Check your account email address ×

Republican Senator Proposes Taxing College Athletic Scholarships

• Platinum Contributing Member

Athletic Scolarships are apparently already taxed somewhat..any portion used for room and board is considered taxable income.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/29/richard-burr-proposes-taxing-scholarships-of-student-athletes-who-cash-in.html

Just now, steve from amherst said:

any portion used for room and board is considered taxable income.

I never knew that

Neither did I and I guess he doesn't like the fact that athletes could soon be able to profit off their likeness and name.

Whatever happens, Our illustrious education system should be able to exploit these talented athletes by giving them scraps....until they get injured then...off the bus they go!

What a load.  These athletes should be able to get agents and sign on to the best deal.  Come on already.

1 minute ago, Anler said:

Tax tax tax!

because of spend spend spend!

I never knew till my son got hurt in football this year, that the school insurance will pick up the tab on whatever medical bills come about that your own health insurance won't pay for.

Wondering what that policy costs the schools to have every year?  With all the sports programs, there's a lot of athletes involved, i'm thinking it's pretty costly. :dunno:

2 minutes ago, hayward said:

I never knew till my son got hurt in football this year, that the school insurance will pick up the tab on whatever medical bills come about that your own health insurance won't pay for.

Wondering what that policy costs the schools to have every year?  With all the sports programs, there's a lot of athletes involved, i'm thinking it's pretty costly. :dunno:

Oh I bet it is. 

44 minutes ago, hayward said:

wish HS was that way.  

17 minutes ago, racer254 said:

It's called "the swamp" Spend spend spend

Not sure WTF you are babbling about but the jagoff proposing this tax is a Republican who I'm constantly told are the party of less taxes.

8 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

yes paid almost 20 grand for 3 torn ACL's from high school basketball, football and track

This is high school here that i'm talking about.  They claim to pick up whatever my health insurance won't cover.  I wonder why yours was different?

Next wednesday is arthroscopic labrum fix.  Gonna be a long miserable 6 months of recovery, as he's gonna miss baseball season in the spring.:flush:

I told him clothesline tackles don't work.

12 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Not sure WTF you are babbling about but the jagoff proposing this tax is a Republican who I'm constantly told are the party of less taxes.

This is not a party issue.  He has been in DC since 95, do you get it now?

Just now, racer254 said:

This is not a party issue.  He has been in DC since 95, do you get it now?

I get it just fine but all I hear around here is that Democrats want to take everybody's money via taxes and Republicans don't...do you fucking get it now? 

2 hours ago, hayward said:

prob depends on the school .

I bet schools like UofM or university of san fran or oxford ect ect with a top notch medical facility can just self insure 

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I get it just fine but all I hear around here is that Democrats want to take everybody's money via taxes and Republicans don't...do you fucking get it now? 

You still can't figure out why Trump was elected?  How about the teaparty?  Do you have any idea as to what group of voters are pushing for both? 

• Gold Member

I wish college tuiton was tax deductible or had some credits.  Bunch a bullshit that taxed income is used to pay for college and there is no benefit tax wise.  Scholarships should be taxed at least as income

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

I wish college tuiton was tax deductible or had some credits.  Bunch a bullshit that taxed income is used to pay for college and there is no benefit tax wise.  Scholarships should be taxed at least as income

Tuition should be tax deductible.

7 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Tuition should be tax deductible.

It is, up to 4K :lol:  

Under current IRS rules, all tuition and education-related fees are tax-deductible, up to $4,000. ... However, this deduction is for taxpayers with a modified adjusted gross income of $80,000 annually — or $160,000 when married and filing jointly.Jun 28, 2018

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, BOHICA said:

thats why i am paying for my kids college from a 529 not cash flow or investment accounts.  at least i got tax benefits.  

12 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

thats why i am paying for my kids college from a 529 not cash flow or investment accounts.  at least i got tax benefits.  

Our 529's for the kids KILLED it in the markets.   Unreal the gains they had.   If investing for kids college its completely retarded not taking advantage of these tax saving plans.