Check your account email address ×

OK , who are the sparkies ( electricians) in here

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Woodtick said:

You basically have the voltage but it won’t hold any current. The contact is bad. It’s basically like a bad or loose connection.

I know after fucking with it the wire is toast. I guess I just don't understand how a toast wire can carry fake current.

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

I know after fucking with it the wire is toast. I guess I just don't understand how a toast wire can carry fake current.

If its a bad wire/contact it's not transient voltage. That's two different things

Just now, steve from amherst said:

The wire is cut or smashed somewhere. The heat of the current opens it up completely when there is a load. When there isn’t a load on it,you will or can read voltage. A ohm test or megging it can help determine the condition of the wire.

6 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

It’s showing voltage,but won’t hold current.

Just now, Woodtick said:

The wire is cut or smashed somewhere. The heat of the current opens it up completely when there is a load. When there isn’t a load on it,you will or can read voltage. A ohm test or megging it can help determine the condition of the wire.

Thing was kicking my ass. I even traced the wire and couldn't find a break. Replacing will suck hard as it runs a ways and drops over 4 plateu's

Just now, Woodtick said:

It’s showing voltage,but won’t hold current.

yep. Just something I have never run into before. I have seen 10 v and found bad common ( neutral ) or field wire . Just have never seen operating v and then nothing. How common is it in other trades?

1 minute ago, Woodtick said:

Bad solder joints reek Havok on measurements.

Good thing we put Farrell's on all our panel wiring ends to prevent beta connections in terminal blocks.

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

Thing was kicking my ass. I even traced the wire and couldn't find a break. Replacing will suck hard as it runs a ways and drops over 4 plateu's

Just now, steve from amherst said:

yep. Just something I have never run into before. I have seen 10 v and found bad common ( neutral ) or field wire . Just have never seen operating v and then nothing. How common is it in other trades?

I do HVAC and it happens all of the time with low voltage. Higher voltage will blow the bad section of wire apart.

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Bad solder joints reek Havok on measurements.

Good thing we put Farrell's on all our panel wiring ends to prevent beta connections in terminal blocks.

Long 18 or 22 gage wire runs can also be a problem with voltage drop.

6 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Lots of mV signals T/C's, load cells, 500' max but preferr much closer.  Modern offerings make that a breeze.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woodtick said:

Ours is 18. I believe around 880 ft is our max. We can bring it to a little over 1000 by doubling the neutral.

• Like 1