Check your account email address ×

ArCtIc CaT nEeDs A nEw ChAsSiS

Rod

29 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

you go to a forest service lot on the eastern side of the rockies there are more times than not more Mn WI Iowa MI Plates than locals . 

For their once a year BIG TRIP 

23 minutes ago, Legend said:

Good stuff. 

I don't think there's any doubt the UP is NOT a tiny slice of the market. Its the only place in the midwest with consistent snow yearly. Its still a big market.

I'd bet $$$ West Yellowstone itself has more rentals than the entire UP. 

People that ride 2.5" paddles on trails at 75mph for 100 miles deserve to have their lugs rip off. 

I don't know if the actual mtn riders market is bigger than the trail market (wannabes with 174" in the UP along with trail sleds), but its clear where the manufacturers are spending the money, the mtn sled market. 

I meet a lot of people from the midwest in the mtns, there's a company out of MI that hauls people and their sleds out to the mtns for a week long trip twice a month or more during the season. And they are expanding every year. They can haul like 20+ people a trip. Converted toter home semi and trailer, with overflow vans and trailers as well. 

Anyone who thinks the UP is a tiny portion of the industry is an idiot, or trying to troll way hard. 

IDK about that.  There's a a lot of rental places in the UP.

3 minutes ago, Legend said:

I bet it is. 

It was cheap enough for a trip though. IIRC it was $1K to go to Cooke. Only thing we needed besides our gear and sleds was whatever we wanted to take with us for lunch on the hill and gas for our own sleds. We paid an extra hundo to take a spare sled along. 

I have been to cook a few times . I really want to ride out of redlodge with a local who knows a how to get up and over to cook  . not many ride out of red lodge  just locals I guess . cut a ez 4 or 5 off the drive 

3 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

Anyone who thinks the UP is a tiny portion of the industry is an idiot, or trying to troll way hard. 

it is what it is in the numbers sold world wide year after year you really think the numbers used in the UP top 20% 

Just now, Ez ryder said:

I have been to cook a few times . I really want to ride out of redlodge with a local who knows a how to get up and over to cook  . not many ride out of red lodge  just locals I guess . cut a ez 4 or 5 off the drive 

You will need to carry gas to make it from Red Lodge to Cooke. We go from Cooke to Top of the World, which is less than half way to Red Lodge and am sucking fumes on way back. 

You cant make it all the way to Cooke from the East in winter. All roads are closed. But you can make it to a parking area 8-10 miles from Cooke. But it only cuts off 2 hrs driving time, and if its snowing it will be longer. Those roads are the last to get plowed. 

7 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

I honestly have no clue how many rentals there is in da UP. 

But there is hundreds just in West Yellowstone. West Yellowstone is a tourist trap type place for sledders. Ive stayed there once. Last time I do that.

2 minutes ago, Legend said:

You will need to carry gas to make it from Red Lodge to Cooke. We go from Cooke to Top of the World, which is less than half way to Red Lodge and am sucking fumes on way back. 

You cant make it all the way to Cooke from the East in winter. All roads are closed. But you can make it to a parking area 8-10 miles from Cooke. But it only cuts off 2 hrs driving time, and if its snowing it will be longer. Those roads are the last to get plowed. 

I know the foesrt service lot I have checked it out it in summer .

gas is a must . it can be done I talked with a red lodge local a few times in CO . he said they did it from time to time  said there is some epic play spots with almost no trafic pretty much just locals . there is a lodge close to where they stop plowing open all year also .

on the list and can't understand how a town with 2 bars and a shitty motel 6 attracts more attention than red lodge . well I get why but not why red is not marketing it self .

7 minutes ago, Legend said:

I honestly have no clue how many rentals there is in da UP. 

But there is hundreds just in West Yellowstone. West Yellowstone is a tourist trap type place for sledders. Ive stayed there once. Last time I do that.

Hundreds of rental places or hundreds of rental sleds? 

2 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

I know the foesrt service lot I have checked it out it in summer .

gas is a must . it can be done I talked with a red lodge local a few times in CO . he said they did it from time to time  said there is some epic play spots with almost no trafic pretty much just locals . there is a lodge close to where they stop plowing open all year also .

on the list and can't understand how a town with 2 bars and a shitty motel 6 attracts more attention than red lodge . well I get why but not why red is not marketing it self .

Yeah marketing. Hippie central in summer for the greenies going into Yellowstone park. 

Just now, Legend said:

hundreds of rental sleds.

