Check your account email address ×

Carrying Bags and fuel on a ZR

• Platinum Contributing Member

I'm looking to do more saddle bagging in the next couple years. The wife rides a '12 Vector short track and I have a '15 ZR 129. The Vector is limited to a set of bags which she has. I'm thinking we need to carry some backup fuel on my ZR and after looking around, I'm thinking the Linq stuff from Doo is likely the way to go. Both of us will be upgrading sleds again soon (her first and likely to a Doo 900, then me and currently thinking Doo Turbo but you never know).

So my understanding is I'll need the adapter plate from Up North Technologies then I can buy the stackable fuel cell and trunk from Doo.

https://upnorthtechnologies.com/shop/snowmobile-accessories/stand-alone-LINQ-adapter-bracket-systems/pro-series-stand-alone-linq-adapter-bracket-kit/

Not a cheap set up but if it does what I need for now and then is adaptable in the future, I think its the best choice.

Thoughts? Maybe I'm not seeing everything that is out there.

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I'm looking to do more saddle bagging in the next couple years. The wife rides a '12 Vector short track and I have a '15 ZR 129. The Vector is limited to a set of bags which she has. I'm thinking we need to carry some backup fuel on my ZR and after looking around, I'm thinking the Linq stuff from Doo is likely the way to go. Both of us will be upgrading sleds again soon (her first and likely to a Doo 900, then me and currently thinking Doo Turbo but you never know).

So my understanding is I'll need the adapter plate from Up North Technologies then I can buy the stackable fuel cell and trunk from Doo.

https://upnorthtechnologies.com/shop/snowmobile-accessories/stand-alone-LINQ-adapter-bracket-systems/pro-series-stand-alone-linq-adapter-bracket-kit/

Not a cheap set up but if it does what I need for now and then is adaptable in the future, I think its the best choice.

Thoughts? Maybe I'm not seeing everything that is out there.

I have that Dual, on both my cat and poo.  Very happy with it.

• Thanks 1

I have one on my 2020 MXZ XRS.  You aren't going to get anything better than that.  And the LinQ bags and fuel are 2nd to none. 

Owner is super cool. I've talked to him a couple of times.  Once before ordering and after via email when some dick bag on FB asked me if I'd trace the template for him so he could make his own.  I figure the owner should know about that.  Guy blocked me on FB but I was able to screen shot the messages. Hate dickheads like that who try and steal other people's designs.  It's already happens to 2 people I know 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

I have one on my 2020 MXZ XRS.  You aren't going to get anything better than that.  And the LinQ bags and fuel are 2nd to none. 

Owner is super cool. I've talked to him a couple of times.  Once before ordering and after via email when some dick bag on FB asked me if I'd trace the template for him so he could make his own.  I figure the owner should know about that.  Guy blocked me on FB but I was able to screen shot the messages. Hate dickheads like that who try and steal other people's designs.  It's already happens to 2 people I know 

Yeah that ain't cool at all. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

scumbags.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Yup.  I chatted with the owner when he was designing the dual adapter plate for the Indy xc 129

Yes, they make a dual for the Indy 129 but only a single for the Cat from what I see. Kinda sucks that I will pay about $275 for that plate them let it go with the sled a year from now but what can you do?

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, they make a dual for the Indy 129 but only a single for the Cat from what I see. Kinda sucks that I will pay about $275 for that plate them let it go with the sled a year from now but what can you do?

The cat saddlebags I had were really nice and hold a ton of shit. Then get the single plate and a fuel caddy.

Edited by Reevester

3 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Is gas in the area you ride that far apart?

Locally no, but in the north its getting farther from station to station, some spots are a 110-120 mile run. It also makes the old gal less nervous if she knows we have a back up plan.

She ran out of gas one night in the middle of a lake while I rode off into the distance (couldn't hear her in the communicators) and she's never let me forget it. "The wolves were coming to eat her" in her words. I must admit, when your headlight goes out in the middle of a lake at night, its a bit spooky.......lol

• Like 1

Just now, Blackstar said:

Locally no, but in the north its getting farther from station to station, some spots are a 110-120 mile run. It also makes the old gal less nervous if she knows we have a back up plan.

She ran out of gas one night in the middle of a lake while I rode off into the distance (couldn't hear her in the communicators) and she's never let me forget it. "The wolves were coming to eat her" in her words. I must admit, when your headlight goes out in the middle of a lake at night, its a bit spooky.......lol

A bud of mine dropped back one night and went the wrong way at a turn. Wasn't till a few more miles before I stopped and did the count. When I went back for him he said " Ive never so so alone in my entire life"

2 minutes ago, Reevester said:

The cat saddlebags I had were really nice and hold a ton of shit. Then get the single plate and a fuel caddy.

This is my thinking. I have the bags for mine and hers. I have the big Cat tunnel bag too but I assume the LinQ take up the same space. Probably have to go back to the stock tunnel bag.

7 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

There's cheaper singles.

https://www.southsimcoemachine.com/shop-online/ski-doo-linq-adaptor-clear-anodized-fb8ag-nfmzn

4 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Wow, that's a lot cheaper. And they are just in Tottenham.

7 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

This is my thinking. I have the bags for mine and hers. I have the big Cat tunnel bag too but I assume the LinQ take up the same space. Probably have to go back to the stock tunnel bag.

I see some for good deals occasionally. Think I paid 225 for mine years ago.

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Wow, that's a lot cheaper. And they are just in Tottenham.

Guys makes quality products and are easy to deal with. 

1 minute ago, Reevester said:

I see some for good deals occasionally. Think I paid 225 for mine years ago.

Guys makes quality products and are easy to deal with. 

Di's son lives in Alliston and tomorrow is my birthday. A plan is forming.....lol

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Reevester said:

Nice! We have a ride planned for March 7-8th with a few members and some American friends hopefully. RAP tour if the weather is good. You sound join us if it happens. 

Those Americans plan on getting you drunk and doing the butt stuff  to you. Consider yourself warned.:snack:

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

You should never really take a procross chassis cat too far from the beaten path so it's not ideal for saddlebagging anyways

:lol:

No curbs where I ride.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Reevester said:

Nice! We have a ride planned for March 7-8th with a few members and some American friends hopefully. RAP tour if the weather is good. You sound join us if it happens. 

I'd be in for that. I'm supposed to have free time this winter as I hired someone to drive my truck (as long as he shows up).

11 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I'd be in for that. I'm supposed to have free time this winter as I hired someone to drive my truck (as long as he shows up).

Hopefully they do. :bc:

11 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

But your still Canadian? :lol:

So what that means if they try and get me drunk they'll pass out first? :lol:

• Haha 1