask. I can’t wait for the first time some Tinker faggot tries to shame any of us for not having one on. I will also immediately hire a lawyer if any business refuses me service. It is illegal to discriminate against me based on my medical condition.

We all will carry our inhalers as proof.

no you won't. 

2 minutes ago, washedupmxer said:

Yeah because wearing a mask while you sneeze is actually negating what the body's trying to do by sneezing in the first place

Zactly. 

Nobody wears N95s. I have a customer that I swear is wearing an old pair of his wife's bikini bottoms on his face. I want to say so bad ...but :lol:

Death rate again...you won't acknowledge that aspect :read:

• Haha 1