Yea that's what I figured.  I had to stop a get a rental for a buddy last year at a place in Newberry. They had 50+ sleds alone at this ONE rental place.  There's multiple rental places in Newberry.  Not to mention the 25 or more other sled rental places in the UP. 

4 minutes ago, Legend said:

Yeah marketing. Hippie central in summer for the greenies going into Yellowstone park. 

and bikers hitting the beartooth .

I actualy like the town it has that hippie vibe but also not dumpy like a lot of the small mountain towns you know like the one on tbe other end of the beartooth .

I don't get how a town so close to the entrance of the park is not more pimped out  

4 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

Yea that's what I figured.  I had to stop a get a rental for a buddy last year at a place in Newberry. They had 50+ sleds alone at this ONE rental place.  There's multiple rental places in Newberry.  Not to mention the 25 or more other sled rental places in the UP. 

Well, maybe I would have lost that bet then. :ashamed:

8 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

that is 1 town . there is a rental shop or 3 in every mountain town with a nat forest near by so almost every one . it is not a small market .the flooded market of for sale yr old mountain rentals is one of the reasons a 1 yr old mountain sled is worth 1/2 what you have for it 

Edited by Ez ryder

3 minutes ago, Legend said:

Well, maybe I would have lost that bet then. :ashamed:

Yea for sure :lol:

1 minute ago, Ez ryder said:

that is 1 town . there is a rental shop or 3 in every mountain town with a nat forest near by so almost every one . it is not a small market .the flooded market of mountain rentals is one of the reasons a 1 yr old mountain sled is worth 1/2 what you have for it 

They still don't have as many rentals in Yellowstone as the UP 

16 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

Yea for sure :lol:

They still don't have as many rentals in Yellowstone as the UP 

And that is a bad thing????   I feel sorry for you poor guys back East.

Shit, 20 minutes to 3 sno-parks from my house (if I can't just leave from the house).  Rarely more than a couple hundred sleds on the 250+ miles of maintained trails we have in our area, which is linked to a few other areas that also have a shit ton of trails.  But riding trails sucks BALLS when there are 200,000+ acres of open, ridable, off trail forest in our little area alone.  I can ride places where you don't see, and sometimes don't even hear another sled (even if he has a can) for the whole day. :taunt:  

4 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

again yellowstone is 1 town  do you think yellowstone is the only town to ride out of in the West? 

You've probably never made it past Gogebic, yet you think you know the entire UP. 

3 minutes ago, Mikeadoo said:

And that is a bad thing????   I feel sorry for you poor guys back East.

Shit, 20 minutes to 3 sno-parks from my house (if I can't just leave from the house).  Rarely more than a couple hundred sleds on the 250+ miles of maintained trails we have in our area, which is linked to a few other areas that also have a shit ton of trails.  But riding trails sucks BALLS when there are 200,000+ acres of open, ridable, off trail forest in our little area alone.  I can ride places where you don't see, and sometimes don't even hear another sled (even if he has a can) for the whole day. :taunt:  

We have many many hundreds of miles of groomed trails in Michigan.  Trail riding may not be your thing. Off trail isn't mine. I'd rather take up golf or ice fishing if they closed all the trails here in Michigan.

Ride, get stuck, dig for a 1/2 hour, rest for 15 minutes. Get stuck again digging your buddy out. Dig for another 1/2 hour, Rest again. Ride for 10 more minutes, dig for another half hour. Wash , rinse , repeat.  Ain't my idea of fun. 

13 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

You've probably never made it past Gogebic, yet you think you know the entire UP. 

We have many many hundreds of miles of groomed trails in Michigan.  Trail riding may not be your thing. Off trail isn't mine. I'd rather take up golf or ice fishing if they closed all the trails here in Michigan.

Ride, get stuck, dig for a 1/2 hour, rest for 15 minutes. Get stuck again digging your buddy out. Dig for another 1/2 hour, Rest again. Ride for 10 more minutes, dig for another half hour. Wash , rinse , repeat.  Ain't my idea of fun. 

If thats they way it is, I wouldn't ride off trail either. 

Its a lot more than just getting stuck. 

I honestly never thought I would be a "mtn rider". But I went a few times and loved it. 

Im not going to get into the whole which style of riding is better BS. It just doesn't matter to me what others do. But I do get a laugh out of the guys riding full on RMKs, Summits, and M sleds on the trails all day in the UP. But hey, if thats fun to them, then giver. 

58 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

they didn't total the phazer :dunno:  

I totalled 2 sleds that days and that was over 7 years ago I think

Edit.....

Guess it was 6 years ago

Edited by f7ben