Check your account email address ×

An MRI scan costs $1,420 in America. It runs $450 in the UK

11 hours ago, f7ben said:

Drugs and technology etc etc. Its all subsidized by US costs

And many of the pharms and medical universities get billions in govt grants develop new drugs and medical tech and then stick the costs of those innovations up our ass again in the marketplace. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, f7ben said:

I'm a NHC proponent ....I certainly think we get raped. 

agreed,  we subsidize the world because we allow them to charge whatever they want.  

As far as wait times I've paid for my share of MRI's the last 4 years,  think we are up to 6 and never waited more than a few days but they can charge so much that there is a ton of non hospital MRI machines out there.  the ortho my son and wife went to has 2 and theres a couple of other ones around.  

End of the day the whole systems a scam with a rack rate that gets paid by no one but in many cases cut rate insurance companies negotiated rates are the same as someone who sets up a payment plan will get.  If we had real pricing people could make more informed decisions and cut their costs.  For the vast majority of the country they would be better served by a high deductible catastrophic plan and pay out of pocket for their normal care.  I think even if we moved to a form of UHC that the setup should be more that way.  I have no issue with people having to pay reasonable deductibles but when your policy is $20k a year on top of that between the employer/employee on top of 5-10k in deducs thats crazy.  Even with my sons ACL surgery the insurance company still made a "profit" on us that year.  60k rack rate was in the teens once insurance adjusted it.  

2 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

agreed,  we subsidize the world because we allow them to charge whatever they want.  

As far as wait times I've paid for my share of MRI's the last 4 years,  think we are up to 6 and never waited more than a few days but they can charge so much that there is a ton of non hospital MRI machines out there.  the ortho my son and wife went to has 2 and theres a couple of other ones around.  

End of the day the whole systems a scam with a rack rate that gets paid by no one but in many cases cut rate insurance companies negotiated rates are the same as someone who sets up a payment plan will get.  If we had real pricing people could make more informed decisions and cut their costs.  For the vast majority of the country they would be better served by a high deductible catastrophic plan and pay out of pocket for their normal care.  I think even if we moved to a form of UHC that the setup should be more that way.  I have no issue with people having to pay reasonable deductibles but when your policy is $20k a year on top of that between the employer/employee on top of 5-10k in deducs thats crazy.  Even with my sons ACL surgery the insurance company still made a "profit" on us that year.  60k rack rate was in the teens once insurance adjusted it.  

I wonder if Arctic Crusher the retard will take issue with your post?

• Platinum Contributing Member
47 minutes ago, jammin said:

Almost 180K for 2 stints, 1 night in icu and 1 night in a regular room.  Procedure took 50 min.  1K a month for meds.  

I'm no genius but how can any rational person look at these numbers and think "hey...sounds about right" 

• Like 3

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, f7ben said:

I think you and I know how this joint works....doesn't matter what is posted only who posted it. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I'm no genius but how can any rational person look at these numbers and think "hey...sounds about right" 

I was shocked when i saw the paperwork.  And to top it off there were two areas on the bill that just said miscellaneous. Those two items totaled over 40 Grand but have no clue what the fuck they were for. 

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

The only ones paying your drug prices are Americans, you aren't subsidizing anyone, you're just getting roped worse than others.

28K premuims with a large deduct, 

We pay through taxes and I pay multiples of what you pay.

3 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

The only ones paying your drug prices are Americans, you aren't subsidizing anyone, you're just getting roped worse than others.

28K premuims with a large deduct, 

We pay through taxes and I pay multiples of what you pay.

Derpy derp

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I think you and I know how this joint works....doesn't matter what is posted only who posted it. 

You think American taxpayers are subsidizing Canadian hospitals?

We negotiate pricing for our drugs, if your too expensive we go somewhere else.  We also use a lot generics, its too bad you are getting ripped off, gaped actually, but lets just leave it at that. 

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, jammin said:

Almost 180K for 2 stints, 1 night in icu and 1 night in a regular room.  Procedure took 50 min.  1K a month for meds.  

My mom had 2 stents put in a couple of years ago, was only about 55k hospital bills with 2 night stay. Ins covered 100%.

She was in ICU recently for 3 nights for possible stroke and she only had to pay $600 out of pocket on a 40k bill.

2 hours ago, jammin said:

Having a kidney out was about a 2-3 hour surgery and 3 days in the hospital.  Less then 80k, but probably closer to 100k with CT scans and follow-ups.  $6500 out of pocket for the year.

48 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

My mom had 2 stents put in a couple of years ago, was only about 55k hospital bills with 2 night stay. Ins covered 100%.

She was in ICU recently for 3 nights for possible stroke and she only had to pay $600 out of pocket on a 40k bill.

I'll post the bill when I get home later. Pretty sure there was a line for the procedure which was around 50,000 and another line for Hospital services that was around 70000 or so and 6 * 8 other lines with dollar values.   

EDIT: 

20191101_112213 (2).jpg

Edited by jammin

2 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

:lol: can't believe you and bhen got sucked in to this classic right wing fabricated talking point meant to scare people into maintaining the private HC status quo. :lol: 

25 minutes ago, frenchy said:

:lol: can't believe you and bhen got sucked in to this classic right wing fabricated talking point meant to scare people into maintaining the private HC status quo. :lol: 

It's the exact opposite. It's advocarion for nhc

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

It's the exact opposite. It's advocarion for nhc

that talking point was introduced by the right and parroted by right wing media outlets and radio/online talk show flunkies to scare people into thinking they'd either lose access to or have less choice in medication if UHC were introduced in America. There is not a single shred of evidence that proves this flawed argument. The fact you are pro UHC isn't really relevant. 

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, jammin said:

I'll post the bill when I get home later. Pretty sure there was a line for the procedure which was around 50,000 and another line for Hospital services that was around 70000 or so and 6 * 8 other lines with dollar values.   

EDIT: 

20191101_112213 (2).jpg

I wasn't doubting you. The funny part is you read the bills and see what is charged versus what ins actually pays. It boggles the mind the discounts they have with the hospitals. 

2 hours ago, frenchy said:

that talking point was introduced by the right and parroted by right wing media outlets and radio/online talk show flunkies to scare people into thinking they'd either lose access to or have less choice in medication if UHC were introduced in America. There is not a single shred of evidence that proves this flawed argument. The fact you are pro UHC isn't really relevant. 

yes because  US is the #1 user of medicines and the place were there is no control over what you can charge is meaningless to drug companies projections.  SMH

26 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

yes because  US is the #1 user of medicines and the place were there is no control over what you can charge is meaningless to drug companies projections.  SMH

It's like hes willfully ignorant 

3 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I wasn't doubting you. The funny part is you read the bills and see what is charged versus what ins actually pays. It boggles the mind the discounts they have with the hospitals. 

Didn't think you were buddy. :bc: