Check your account email address ×

The power of health insurance companies

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Bullshit.   We do a million joint replacement surgeries each year now.   By 2030 they are expecting 4 million a year.   How many were done 20-30 years ago?   That's just one example.   People just use to just live with certain ailments.   By no means am I against these incredible gains we've made at making peoples life better but to think its not going to have a impact on our overall HC costs for ALL OF US is simply fucking ludicrous.  

What was the cost of joint replacement 20-30 years ago? 2 weeks in the hospital vs 12-22 hours and then home. Back to work in 2-6 weeks vs being off 3-4 months. Jesus man, get with the program. The overall cost of these procedures and the consumption of healthcare delivery hours has dropped exponentially. Not to mention decrease recovery time and subsequent productivity. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

What was the cost of joint replacement 20-30 years ago? 2 weeks in the hospital vs 12-22 hours and then home. Back to work in 2-6 weeks vs being off 3-4 months. Jesus man, get with the program. The overall cost of these procedures and the consumption of healthcare delivery hours has dropped exponentially. Not to mention decrease recovery time and subsequent productivity. 

Missing my point.   20-30 years ago it was much less used.   Yes some of the benefits offset the cost of surgery but a significant portion of these are done on those already retired so your back to work claim is not what you think.  

14 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Missing my point.   20-30 years ago it was much less used.   Yes some of the benefits offset the cost of surgery but a significant portion of these are done on those already retired so your back to work claim is not what you think.  

Not missing your point at all. We have different social priorities. I’m not for rationing health care. I am for rationing wars and bullshit military spending. Now as for the rate of joint replacement, it’s increasing quite rapidly among younger people in America. And as for the rate of joint replacement, America is behind the curve when compared to European countries by a wide margin. They do a much better job at taking care of their citizenry. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Bullshit.   We do a million joint replacement surgeries each year now.   By 2030 they are expecting 4 million a year.   How many were done 20-30 years ago?   That's just one example.   People just use to just live with certain ailments.   By no means am I against these incredible gains we've made at making peoples life better but to think its not going to have a impact on our overall HC costs for ALL OF US is simply fucking ludicrous.  

10 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Not missing your point at all. We have different social priorities. I’m not for rationing health care. I am for rationing wars and bullshit military spending. Now as for the rate of joint replacement, it’s increasing quite rapidly among younger people in America. And as for the rate of joint replacement, America is behind the curve when compared to European countries by a wide margin. They do a much better job at taking care of their citizenry. 

Fuck man read much?

I post all the time about getting out of everywhere not just the conflict zones.   I also post all the time that I want a huge reduction in military spending. 

13 hours ago, spin_dry said:

You’ve got shitty insurance. 

Catastrophic insurance plans are good for people like me who don't go to the doctor alot. My premiums are like $1900 a month for my family and I pay 100% of that. But I don't use that much in a year. Not to mention co-pays and deductibles which make it cost more.

So if I had a catastrophic plan for much cheaper with a $10k deductible it's more affordable over the course of a year and will still protect me from going broke if something big happened. I can pay for visits out of pocket and still save quite a bit. 

18 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Fuck man read much?

I post all the time about getting out of everywhere not just the conflict zones.   I also post all the time that I want a huge reduction in military spending. 

Every conservative/republican on this site is of this same mindset, yet every lib is convinced otherwise.   They literally have no concept as to why trump was voted in and they want to keep using arguments like this because they are being programmed to believe this.   I showed him the dems that voted in 2002 for the Iraq war and many of those same people are still in office.   This argument is only used against republicans.  Democrats are fine if they voted for it.

spin has been touting this war cry for the last 3+ years against trump and it just isn't happening.  Period.

Edited by racer254

39 minutes ago, Anler said:

Catastrophic insurance plans are good for people like me who don't go to the doctor alot. My premiums are like $1900 a month for my family and I pay 100% of that. But I don't use that much in a year. Not to mention co-pays and deductibles which make it cost more.

So if I had a catastrophic plan for much cheaper with a $10k deductible it's more affordable over the course of a year and will still protect me from going broke if something big happened. I can pay for visits out of pocket and still save quite a bit. 

I understand that. It’s still shitty insurance. I was able to hang on to my plan after retirement. It’s $920/mo. $1000 deductible 10% copay up to $1900 out of pocket max. Surgery cost me $1900. I can live with that. I pay for it until Medicare. 

4 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I understand that. It’s still shitty insurance. I was able to hang on to my plan after retirement. It’s $920/mo. $1000 deductible 10% copay up to $1900 out of pocket max. Surgery cost me $1900. I can live with that. I pay for it until Medicare. 

You are single. 

2 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Procedures that are in trial are not only evaluated for efficacy, but also cost effectiveness. There’s dozens of procedures that are deemed unworkable because of cost even though they have very promising outcomes. So I partially disagree with your thoughts here. I do agree that the diagnostic costs are totally out of control. MRI costs are ridiculous. 

I often wonder just how fucking long does it take to pay off an MRI machine?  

17 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Yes. For now. 

if you were half as smart as you think you are, you'd stay that way.....

get yourself a good rental plan :D

Edited by hayward

3 minutes ago, hayward said:

if you were half as smart as you think you are, you'd stay that way.....

get yourself a good rental plan :D

only reason i can see getting remarried is if your scared to die alone.  Certainly no real benefit in it.  

8 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

only reason i can see getting remarried is if your scared to die alone.  Certainly no real benefit in it.  

a neighbor who was divorced always told me, you never move a woman in with you, you always move in with her, that way you just pack your shit up, and your gone.:lol:

11 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

It’s kinda nice having someone else around the house and for travel. I’m still debating how nice. The only thing about dying that would bother me is having to have someone clean up a mess that I created. I’ve had to deal with too much of that. 

Edited by spin_dry

37 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

It’s kinda nice having someone else around the house and for travel. I’m still debating how nice. The only thing about dying that would bother me is having to have someone clean up a mess that I created. I’ve had to deal with too much of that. 

can do all that without marriage

4 hours ago, spin_dry said:

It’s ridiculous and psychopathIc. The system is set up so an individual, who’s already under stress, has to be haggling over their highly inflated healthcare cost. The system is fucking rigged. 

I agree 100%, there's no doubt the system is rigged. 

3 hours ago, Highmark said:

OMG, you're nuts if you use that as an example for high health costs. :lmao:You really should start with the greed of the industry itself before you blame patients, unbelievable. :lol:

11 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

OMG, you're nuts if you use that as an example for high health costs. :lmao:You really should start with the greed of the industry itself before you blame patients, unbelievable. :lol:

Whose blaming the patients?   I'm simply saying medicine offers much more care today than it did 20 years ago.   Just so happens much of the newer diagnostics and treatments are more and more complex and yes more expensive.   I simply stated that I understand why overall our HC costs are going up.....not that people shouldn't be allowed to utilize it.   You must have me confused with Ginger and others who think rationing of the treatment of the elderly should take place.  :lol:  

Edited by Highmark

7 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

The greed of the system is blinding. All one has do to is compare the cost of procedures here to Europe. The difference is astounding. Joint replacement is common place over there. At a fraction of the cost here. 

• Like 1

Just now, Highmark said:

Whose blaming the patients?   I'm simply saying medicine offers much more care today than it did 20 years ago.   Just so happens much of the newer diagnostics and treatments are more and more complex and yes more expensive.   I simply stated that I understand why overall our HC costs are going up.....not that people shouldn't be allowed to utilize it.   You must have me confused with Ginger and others who think rationing of the treatment of the elderly should take place.  :lol:  

it's the only way the system will work in the long run.