Check your account email address ×

Time for a new tv

9 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Dont overlook the TCL. Their 4k smart tv’s are very good for well under $500. I’ve owned the very best tv’s from Mitsubishi, Sony and Samsung. I paid $6800 for my first HDTV from Mits.  You dont need a better tv than the TCL. 

Thanks, Tom. I will have to look into things further but I know, or think I know, prices up here are likely a lot more expensive? 

1 hour ago, Kev144 said:

Yep better to get the manu that has better os support for the future.  I bet in a few years the tcl and visio apps won't work as they don't update much to support newer version apps which stuff like netflix etc require.  Then it's just a regular tv at that point.  

Good points. My wife was looking recently at Costco and said she seen some real good deals. I wasn't interested at the time so I have no idea what a good deal is anymore? 

When is Black Friday? Is it this coming one or at the end of the month? 

Here's some, but I have to figure out what size to go with. I think a 65" where she wants it is too big? 

https://www.costco.ca/4k-tvs.html?screen-size-class=65-in&refine=ads_f142568_ntk_cs%3A%2265%2Bin.%22|

11 hours ago, irv said:

My wife's been hinting about one for a while now so that's likely what I'll get her for Christmas. She wants a 55" I believe and a Smart T.V. so she can watch the video of the music she is listening too. I also think it would be great to use a laptop and have the T.V. become the screen. I've been out of the loop for years, or when we bought our Sony Bravia about 10 yrs ago so I have some educating to do, which this thread is helping with.

A droid based tv would have more apps for better integration.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Kev144 said:

Yep better to get the manu that has better os support for the future.  I bet in a few years the tcl and visio apps won't work as they don't update much to support newer version apps which stuff like netflix etc require.  Then it's just a regular tv at that point.  

again go read about the company they are not small potatoes and are investing extremely heavy in to it . not trying to push anyone to go one way or the other but I was pretty surprised what I found out about TCL.  

30 minutes ago, irv said:

Thanks, Tom. I will have to look into things further but I know, or think I know, prices up here are likely a lot more expensive? 

Good points. My wife was looking recently at Costco and said she seen some real good deals. I wasn't interested at the time so I have no idea what a good deal is anymore? 

Here's some, but I have to figure out what size to go with. I think a 65" where she wants it is too big? 

https://www.costco.ca/4k-tvs.html?screen-size-class=65-in&refine=ads_f142568_ntk_cs%3A%2265%2Bin.%22|

Here it's the 29th.

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
7 hours ago, irv said:

I bought a 55 this summer (wish I gone 60). When comparing prices I found Best Buy, Costco and just about anybody that sold them were within $20-30 of each other when shopping model for model. They make it tough as Costco and Best Buy will often have the exact same TV but with different model numbers.

TV's are virtually on sale all the time. Kind of a scam.

The fantastic Black Friday deals always seem to have the fine print somewhere that says "While quantities last". And they have 1 or 2 in each store.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

They were a good TV at one time, I had a couple, now not so much.

I just helped my parents buy one last week. The one they got had a way better picture than the Samsung they looked at. And the reviews were good.

4 minutes ago, rump-rider said:

I just helped my parents buy one last week. The one they got had a way better picture than the Samsung they looked at. And the reviews were good.

Sold a few years ago to the Chinese 

7 minutes ago, rump-rider said:

One I had was so-so, the other one puked in 3 years, after that I said no more..The good was a long time ago, a Trinatron(sp)

The Samsung's SUHD are a much better pic then the Sony's we looked at.

Edited by XCR1250

Well on hold till I read a little more. 

Seems all the 5 star reviews are from people who only owned them for less then 3 months. After that it dosnt seem so pretty.

lines, snowey, sound stopped working ect.

On 11/19/2019 at 10:03 AM, steve from amherst said:

Im thinking the same

You definitely don't want anything smaller than 60"  

I wish I would have went bigger than a 65" for the great room, but I got such a smoking deal on it I couldn't pass it up. 

29 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

You definitely don't want anything smaller than 60"  

I wish I would have went bigger than a 65" for the great room, but I got such a smoking deal on it I couldn't pass it up. 

What is it? How long have you had it? Any issues so far?

20 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

What is it? How long have you had it? Any issues so far?

Check this out, and read the review comments too,  doesn't sound too bad to me.  70" TV 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-70-Class-4K-UHD-2160P-HDR-Roku-Smart-LED-TV-RTRU7027-US/463272381?irgwc=1&sourceid=imp_ShRS3v0KPxyOWXEwUx0Mo38QUkn1KDR-8Rviwo0&veh=aff&wmlspartner=imp_159047&clickid=ShRS3v0KPxyOWXEwUx0Mo38QUkn1KDR-8Rviwo0

Just a FYI boys. Power supplies go in many flat screens today. You can easily change them out for less than 50 bucks. We had 5 32” Vizeo flats around our plant for security monitoring. When one stopped I did some research and found a video how to on YouTube. It took less than 30 minutes to replace.