Check your account email address ×

2017 Eco-Boost, 8K repair bill so far....

Kivalo

• Gold Member

Buddy of mine put copper plugs(for 3 weeks and then switched back to original plugs) in his 2017 Ecoboost and now, according to Ford, burned a hole in the side of the #5 piston which allowed the rings to slide out of position  and score the block. Ford tells him 8K for repairs, a new block and piston and then rebuild from the old motor. Apparently the cab has to come off. Evidently its still under warranty EXCEPT for the copper plugs(3 weeks).

GOD DAMN!!!!  :lol:

Edited by Kivalo

• Gold Member
Just now, Anler said:

And they(Ford) are going to honor the warranty? 

I dunno yet, he is waiting to here.  I guess he was trying to fix a misfire issue. The new plugs didnt work so he put the stock plugs back in.

1 minute ago, Kivalo said:

Does it make sense that these plug could burn a hole in side of the piston? Why wouldn't the damage be on the top of the piston?

I think it could be the plugs that did the damage thats why I asked if he put them in there. He could be fucked. 

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, washedupmxer said:

And why would he use any plugs  with a different specification than what it calls for

As I understand it these plugs are rated for this motor. According to my buddy anyway.

• Gold Member
Just now, Anler said:

I think it could be the plugs that did the damage thats why I asked if he put them in there. He could be fucked. 

The fucked up part is he took plugs out and reinstalled the stock plugs. He never shoulda told the dealership!  :lol:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

Does it make sense that these plug could burn a hole in side of the piston? Why wouldn't the damage be on the top of the piston?

Yeah I’ve often seen detonation on an engine like that blow through the side of the piston