Check your account email address ×

Is this one of them FIBs I keep hearing about?

• Platinum Contributing Member

CHICAGO — After deciding it would be more cost-effective, a Chicago man hauled his first-ever snowmobile over 400 miles on top of his Chevy Malibu.

Tommy Mecher, 22, of Jefferson Park, knew something could have been brewing on Facebook after his Jan. 3 trip to Bessemer, Michigan.

“I thought something was going to happen because there were people speeding down the highway trying to take pictures,” Mecher said.

Sure enough, when he logged onto Facebook after snowmobiling in the rolling hills of Michigan’s Northwoods, a video of his journey went viral in the “Official Wisconsin Snowmobile Enthusiast Club.”

Mecher has been snowmobiling for around six years, but used other family member’s snowmobiles and never had one of his own.

He recently bought a used 1990 Polaris Indy 500 snowmobile with the goal of fixing it up.

“A buddy of mine of selling it. It was kinda a fixer-upper,” Mecher said. “It just needed some simple repairs.”

Mecher had no problem fixing it, but turned to an idea he previously saw online to avoid the expensive cost of renting a trailer to haul it.

He built a support rack on top of his 2005 Chevy Malibu, using six straps and plywood, to carefully shift the snowmobile’s weight away from the middle of the car.

Mecher and his friend then rocked it back and forth to make sure it was sturdy and then went on a test run.

He went to work in Highland Park Friday, then took off to Bessemer for two days of snowmobiling. Snow was a foot and a half deep last weekend.

Mecher said he never felt for his safety, but remarked the most dangerous part was all of the cars speeding up to him on the highway to take pictures.

“That was the only thing that was dangerous,” Mecher said. “People trying to take pictures of me on the highway.”

He said no police officers stopped him on his journey, but he did “get a comedic double take” from a Highland Park officer.

“In gas alone I saved 100 bucks,” Mecher said.

According to U-Haul, a trailer used to haul something from the city to the Northwoods would range from $234 to $312.

Mecher left the snowmobile at his dad’s property in the Northwoods, but said he would absolutely haul it again on top of his Malibu. He hopes to be able to take it to the Rockies someday.

https://wgntv.com/2020/01/08/chicago-man-hauls-new-snowmobile-on-top-of-car-to-michigan-northwoods/?fbclid=IwAR3fjClirxD4TnxxhEgvua0KHQF0ostR42MLb8sYpL8JbPC7OzUvNLFPrT4

Just now, Skidooski said:

A die hard sledder doing what he has to do to ride  :bc: 

We rolled once in a mercury zephyr with a 2 place. It would only go like 40 up the Zilwaukee bridge. People were honking and flipping us off lolz.

2 minutes ago, Edmo said:

We rolled once in a mercury zephyr with a 2 place. It would only go like 40 up the Zilwaukee bridge. People were honking and flipping us off lolz.

:lol: But you made it though

I lived in Lakes of the North one winter and made the trip up in a shitbox car that kept loosing all power every 30 or 40 miles. Sit on the side of I75 for 20 minutes to let it cool down then go another 30 or 40 miles...repeat

• Haha 1

In an accident situation, or an emergency-braking maneuver, the sled would have broken free of those light tie-downs, and caused a secondary collision, possibly killing an innocent person. I would have stopped him, and had the vehicle ramp-trucked-off the highway, and given him a citation. Idiots have to be policed. 

3 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

In an accident situation, or an emergency-braking maneuver, the sled would have broken free of those light tie-downs, and caused a secondary collision, possibly killing an innocent person. I would have stopped him, and had the vehicle ramp-trucked-off the highway, and given him a citation. Idiots have to be policed. 

He wasn't in a shopping mall parking lot so you wouldn't have been able to do jack shit Paul Blart.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, frenchy said:

He wasn't in a shopping mall parking lot so you wouldn't have been able to do jack shit Paul Blart.

STFU, you faggot. You come down here and say that, and you'll see who's Paul Blart. 

1 hour ago, Polaris 550 said:

STFU, you faggot. You come down here and say that, and you'll see who's Paul Blart. 

MALL COP and a bad one at that !!!

This just demostrates the determination of the FIB snowmobiler. Here we have guys (from other faggot states)with new 2020 snowmobiles making excuses why they cant get out to ride and this lad here is loading his shit on the roof and making it happen. He doesnt take no for an answer and will adapt and overcome any obstacles. FIBS are what makes America great. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Polaris 550 said:

You'll get the same Maglite treatment as Frenchy, no MARFAK for you faggots!! 

Would you please stop fantasizing about man asses and meglights 

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

This just demostrates the determination of the FIB snowmobiler. Here we have guys (from other faggot states)with new 2020 snowmobiles making excuses why they cant get out to ride and this lad here is loading his shit on the roof and making it happen. He doesnt take no for an answer and will adapt and overcome any obstacles. FIBS are what makes America great. 

