Check your account email address ×

Things you need an I.D. for

8 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Buy a gun? Oh wait

To purchase a firearm as a resident of the state of Maine, you will be required to (1) present a state or federal photo identification that meets the identification requirements for the sale of firearms, i.e., a valid current driver's license or pistol permit, (2) submit to a federal NICS (National Instant Check System ...

No permit is required to buy a handgun in Maine, but there are some requirements to watch out for.  

To buy a handgun, you must:

• Be 18 or older;
  • Present state ID;
  • Have a background check performed by a licensed firearms dealer; and
  • Sign an acknowledgement that you received a basic firearms safety brochure.

Edited by XCR1250

You can buy at a gun show or private sale no ID.

this sort of gun sale is like an alien crossing the border illegally and entering the system.

In 32 states, there are currently no laws — federal or state — regulating firearms sales between private individuals at gun shows. However, even in states where background checks of private sales are not required by law, organizations hosting the gun show may require them as a matter of policy.Jan 24, 2019

Edited by Mainecat

The following 12 states impose additional requirements on gun shows:

Alabama
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Illinois
Maine
Maryland
New York
Oklahoma
Oregon
Tennessee
Virginia

These laws fall within the following categories:

Safety and security requirements

In 1999, California enacted the nation’s broadest legislation to increase oversight at gun shows. California’s statute specifies that gun show promoters must obtain a certificate of eligibility from the state Department of Justice following a background check. Promoters are also required to:

• Prepare security plans for gun shows and notify state and local law enforcement of those plans.
  • Certify that they will comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws.
  • Obtain liability insurance in an amount not less than $1 million.
  • Ensure that all firearms brought into the shows are cleared of ammunition and tagged for identification purposes.
  • Prohibit anyone under age 18 from entering unless accompanied by a parent, grandparent or legal guardian.39

Maine Gun Laws

Last Updated: May 22, 2018

Disclaimer:  While the information provided here is legal in nature, it is not to be construed as legal advice, and is for educational and entertainment purposes only.  

Gun laws range from state to state, and it can get confusing keeping track of all the ones that apply to you as a responsible gun owner in the state of Maine.  Fortunately, Maine doesn’t impose too many laws on its gun-owning population, so rest assured your freedoms are safe!

In this guide, we’ll go over everything you need to know to buy and own a gun, and more importantly, when and where you can use it!

Maine State Flag Maine State Flag

Buying a Handgun

No permit is required to buy a handgun in Maine, but there are some requirements to watch out for.  

• Be 18 or older;
  • Present state ID;

Signing the acknowledgement may not seem important, but it’s still the law so you’ll want to make sure you follow it to the letter!  You have to sign the acknowledgement in the presence of the firearms dealer that you buy it front, and keep it afterwards.

But Wait…

While the state only requires you to be 18 or older to buy a handgun, federal law requires you to be 21 or older to buy a handgun.  So what does that mean?  Basically, you can only buy a handgun from a private seller if you are between 18 and 21, since your local gun store is a licensed firearms dealer, and is subject to federal law.

The upside to buying a handgun through a private sale is that you can avoid the background check and the acknowledgement!  But it’s always a good idea to be aware of firearms safety no matter what!

…There’s More!

You didn’t think it would be that easy, did you?  In addition to those steps to buy a handgun, there are certain situations that prohibit you from buying a firearm.  

One thing to watch out for that is specific to Maine is that juveniles convicted of non-violent offenses are prohibited from owning a firearm for three years, or until they turn 18, whichever is longer.  The rest of the prohibitions follow the federal law.  

You are prohibited from buying a handgun if you:

• Have been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for over a year;
  • Are a fugitive from justice;
  • Illegally abuse controlled substances;
  • Have been adjudicated as mentally defective of incompetent, or have been committed to a mental institution;
  • Illegally reside in the United States;
  • Are a former US citizen who has renounced his citizenship;
  • Were dishonorably discharged from the US Armed Forces;
  • Are subject to a restraining order;
  • Were convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

Hopefully none of these are issues for you, and you can head off to your local gun store to pick up that shiny new 1911!

Maine Gun Store

• Gold Member
42 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Another guess......a personal shot and no response to the thread topic? I see a total asshole at work here.

I'm off now to enjoy my Sunday unlike the 24/7 Trump puppet.

You calling someone else a 24/7 Trump puppet? How many threads a day do you start making some of the most asinine assertions about Trump?  You mindless hypcrite. Its a miracle you can walk and breath at the same time.

I've lived in 2 states and always been required to provide id to vote. I have never seen an unverifiable voting station. 

Edited by Anler
  • Like 2

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Maine Gun Laws

Last Updated: May 22, 2018

Disclaimer:  While the information provided here is legal in nature, it is not to be construed as legal advice, and is for educational and entertainment purposes only.  

Gun laws range from state to state, and it can get confusing keeping track of all the ones that apply to you as a responsible gun owner in the state of Maine.  Fortunately, Maine doesn’t impose too many laws on its gun-owning population, so rest assured your freedoms are safe!

In this guide, we’ll go over everything you need to know to buy and own a gun, and more importantly, when and where you can use it!

