Check your account email address ×

EV idiots

“A refurb program is needed to help owners who were affected by Gen 1 vehicles,” Kan-ade said. “I believe that these early battery failures are part of a learning curve that was passed on to the consumer. Nissan offered a battery replacement program for $5,500, but unfortunately they quietly raised the price to $8,500.”

Despite Nissan being among the first automakers to confront these issues, it is not the only one that has to confront them. Other automakers are facing similar problems stemming from hybrid cars, and we’re just a few years away from a glut of all-electric Teslas coping with an identical plight — followed swiftly by every other automaker that decided to build BEVs at scale.

Among the biggest concerns is resale value. With no refurb solution, owners will essentially be forced to throw a car onto the secondhand market needing thousands in repairs. Sure, they could foot the bill themselves, but why bother replacing the most expensive component in your vehicle just to sell it? Likewise, why would the average used-car buyer choose to spend the cash when they’re already in search of a bargain?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Snake said:

“A refurb program is needed to help owners who were affected by Gen 1 vehicles,” Kan-ade said. “I believe that these early battery failures are part of a learning curve that was passed on to the consumer. Nissan offered a battery replacement program for $5,500, but unfortunately they quietly raised the price to $8,500.”

Despite Nissan being among the first automakers to confront these issues, it is not the only one that has to confront them. Other automakers are facing similar problems stemming from hybrid cars, and we’re just a few years away from a glut of all-electric Teslas coping with an identical plight — followed swiftly by every other automaker that decided to build BEVs at scale.

Among the biggest concerns is resale value. With no refurb solution, owners will essentially be forced to throw a car onto the secondhand market needing thousands in repairs. Sure, they could foot the bill themselves, but why bother replacing the most expensive component in your vehicle just to sell it? Likewise, why would the average used-car buyer choose to spend the cash when they’re already in search of a bargain?

Maybe someone should start a battery store and franchise it like Pep Boys or NTB?

1 minute ago, Momorider said:

They work fine for metropolitan area Teslas have a decent range even :guzzle:

Not nearly enough battery material in the world to do it large scale 

There was a time where Musk proposed if you didn't have time to wait having the ability to swap battery packs,  I would think at some point it will get there and I'd bet 90% of the population would be served fine by an EV even without that.  Tesla degredation seems to be minimal although we haven't seen long term numbers on the 3 which is a different system than the S

30 minutes ago, Rapid Anus said:

Not nearly enough battery material in the world to do it large scale 

Yah they can mine dumps and synthesize stuff and use alternative materials. A tesla is like you buying 300 laptops so no big deal  :)

2 minutes ago, Momorider said:

Yah they can mine dumps and synthesize stuff and use alternative materials. A tesla is like you buying 300 laptops so no big deal  :)

It can’t even come close to being done 

6 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

There was a time where Musk proposed if you didn't have time to wait having the ability to swap battery packs,  I would think at some point it will get there and I'd bet 90% of the population would be served fine by an EV even without that.  Tesla degredation seems to be minimal although we haven't seen long term numbers on the 3 which is a different system than the S

There are a few guys on YouTube that have put high miles on a fleet of Tesla's that are used in some sort of delivery business. I think he has one or two that are close to 200k.

I'm kind of sad that Hydrogen fuel cells never caught on which are basically a chemical battery that you can refuel :news: the big issue is the energy density which is not as good as gasoline but nothing ever will be as good as gas :bc:

6 minutes ago, Momorider said:

I'm kind of sad that Hydrogen fuel cells never caught on which are basically a chemical battery that you can refuel :news: the big issue is the energy density which is not as good as gasoline but nothing ever will be as good as gas :bc:

They are just not that great in a car. Fuel cells have caught on but on more of a commercial level. Instead of hydrogen they tend to use natural gas but they are becoming more prevelent.

1 minute ago, Carlos Danger said:

They are just not that great in a car. Fuel cells have caught on but on more of a commercial level. Instead of hydrogen they tend to use natural gas but they are becoming more prevelent.

Have to use hydrogen not some hydrocarbon to get the environmental benefits of a clean burn. But it is a tad unstable when you think of the Hindenburg  :guzzle:

3 minutes ago, Momorider said:

Have to use hydrogen not some hydrocarbon to get the environmental benefits of a clean burn. But it is a tad unstable when you think of the Hindenburg  :guzzle:

The real advantage of the fuel cell in an industrial setting is ability to be throttled up and down quickly with load demands. They are still considered low to no emmission cause you basically just get water out of them.

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

Maybe someone should start a battery store and franchise it like Pep Boys or NTB?

Doesn't solve the issue at hand.   The costs will still be extremely high.  

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Doesn't solve the issue at hand.   The costs will still be extremely high.  

Tesla went a long way last year with their acquisition of Maxwell techs in the pursuit of a cheaper better battery. Maxwell's dry film battery tech takes much of the cost and short comings out of the way Tesla's cells are currently made.

One of our new apprentice is a former Tesla tech. He said big miles are being put on them and very few failures. What separates Tesla from the rest,is how they keep the battery cool. He has a Honda Insight hybrid with over 200k on it. He rebuilt the battery himself for under a grand he said?