Check your account email address ×

Ticks & Lyme

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Mileage Psycho said:

I had a buddy who got Lyme disease about 25 years ago, he thought he had the HIV and shared that thought with his wife :lol:

Right because most guys tell their wife they have HIV without a test.

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Right because most guys tell their wife they have HIV without a test.

He went to the doc and got tested for all kinds of stuff, he just cracked one night while drunk and feeling guilty.

10 hours ago, ford_428cj said:

He didn't seem to care much :dunno:

Yeah normal nuff.  I was the same way some years back, that was a huge mistake.  There are far too many tickborne illnesses today aside from “Lyme disease “  to Not take anabiotic’s after somethings was attached for a while.    Jmo 

5 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Tick had to be on you for a min of 36 hrs to transmit disease, according to my dr.

Yeah that’s Seems to be the general consensus but I was cautioned at the hospital that that’s open to debate.. 

36 hrs is a long time for me, I know how far they can dig in in that time , I see things “transferring” well before 36 hrs myself 🤷‍♂️

44 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

He went to the doc and got tested for all kinds of stuff, he just cracked one night while drunk and feeling guilty.

Deny, deny, deny.....see what that damn booze can do to a guy!!!  :hiding:

32 minutes ago, old indy said:

Yeah normal nuff.  I was the same way some years back, that was a huge mistake.  There are far too many tickborne illnesses today aside from “Lyme disease “  to Not take anabiotic’s after somethings was attached for a while.    Jmo 

Not sure he even knows about Lyme & all that.? Ticks have just emerged in Mich I think.? 

Our group was walking thru knee high grass in shorts on Sat looking for a golf ball ...nobody mentioned ticks 

23 minutes ago, old indy said:

Yeah that’s Seems to be the general consensus but I was cautioned at the hospital that that’s open to debate.. 

36 hrs is a long time for me, I know how far they can dig in in that time , I see things “transferring” well before 36 hrs myself 🤷‍♂️

Thought I read half that time before. Then the tick regurgitates into the wound & then spreads diseases.?

1 minute ago, ford_428cj said:

Not sure he even knows about Lyme & all that.? Ticks have just emerged in Mich I think.? 

Our group was walking thru knee high grass in shorts on Sat looking for a golf ball ...nobody mentioned ticks 

Thought I read half that time before. Then the tick regurgitates into the wound & then spreads diseases.?

Yup and I feel like they dig in far enough in a couple hours sometimes to be puking WHatever they carry in the wound before 30–36 hrs.  

17 minutes ago, ford_428cj said:

Ticks have been out for awhile here in WI, so I'm guessing MI is the same.

Ticks are exoskeleton, so they like spring and fall best. Hot dry summers they hide or die more.

Luckily most of the mosquito repellents, repel ticks as well. We have our yards at home and up north sprayed for mosquitoes and it keeps ticks away as well.

14 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Seresto collars for Dogs works perfect, no ticks, Flea, or Lice..

yes that's what we have been using. works great. the best there is.

fuck ticks... got lyme for about 6 months in the mid 90's.... treated and killed off the standard joint symptoms but started getting nervous system issues within 6 months after that, and within 5 years had my first full seizure.

16 hours ago, old indy said:

My wife got it about 5-6 years ago. We were hanging at a friend of ours farm for fourth of July and we're driving home and she pulled the tick off in the car. She got sick as hell a couple days later. Dummy wouldn't go to the doctor for like a week. Finally I forced her to go. Doc tested her and she tested positive for Lyme. He said you have about 3 weeks after the bite to treat it successfully with antibiotics. She tested again about 2 years ago and one of the panels came back positive. I guess it eventually causes rhumatoid arthritis. 

4 hours ago, Anler said:

My wife got it about 5-6 years ago. We were hanging at a friend of ours farm for fourth of July and we're driving home and she pulled the tick off in the car. She got sick as hell a couple days later. Dummy wouldn't go to the doctor for like a week. Finally I forced her to go. Doc tested her and she tested positive for Lyme. He said you have about 3 weeks after the bite to treat it successfully with antibiotics. She tested again about 2 years ago and one of the panels came back positive. I guess it eventually causes rhumatoid arthritis. 

Mayo estimated I had it for 16 years before it was diagnosed. 

8 hours ago, Anler said:

Yeesh,   I’ve been told the problem with these things is the list of ailments isn’t defined or finite. New issues arise regularly    From endless colds to hair loss And bizarre neurological disorders.

6 hours ago, old indy said:

Yeesh,   I’ve been told the problem with these things is the list of ailments isn’t defined or finite. New issues arise regularly    From endless colds to hair loss And bizarre neurological disorders.

Oh for sure, it causes all kinds of problems but I guess rhumatoid is a common one. 

11 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Mayo estimated I had it for 16 years before it was diagnosed. 

wtf... I'd have been dead after 16 years... after 6 months my right knee, hip, full spine, neck and jaw were all locked straight. I had to eat with a spoon.

I got bitten by a tick around the 17th. Didn't feel it for a while then I felt a tickling on my right leg just behind the knee. It really swelled up so I went to see a doctor. I was prescribed an antibiotic that i have to take twice a day. Then I have to go back for a blood test on July 3rd. Watch yourselves out there cause apparently there's supposed to be a tick explosion this summer.

On 6/25/2019 at 1:06 PM, steve from amherst said:

Do they last as long as they claim, even with a dog who swims?

Take the collar off before swim and it can take up to 24hrs after the swim or bath to be protected again. I have been using the Soresto for about 3 years now and its awesome.. A mosquito wont even land on my dog. And no odd side effects like I was getting from front line.