Check your account email address ×

The power of health insurance companies

Looking over the surgical costs I’m blown away by the discounts health insurance companies negotiate with in network health care providers. Doctor’s fees cut by 2/3rds. PA fees from $8400 to $490? The poor people without insurance are fucked.  

Edited by spin_dry

43 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Looking over the surgical costs I’m blown away by the discounts health insurance companies negotiate with in network health care providers. Doctor’s fees cut by 2/3rds. PA fees from $8400 to $490? The poor people without insurance are fucked.  

i said that when my son had his ACLs done.  Rack rate was over 50k insurance rate less the 10k.  Friends a biller at the local hospital.  No insurance and they start with a 40% discount if you call about the bill.  its all smoke and mirrors.  If we charged the real amounts I would get a catastrophic policy and pay out of pocket.  at 18k a year that i pay for insurance that buys a lot of care.

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

not true . i have a big deductable have not hit it in years . I always call and negotiate my visit price before I even go in same with drugs the small pharmacys will work with you .

but yeah talk about power who do you think wrote the ACA ? 

my aunt was head of risk management for UHC she was fucking giddy over it . 

7 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

not true . i have a big deductable have not hit it in years . I always call and negotiate my visit price before I even go in same with drugs the small pharmacys will work with you .

but yeah talk about power who do you think wrote the ACA ? 

my aunt was head of risk management for UHC she was fucking giddy over it . 

You’ve got shitty insurance. 

34 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

i said that when my son had his ACLs done.  Rack rate was over 50k insurance rate less the 10k.  Friends a biller at the local hospital.  No insurance and they start with a 40% discount if you call about the bill.  its all smoke and mirrors.  If we charged the real amounts I would get a catastrophic policy and pay out of pocket.  at 18k a year that i pay for insurance that buys a lot of care.

The problem is that many people have no idea that costs can be negotiated. That’s just a fucked up method of doing business. 

9 hours ago, spin_dry said:

The problem is that many people have no idea that costs can be negotiated. That’s just a fucked up method of doing business. 

The problem?  It's not my problem that people can't or don't have the cognitive ability to figure out how to negotiate.

45 minutes ago, racer254 said:

The problem?  It's not my problem that people can't or don't have the cognitive ability to figure out how to negotiate.

I wouldn’t expect you to see the difference between negotiating on the cost of an automobile vs an essential human need such as medical care. You’re part of the problem why medical costs remain out of control. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

I wouldn’t expect you to see the difference between negotiating on the cost of an automobile vs an essential human need such as medical care. You’re part of the problem why medical costs remain out of control. 

Oh really?  Tell us how good you are doing in your field of essential medical care.  Remember, you constantly brag about how well off you are.  Maybe you are the problem.

12 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Exactly!  There's enough to worry about and plan on a daily basis when a person is being productive day in and day out.  Now something happens to that person health-wise, and guess what, now they're no longer being a productive member of society, and likely won't be until they get their health back.  So common sense tells me keep them as productive and healthy as possible, they have no time on their plate to be worrying about haggling and negotiating over a goddamned medical bill.

This is where this administration has dropped the ball the biggest in my book, is with health care coverage.  4 more years and still nothing anyone could call 'fair' health care.  Between the amount of society abusing the system, and the amount of corporate greed involved, it's disgusting that the common working man can't afford healthcare for his family without a subsidy tax-credit  payment.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Ha.

Haha.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

25 minutes ago, hayward said:

Exactly!  There's enough to worry about and plan on a daily basis when a person is being productive day in and day out.  Now something happens to that person health-wise, and guess what, now they're no longer being a productive member of society, and likely won't be until they get their health back.  So common sense tells me keep them as productive and healthy as possible, they have no time on their plate to be worrying about haggling and negotiating over a goddamned medical bill.

This is where this administration has dropped the ball the biggest in my book, is with health care coverage.  4 more years and still nothing anyone could call 'fair' health care.  Between the amount of society abusing the system, and the amount of corporate greed involved, it's disgusting that the common working man can't afford healthcare for his family without a subsidy tax-credit  payment.

It’s ridiculous and psychopathIc. The system is set up so an individual, who’s already under stress, has to be haggling over their highly inflated healthcare cost. The system is fucking rigged. 

46 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Oh really?  Tell us how good you are doing in your field of essential medical care.  Remember, you constantly brag about how well off you are.  Maybe you are the problem.

You’re not even worth a breath. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, racer254 said:

And I am sure he charges the max amount possible, depending on what the insurance of the patient will cover.

It’s all about people helping other people.

-liberal proverb

8 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Hey, I see you're back.  Your baller stimulus check must have finally dried up.

Literally the dumbest person I’ve been exposed to. 

• Platinum Contributing Member

The addition of expensive diagnosis methods/treatments/surgeries has vastly out gained the addition of early preventative methods to reduce the need for said care down the road.

Our HC costs will continue to skyrocket if we can't stop or limit things before they get expensive to diagnose and treat. 

6 minutes ago, Highmark said:

The addition of expensive diagnosis methods/treatments/surgeries has vastly out gained the addition of early preventative methods to reduce the need for said care down the road.

Our HC costs will continue to skyrocket if we can't stop or limit things before they get expensive to diagnose and treat. 

Procedures that are in trial are not only evaluated for efficacy, but also cost effectiveness. There’s dozens of procedures that are deemed unworkable because of cost even though they have very promising outcomes. So I partially disagree with your thoughts here. I do agree that the diagnostic costs are totally out of control. MRI costs are ridiculous. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, spin_dry said:

Procedures that are in trial are not only evaluated for efficacy, but also cost effectiveness. There’s dozens of procedures that are deemed unworkable because of cost even though they have very promising outcomes. So I partially disagree with your thoughts here. I do agree that the diagnostic costs are totally out of control. MRI costs are ridiculous. 

Bullshit.   We do a million joint replacement surgeries each year now.   By 2030 they are expecting 4 million a year.   How many were done 20-30 years ago?   That's just one example.   People just use to just live with certain ailments.   By no means am I against these incredible gains we've made at making peoples life better but to think its not going to have a impact on our overall HC costs for ALL OF US is simply fucking ludicrous.