Check your account email address ×

the news from maine

if you are thinking about coming up here sledding the state says stay home. clubs have been told to stop grooming hopping that will deter people from coming. bar harbor says this to the tourist stay home we are closed. and they depend on tourist money. its about all they have on the island beside jackson lab. the eliver fishier has   has been set ahead 2 weeks. also called glass ells are worth a lot of money. and another fatal sled crash this time in mapleton

I was reading some of the FB posts on the ME trails this morning.  The locals were telling the out of staters to stay home and keep their virus away. That wasn't going over well, lol

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, ckf said:

I was reading some of the FB posts on the ME trails this morning.  The locals were telling the out of staters to stay home and keep their virus away. That wasn't going over well, lol

Cant blame em. All it takes is one infected fucker.

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

Cant blame em. All it takes is one infected fucker.

Agreed.  The *tourists * were saying that the locals couldn't live there if it wasn't for them spending their money there.

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 minutes ago, ckf said:

Vilas county in Northern Wi when my cabin is sent a message out to stay home and not come up.   

Can't say I blame them as their medical services are not massive and they have a pretty old population in general.   When at the bars the locals are all elderly. 

Just now, Highmark said:

Vilas county in Northern Wi when my cabin is sent a message out to stay home and not come up.   

Can't say I blame them as their medical services are not massive and they have a pretty old population in general.   When at the bars the locals are all elderly. 

Never thought of that.  Good point. 

1 minute ago, MILFMAN said:

A lot of people from out of state going up to their camps to enjoy their time off.....

It's just the typical local vs flatlander battle that has been going on for years. Ive always said that a flatlander is an attitude,  not where you are from :bc:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MILFMAN said:

A lot of people from out of state going up to their camps to enjoy their time off.....

I definitely thought about it. But we don’t have internet or tv at the cabin. The kids would revolt. :lol: 

my wife is cfo for a trucking co. some of the problems they are having. rest areas in some states are closed some are parking only. some truck stops dont have take out food finding a bathroom imposable in some places. fast food drive up only no walking through. wabitv5 interviewed a trucking in northern me. he said the same thing. fox news interviewed a lady trucker pretty much the same problems. when they asked her what she was hauling she said i dont know. because she is not allowed to say. one of the hottest loads to steal used to be campbells soup. cause they could sell it on the street in big cities fast. freight is hot now

59 minutes ago, ckf said:

Agreed.  The *tourists * were saying that the locals couldn't live there if it wasn't for them spending their money there.

and the tourists for the most part are right.  Out side those cutting wood and growing potatoes there is nothing else up there besides tourism

44 minutes ago, snowstorm said:

my wife is cfo for a trucking co. some of the problems they are having. rest areas in some states are closed some are parking only. some truck stops dont have take out food finding a bathroom imposable in some places. fast food drive up only no walking through. wabitv5 interviewed a trucking in northern me. he said the same thing. fox news interviewed a lady trucker pretty much the same problems. when they asked her what she was hauling she said i dont know. because she is not allowed to say. one of the hottest loads to steal used to be campbells soup. cause they could sell it on the street in big cities fast. freight is hot now

i went to OH thursday and home yesterday.  Was surprised they closed up all the rest areas except for truck parking.  The truck stops were all open though although no eating inside allowed.  Sucks to not be able to sit and have a meal.  I ate on the hood at a gas station in PA Thursday night because another meal while driving was not working for me.  

We hear it from the locals complaining about the citiots year round. The town needs the tourism from snowmobilers, atvs and the heavy boat traffic coming thru the locks in the summer. It's a zoo here in the summer and we avoid going there on the weekends and if we need anything it's pretty simple to plan it during the week. All the local businesses wouldn't survive relying on just the locals

and theres this story. i will not say what island it was . seems the locals made it clear they didnt want the summer people that own houses there coming. a couple from away gave a bag full of cash to someone will a boat to drop them on the beach at night. they were from ny city.....maybe...there plan was to stay in there guest cottage

Nantucket and Marthas Vineyard islands are saying the same.  stay away. land owner or not if you dont live here, dont come. Nantucket is in a shelter in place situation now with there first case reported.

the state partly shut down. but dont worry you big city guys forestry arg fishing trucking remain open. so we will cut plenty of wood that will be made into t paper and fine trucks to haul it to ya and you can still get your lobster. also says esencial construction. so dose that mean the state paves rds or not. those are not the only things allowed to stay open. dose say no spar or hair cuts 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, snowstorm said:

the state partly shut down. but dont worry you big city guys forestry arg fishing trucking remain open. so we will cut plenty of wood that will be made into t paper and fine trucks to haul it to ya and you can still get your lobster. also says esencial construction. so dose that mean the state paves rds or not. those are not the only things allowed to stay open. dose say no spar or hair cuts 

Actually the lobster guys have shut down as of now. No market for them so all the dealers have told them to stay home and are refusing to buy

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, GGNHL said:

Actually the lobster guys have shut down as of now. No market for them so all the dealers have told them to stay home and are refusing to buy

might be some fishing off shore but not inshore for a while. 

On 3/23/2020 at 8:10 AM, snowstorm said:

All of the refineries/fuel terminals have drivers using porta potties. Which spread the virus far quicker/easier than a regular bathroom! I'm glad to be off on medical and not deal with the trucking issues currently. We are running 4 10's right now, no work. Usually run 4 or 5 12's. I feel bad for the guys running OTR, then again, I always do!