Maine State Flag Maine State Flag

Buying a Handgun

• Be 18 or older;
  • Present state ID;

Signing the acknowledgement may not seem important, but it’s still the law so you’ll want to make sure you follow it to the letter!  You have to sign the acknowledgement in the presence of the firearms dealer that you buy it front, and keep it afterwards.

But Wait…

While the state only requires you to be 18 or older to buy a handgun, federal law requires you to be 21 or older to buy a handgun.  So what does that mean?  Basically, you can only buy a handgun from a private seller if you are between 18 and 21, since your local gun store is a licensed firearms dealer, and is subject to federal law.

The upside to buying a handgun through a private sale is that you can avoid the background check and the acknowledgement!  But it’s always a good idea to be aware of firearms safety no matter what!

…There’s More!

You didn’t think it would be that easy, did you?  In addition to those steps to buy a handgun, there are certain situations that prohibit you from buying a firearm.  

One thing to watch out for that is specific to Maine is that juveniles convicted of non-violent offenses are prohibited from owning a firearm for three years, or until they turn 18, whichever is longer.  The rest of the prohibitions follow the federal law.  

You are prohibited from buying a handgun if you:

• Have been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for over a year;
  • Are a fugitive from justice;
  • Illegally abuse controlled substances;
  • Have been adjudicated as mentally defective of incompetent, or have been committed to a mental institution;
  • Illegally reside in the United States;
  • Are a former US citizen who has renounced his citizenship;
  • Were dishonorably discharged from the US Armed Forces;
  • Are subject to a restraining order;
  • Were convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

Hopefully none of these are issues for you, and you can head off to your local gun store to pick up that shiny new 1911!

Maine Gun Store

Doesn't he live in NH though? 

3 hours ago, Edmo said:

You can’t buy a gun in anywhere in Illinois without a federal ID card.

Come over to Indiana bro! We can shoot guns out the car window! :lol:

3 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Doesn't he live in NH though? 

I believe so. I do and we need ID to purchase a firearm.

The lefts argument about the"gunshow loophole" is outrageous, I've been to many exhibitions and zero, ZERO times have I seen anyone selling shady arms privately in the parking lot. The private sales are registered through a dealer in the show as to keep records of the sale. Who in their right mind would sell a weapon to a stranger with their fingerprint on it without having certified when the transfer happened to protect themselves. It's absolute lunacy. Not to mention that if I want to sell a piece of my personal property, the government has zero, ZERO business being involved in any way shape or form.

6 minutes ago, Anler said:

Come over to Indiana bro! We can shoot guns out the car window! :lol:

My BIL used to live outside Chesterton. We would shoot and ride dirt bikes there. That’s more my style than the NW burbs.

3 minutes ago, Edmo said:

My BIL used to live outside Chesterton. We would shoot and ride dirt bikes there. That’s more my style than the NW burbs.

Yeah there is definitely a more relaxed attitude about guns here. 

5 minutes ago, Anler said:

Yeah there is definitely a more relaxed attitude about guns here. 

I had the urge to take out mr skunk last summer in the back yard. Probably be six cop cars there in less than a minute. And me going off in cuffs. :lol:  

2 minutes ago, Edmo said:

I had the urge to take out mr skunk last summer in the back yard. Probably be six cop cars there in less than a minute. And me going off in cuffs. :lol:  

Dude trust me, you do NOT want to do that. And not because of the cops. :lol:

• Haha 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 hours ago, Mainecat said:

You can buy at a gun show or private sale no ID.

this sort of gun sale is like an alien crossing the border illegally and entering the system.

In 32 states, there are currently no laws — federal or state — regulating firearms sales between private individuals at gun shows. However, even in states where background checks of private sales are not required by law, organizations hosting the gun show may require them as a matter of policy.Jan 24, 2019

You can buy alcohol, and ciggaretts thru a private sale with no ID too.

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

I believe so. I do and we need ID to purchase a firearm.

The lefts argument about the"gunshow loophole" is outrageous, I've been to many exhibitions and zero, ZERO times have I seen anyone selling shady arms privately in the parking lot. The private sales are registered through a dealer in the show as to keep records of the sale. Who in their right mind would sell a weapon to a stranger with their fingerprint on it without having certified when the transfer happened to protect themselves. It's absolute lunacy. Not to mention that if I want to sell a piece of my personal property, the government has zero, ZERO business being involved in any way shape or form.

Not to mention even the ATF consider the " gun show loophole" a waste of time as their own data suggest less then 3 % of guns used in crimes come froma gunshow. The majority came from straw purchases. Typicly a girlfriend buying a felon a gun.

2 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Not to mention even the ATF consider the " gun show loophole" a waste of time as their own data suggest less then 3 % of guns used in crimes come froma gunshow. The majority came from straw purchases. Typicly a girlfriend buying a felon a gun.

Or stolen. Yup

1 minute ago, washedupmxer said:

I haven't seen a thread where mc doesn't look dumb as a stump. Is there one?

Great white Buffalo. The unicorn thread, many have perished in search of such a thing. To this day, it has eluded all who have attempted to locate a post of that nature. :true: