Check your account email address ×

Trump is getting played by China on trade

Another fail.....

Trump is getting played by China on trade

By Josh Rogin 

The Trump administration seems to have reached terms with Beijing over a “Phase One” China trade deal, which President Trump will surely tout as a victory for himself and the United States. But if the president strikes the deal on the terms being reported, he will actually be making a huge concession to Beijing that achieves few U.S. goals and is so bad that even Trump will have trouble spinning it as a political win. 

Thursday afternoon, several media outlets reported that the United States and China have agreed to a limited, interim trade deal that will surely boost markets in the short term and provide a temporary de-escalation of the U.S.-China trade war. For more than two months, sources briefed on the negotiations told me, the two sides had been stuck. The Trump administration wanted to freeze tariffs in exchange for Beijing agreeing to purchase more U.S. agricultural products and granting more market access for U.S. financial firms. But China wouldn’t sign off, demanding the White House sweeten the pot by offering substantial tariff rollbacks as well. 

On Thursday, the Wall Street Journal reported the Trump team caved on that huge point. If true, the result would be a deal that immediately relieves major pressure on the Chinese economy in exchange for future promises the Chinese side may never fulfill. Beijing’s concessions also don’t address the bulk of the structural issues and abuses that make Chinese economic aggression a long-term threat to the U.S. economy. 

Of course, we know that no Trump decision is final until he announces it. He could still reject what his officials have brought him. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/trump-is-getting-played-by-china-on-trade/2019/12/12/a8381362-1d2d-11ea-b4c1-fd0d91b60d9e_story.html

My question brings us back to Hunter biden.   What Did China get on the second stop of the Joe Biden tour for dollars back when Obama was in office?  If Hunter got his sweet heart deal for Joe stepping in and getting the investigation canceled on Barrisma what did China get for the Billion dollar deal with Hunters firm?  

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

My question brings us back to Hunter biden.   What Did China get on the second stop of the Joe Biden tour for dollars back when Obama was in office?  If Hunter got his sweet heart deal for Joe stepping in and getting the investigation canceled on Barrisma what did China get for the Billion dollar deal with Hunters firm?  

Interesting

7 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Opinion column, the last great truth. :lol:

Nowadays anything from WaPo or NYT, count on the bias.  Anything from CNN, MSNBC, CBS, NBC, ABC, NPR, Huffpo count on the bias.  My local paper has gone off the deep end editorially.  Some of the letters to them show how disgusted the readers are with the one sided opinions.  Give me both sides and let me decide.  I’ve decided.

• Haha 1