Check your account email address ×

Wanna buy a brand new Buick GNX?

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

MOMO that has to be one hell of a storage facility to hold over 40 cars. That’s impressive 

How did acquire them?

Do you have a caretaker for all those cars?

Just a mechanic lots of my own work like a dozen or so run mostly newer stuff 70's and newer some 60's  I have a 31 Chrysler Imperial oldest car that is a 9 out of 10 most are projects needing TLC and restoration but all are intact  :)

• Like 1

Just now, Momorider said:

Just a mechanic lots of my own work like a dozen or so run mostly newer stuff 70's and newer some 60's  I have a 31 Chrysler Imperial oldest car that is a 9 out of 10 most are projects needing TLC and restoration but all are intact  :)

fuck man that's a ton of work to do.

I want to see some pics

The GNX was probably the quickest car out of the factory up until that point that GM made. It's too bad that it wasn't in the muscle car hayday. Other than the few special order cars or after market built cars there wasn't any that 1/4 miled better than it and it was a V6

Just now, smokin george said:

The GNX was probably the quickest car out of the factory up until that point that GM made. It's too bad that it wasn't in the muscle car hayday. Other than the few special order cars or after market built cars there wasn't any that 1/4 miled better than it and it was a V6

I thought the GNX was made for LEOs originally

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Not sure on that!. I know LEO"s had some pretty wicked hwy cars back in the day. We were heading down to Chicago in my buddies Cobra Mustang back in 1970 and passed a 427 Nova and I said I think it's a cop. My buddy slowed down and switched lanes and the Nova passed and had state trooper on the passenger side lol

3 minutes ago, smokin george said:

Not sure on that!. I know LEO"s had some pretty wicked hwy cars back in the day. We were heading down to Chicago in my buddies Cobra Mustang back in 1970 and passed a 427 Nova and I said I think it's a cop. My buddy slowed down and switched lanes and the Nova passed and had state trooper on the passenger side lol

427 Nova police pursuit car :lol:

Anything other than a straight line the Nova would be left in the dust 

3 minutes ago, smokin george said:

Ford used to sell the cop cars to the city of Dearborn for a buck. They had Mustangs and Lincoln’s and every car ford made turned into undercover cop cars. Really had to watch going thru there.

:lol: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

over 40? holy shit. Are they all American made vehicles? what the condition of them? Are they kept inside?

I want to see some pics of them

1 hour ago, Pete said:

interesting. Pics pics pics!

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

post em up

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I wanna see these cars as I’m into older iron 

cmon momo let’s see 

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

yeah , post em up. I know if I had em I would have at least one pic of every one of them with me standing beside them.

1 hour ago, Cold War said:

X2 .  I like seeing collections.   

1 hour ago, Pete said:

fuck man that's a ton of work to do.

I want to see some pics

Don't hold your breath

:snack:

58 minutes ago, smokin george said:

Incorrect 

The whole Grand National story is interesting.

I remember when the little turbo V6 was beating the muscle cars of the time.   The T type was interesting.  That thing was really under rated.  It was a true sleeper car.  Then, they upped the game with the Grand National.  The Grand National was a cool car for a young guy.  It looked pretty dang good.  It was a car I could drive, friends could ride along, and the seats still worked for hanging close to your gal. 

I had been driving Camaro and TAs for years.  Those T types would always kick my ass without looking like they could.  The Grand Nationals looked like they could if you stuck to a straight line.  The cars were intriguing.  I decided to order one when I heard GM/buick was getting rid of the body and the GN badge.  It seemed like a long wait for the car to be built.

I made a fateful decision when the dealer did call.  He had bad news and good news.  My Grand National wasn't going to be built.  He didn't know a lot of details, but they were doing a special run of a limited edition car to end the run.  Did I want to keep my name on the list and take one of the limited run cars?  It was a tough decision and I wanted more details.  What was different?  How much would it cost?  (I didn't have tons of money with school and misc bills.)  The dealer tried to find out more about these cars.  He found out that I would have a specific run number.  (The number seventeen rings a bell, but I can't remember for sure.)  It would have roughly 100 more HP with different wheels, tires, added stabilizers, and special seats.  The price would be another 10k over the car I had originally ordered.  The price was a big jump over the $17,800 range for a young guy like me.  I also knew that it would be a car I couldn't really drive to make it hold or gain value.  That was a big factor too.   I needed to buy another decent car just to drive.  It was a tough decision and I did have time to think.  None were produced yet and my early down payment held the car.

My workplace had a big layoff while I was trying to decide.  I still had a job, but it made me nervous.  I figured it would take at least a year after purchase to sell the car and make some money.  A year is a long time.  Long time to leave it sit.  Long time to pay for the car, insurance, and a second car.

My decision - I finally told the dealer that I just couldn't safely swing the money.  I had to give up my spot on the list.  No GNX for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pete said:

It is actually reversed a bit.

The FBI wanted some of the turbo regals as sleeper cars.  They were sent out unbadged and looked rather generic.  The GNX came out after the FBI started using the turbo Regals.  The GNX badged cars had some of the goodies that were built into the FBI cars.

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

No.  Interest level zero.  GM was building absolute shit back then, despite this being a possible exception.

The Grand Nationals and T types were piece of shit too. Very fast pieces of shit. The t type that I owned was one headache after another. I finally traded it for a Honda Accord. 

2 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

Lots 

https://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/the-top-50-fastest-muscle-cars-of-all-time/

Obviously this list is older, but you can the picture. 

I always thought the GN/GNX's power and performance figures were understated by GM so as not to embarrass Chevy and more specifically the Corvette. That was the story in the day anyways. My uncle was a GM dealer back in the 80's and that was the story that came down from GM execs. :dunno: 

I thought that the LB4 turbo was actually a better built motor than the Buick turbo and would take better to mods. Unfortunately it lived a short life. I read where Clint Eastwood still uses his typhoon as a daily driver. 

6 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

Lots 

https://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/the-top-50-fastest-muscle-cars-of-all-time/

Obviously this list is older, but you can the picture. 

The first 3 on the list don't count as they're after 1987. COPO cars don't as well as they were aftermarket builds. I'm talking a car off the showroom floor up until that point. Stock for stock the GNX and the GN ran as quick as anything made. A proper tune/slicks they ran 12.20"s whereas all the factory muscle cars needed aftermarket parts to get as quick. 

10 minutes ago, frenchy said:

I always thought the GN/GNX's power and performance figures were understated by GM so as not to embarrass Chevy and more specifically the Corvette. That was the story in the day anyways. My uncle was a GM dealer back in the 80's and that was the story that came down from GM execs. :dunno: 

That’s true. The GN’s were real sleepers. They were one of the first to use electronic engine monitoring to survive the add on of a turbo and intercooler. They could stomp a vette 

• Platinum Contributing Member

Buick Regal was sweet but I was more into the 83-84 Hurst olds.   Missed on a great opportunity 8-10 years ago before their popularity started to rise.   Found one with 29,000 miles is excellent shape that they were only asking $9000.  Waited a day and it was gone.  :wall: 

Someday I'd like to do a restomod version.   Keeping it all matching is not that big a deal on a car like this.

7 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

That’s true. The GN’s were real sleepers. They were one of the first to use electronic engine monitoring to survive the add on of a turbo and intercooler. They could stomp a vette 

All the muscle cars had an underrated HP due to ins etc. The 69 302 Z28 was rated 275 or 285hp I forget and was fast for what it was. The 340 Darts/Dusters were 275 hp and with the lightweight were Roadrunner/GTX/Cuda beaters

1 minute ago, smokin george said:

All the muscle cars had an underrated HP due to ins etc. The 69 302 Z28 was rated 275 or 285hp I forget and was fast for what it was. The 340 Darts/Dusters were 275 hp and with the lightweight were Roadrunner/GTX/Cuda beaters

Z-28 was rated at 290hp

it was more like 400

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Z-28 was rated at 290hp

it was more like 400

I'm old and forget lol. I lived thru that era and could tell you all the HP ratings, what engines were boat anchors and what was needed to go fast for most of those cars

• Thanks 1