:lol: Week from today I'll be up in Brimley MI with my vintage 2010.5 and a week after that I'll be on Houghton Lake for Tip Up Town races with my antique 1998. If I had a brand new machine I'd be itching to ride that bitch every weekend. Hyfax and carbides are easy to change  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

:lol: Week from today I'll be up in Brimley MI with my vintage 2010.5 and a week after that I'll be on for Houghton LakeTip Up Town races with my antique 1998. If I had a brand new machine I'd be itching to ride that bitch every weekend. Hyfax and carbides are easy to change  

Is there ice?    

You used to be able to count on the ice around here to scratch the itch, a little.   2-3 " of rain and 50* this weekend . 

37 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

:lol: Week from today I'll be up in Brimley MI with my vintage 2010.5 and a week after that I'll be on Houghton Lake for Tip Up Town races with my antique 1998. If I had a brand new machine I'd be itching to ride that bitch every weekend. Hyfax and carbides are easy to change  

Ima shoot for next weekend but lets see how this weather plays out. I may have to go meet ben or give zammy some riding lessons. :bc: 

2 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Is there ice?    

You used to be able to count on the ice around here to scratch the itch, a little.   2-3 " of rain and 50* this weekend . 

A friend at work looked into it this morning and said it's looking good for TUT. He has a place booked near the lake same weekend for his sons 21st birthday so he's been a little leery. Storm coming through this weekend so they may even have a little snow too.

Not being able to test on my lake or Anchor Bay before heading up sucks since I changed everything from last season.

1 minute ago, Anler said:

Ima shoot for next weekend but lets see how this weather plays out. I may have to go meet ben or give zammy some riding lessons. :bc: 

First good storm on the year coming in this weekend..... hopefully it pans out  :bc: 

1 minute ago, Skidooski said:

A friend at work looked into it this morning and said it's looking good for TUT. He has a place booked near the lake same weekend for his sons 21st birthday so he's been a little leery. Storm coming through this weekend so they may even have a little snow too.

Not being able to test on my lake or Anchor Bay before heading up sucks since I changed everything from last season.

Good deal.   Haven’t been in years, but was  always a fun time. 

3 hours ago, Skidooski said:

CHICAGO — After deciding it would be more cost-effective, a Chicago man hauled his first-ever snowmobile over 400 miles on top of his Chevy Malibu.

Tommy Mecher, 22, of Jefferson Park, knew something could have been brewing on Facebook after his Jan. 3 trip to Bessemer, Michigan.

“I thought something was going to happen because there were people speeding down the highway trying to take pictures,” Mecher said.

Sure enough, when he logged onto Facebook after snowmobiling in the rolling hills of Michigan’s Northwoods, a video of his journey went viral in the “Official Wisconsin Snowmobile Enthusiast Club.”

Mecher has been snowmobiling for around six years, but used other family member’s snowmobiles and never had one of his own.

He recently bought a used 1990 Polaris Indy 500 snowmobile with the goal of fixing it up.

“A buddy of mine of selling it. It was kinda a fixer-upper,” Mecher said. “It just needed some simple repairs.”

Mecher had no problem fixing it, but turned to an idea he previously saw online to avoid the expensive cost of renting a trailer to haul it.

He built a support rack on top of his 2005 Chevy Malibu, using six straps and plywood, to carefully shift the snowmobile’s weight away from the middle of the car.

Mecher and his friend then rocked it back and forth to make sure it was sturdy and then went on a test run.

He went to work in Highland Park Friday, then took off to Bessemer for two days of snowmobiling. Snow was a foot and a half deep last weekend.

Mecher said he never felt for his safety, but remarked the most dangerous part was all of the cars speeding up to him on the highway to take pictures.

“That was the only thing that was dangerous,” Mecher said. “People trying to take pictures of me on the highway.”

He said no police officers stopped him on his journey, but he did “get a comedic double take” from a Highland Park officer.

“In gas alone I saved 100 bucks,” Mecher said.

According to U-Haul, a trailer used to haul something from the city to the Northwoods would range from $234 to $312.

Mecher left the snowmobile at his dad’s property in the Northwoods, but said he would absolutely haul it again on top of his Malibu. He hopes to be able to take it to the Rockies someday.

https://wgntv.com/2020/01/08/chicago-man-hauls-new-snowmobile-on-top-of-car-to-michigan-northwoods/?fbclid=IwAR3fjClirxD4TnxxhEgvua0KHQF0ostR42MLb8sYpL8JbPC7OzUvNLFPrT4

That was in FB a couple of days ago :lol:

2 hours ago, Edmo said:

:lol:

Buddy of mine had one of those in HS   Was in pretty good shape , but paint was faded.  He had it repainted and it was pretty decent (Ealr Scheib) Not even a month after it was done, he parked it in the street at another buddies house. He was parked directly across the street from the driveway and our buddies sister was late for work and in a hurry.  She backed out of the driveway really fast and slammed into the Zephyr with a Malibu station wagon. Malibu barely had any damage. Zephyr, fucking totaled :lol: :lmao:

59 minutes ago, Anler said:

Yea, that's it 🙄

48 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Itching to ride yes. Going out to intentionally ride in shit conditions, yea I'll pass 👎🏼

6 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Good deal.   Haven’t been in years, but was  always a fun time. 

To many drunks 

2 hours ago, Anler said:

Hell yeah!!!!’

• Haha 1