Check your account email address ×

China Halts U.S. Agriculture Purchases as Trade War Heats Up

China Halts U.S. Agriculture Purchases as Trade War Heats Up

Source: Bloomberg News

China is stepping away from further U.S. farm imports and said it doesn’t rule out more tariffs after President Donald Trump ratcheted up tensions with its biggest agricultural trading partner last week. 

The Chinese government has asked its state-owned enterprises to suspend purchases of U.S. agricultural products, people familiar with the situation said. Also, privately run Chinese crushers that had received retaliatory-tariff waivers on American soybeans from Beijing have stopped buying the commodity due to uncertainty over trade relations, other people said. 

Chinese buyers have turned to South American soybeans and the Asian nation said it doesn’t rule out for now taxing American agricultural goods that were traded after Aug. 3, the Commerce Ministry said in a statement on its website. The ministry also confirmed relevant Chinese firms have stopped purchasing American agricultural goods.

Read more: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-05/china-asked-state-buyers-to-halt-u-s-agriculture-imports

First they agree to buy more now this. 

3 hours ago, Edmo said:

Best point - the Chinese will not sign anything that makes them responsible and accountable.

None of the agreements we’ve had with them to date have done these things - and they snake out of them every time. 

Fuck China.

3 minutes ago, Edmo said:

First they agree to buy more now this. 

Fuck China.

They’ve officially (and finally) been labeled a currency manipulator.  Our fed will respond in kind.  China’s 13 cents vs the dollar plus, eliminating their US imports will punish their interior.  They can stand to shed a few dozen million to starvation....and will do so.

Their only chance to win is if a Dem is elected in 2020.  That’s what they are now counting on.  Nobody needs Biden more than China right now.  

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Their only chance to win is if a Dem is elected in 2020.  That’s what they are now counting on.  Nobody needs Biden more than China right now.  

They’ve been eating our lunch for too long. That would be a shame if that happened. I fully support putting a full court press on and keeping it on.

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

They’ve officially (and finally) been labeled a currency manipulator.  Our fed will respond in kind.  China’s 13 cents vs the dollar plus, eliminating their US imports will punish their interior.  They can stand to shed a few dozen million to starvation....and will do so.

Biden would be a blessing for them 

Sanders or Warren would be an absolute disaster for them worse than Trump

1 minute ago, Edmo said:

They’ve been eating our lunch for too long. That would be a shame if that happened. I fully support putting a full court press on and keeping it on.

The next few days can be a defining moment in Trumps Presidency if he brings the rain.  If he backs up or falters,  were in for an unnecessary fight that will go in to 2020.  I have no doubt the Dems will be working hard against him to include informing China on our possible actions.  

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

The next few days can be a defining moment in Trumps Presidency if he brings the rain.  If he backs up or falters,  were in for an unnecessary fight that will go in to 2020.  I have no doubt the Dems will be working hard against him to include informing China on our possible actions.  

The dems? Maybe the shills. Many of the dems have a very harsh stance on China

6 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

The problem is Trump and his cabinet have no clue.

3 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Corporate America is the problem not China. The Democrats know this the Republicans never did. Seems most here don’t.

Do.you ever feel like a brown suit?

3 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Corporate America is the problem not China. The Democrats know this the Republicans never did. Seems most here don’t.

Sometimes when I read your posts I wonder if you read anything but the Dem underground or Huff post.

6 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

Sometimes when I read your posts I wonder if you read anything but the Dem underground or Huff post.

American Corporations will be moving production elsewhere. Stay tuned.

Just now, Mainecat said:

Take the case of Goodyear tire. They had to setup production in China in order to sell tires in their country. Of course all the while China is learning how to make tires so they can compete with Goodyear in the world market. Tell me again how we need China? I think you have that backwards.

1 minute ago, Mainecat said:

It's already happened. That was the premise of tpp as China was getting too powerful economically. There is no move to move manufacturing here, not from China. 

5 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

You just don’t understand what is going on here.  It’s not about bringing jobs/manus back here from China you fucking dolt.

Just now, Anler said:

It's already happened. That was the premise of tpp as China was getting too powerful economically. There is no move to move manufacturing here, not from China. 

I think some types of mfg are going to move out of China. I think Apple would be crazy to keep their mfg in China solely and others in tech as well.

8 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

I think some types of mfg are going to move out of China. I think Apple would be crazy to keep their mfg in China solely and others in tech as well.

That doesn't mean they are coming here. China has tariffs here, that doesn't mean they can't sell to everyone else. And they can still sell here it will just cost US more. 

18 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Maybe this will help you. Watch the video, this isn’t just about trade and manufacturing.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2019/07/25/kyle-bass-we-need-to-restructure-our-relationship-with-china.html

1 hour ago, Anler said:

That doesn't mean they are coming here. China has tariffs here, that doesn't mean they can't sell to everyone else. And they can still sell here it will just cost US more. 

Yea I agree but the current iPhone mfg would have moved out of China already if not for the fiscal controls already in place in Russia. Plenty of places in Asia to get things made.