Top Posters In This Topic

• SSFB

• motonoggin

• Anler

• awful knawful

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

You couldn't be more wrong. 

I like Dan but he is definitely wrong. I agree with some of his memes but the message is lost because of the repetitiveness.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

5 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

You couldn't be more wrong. 

Lol. I'm sure I could, but I'm not in this case 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I like Dan but he is definitely wrong. I agree with some of his memes but the message is lost because of the repetitiveness.

Meh. I'm not here to change minds, but I do enjoy tweaking reactionaries.

Just now, motonoggin said:

Lol. I'm sure I could, but I'm not in this case 

Meh. I'm not here to change minds, but I do enjoy tweaking reactionaries.

No, you’re wrong in this case too.   Nothing you posts makes me uncomfortable. I generally pass right by it not goving it a second thought.  I’m having to much fun in life to be worried about how you feel.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

No, you’re wrong in this case too.   Nothing you posts makes me uncomfortable. I generally pass right by it not goving it a second thought.  I’m having to much fun in life to be worried about how you feel.  

Ok, well I'm glad you took time out of your busy day ignoring what I post to tell me how you ignore what I post.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

Who said I was busy?  

Well Mr. Leisure since you aren't busy what do you recommend I do for Shocks on that TNT....revalve the stockers or upgrade and what is a good reasonable upgrade? :thumbsup:

13 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Well Mr. Leisure since you aren't busy what do you recommend I do for Shocks on that TNT....revalve the stockers or upgrade and what is a good reasonable upgrade? :thumbsup:

I think your plan to have Ian work them over is a good one. When someone brings me TNT monotube shocks I increase the thickness of the first 3 valves in the compression stack by about 30% and refill then with 10wt oil. N2 pressure to about 270.  The heavier oil and lower N2 pressure slow down the rebound and reduce the pogo affect. The heavier oil and increased dampening stiffen up the compression side considerably. Most of my customers stick with stock springs unless they are heavy. I would say stock springs are fine for anyone up to 220 or so. 

Lots of the big shops in the states go straight to heavier springs. That works too but it adds costs. Most of my customers need their shocks serviced anyway and its easy to make the chances while Im in there.  The oil costs the same regardless of the viscosity. N2 cost the same. A valve shim is about $1 each when you buy them in bulk. 

• Like 1

A good upgrade would be the KYB 40’s or even the 36’s from about 5 years ago. The price of these shocks used has come down considerably in the last couple of years. Lots of guys upgrade to Fox Float Evols from the KYB’ s so Ian probably has several sets of them laying around. 

If you were my customer I would suggest a simple shock service and revalve and we could go from there with rear springs if you needed a little more bump handling capability.  For 90% of people that is about all they really need. Plus most of my customers are on a budget and thats why they come to me in the first place. Hahaha

2 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

I think your plan to have Ian work them over is a good one. When someone brings me TNT monotube shocks I increase the thickness of the first 3 valves in the compression stack by about 30% and refill then with 10wt oil. N2 pressure to about 270.  The heavier oil and lower N2 pressure slow down the rebound and reduce the pogo affect. The heavier oil and increased dampening stiffen up the compression side considerably. Most of my customers stick with stock springs unless they are heavy. I would say stock springs are fine for anyone up to 220 or so. 

Lots of the big shops in the states go straight to heavier springs. That works too but it adds costs. Most of my customers need their shocks serviced anyway and its easy to make the chances while Im in there.  The oil costs the same regardless of the viscosity. N2 cost the same. A valve shim is about $1 each when you buy them in bulk. 

2 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

A good upgrade would be the KYB 40’s or even the 36’s from about 5 years ago. The price of these shocks used has come down considerably in the last couple of years. Lots of guys upgrade to Fox Float Evols from the KYB’ s so Ian probably has several sets of them laying around. 

If you were my customer I would suggest a simple shock service and revalve and we could go from there with rear springs if you needed a little more bump handling capability.  For 90% of people that is about all they really need. Plus most of my customers are on a budget and thats why they come to me in the first place. Hahaha

Would you be interested in doing them for me? I know the fronts have dual rate springs and he said something about putting a stiffer top tender spring on them and possibly a stiffer center spring.

14 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Would you be interested in doing them for me? I know the fronts have dual rate springs and he said something about putting a stiffer top tender spring on them and possibly a stiffer center spring.

I would be glad to. The only challenge is timing. We came back home early this morning. Gonna be here for about a week then back to the Havasu area. Gonna be back in AK for a month at Thanksgiving. I could do them then. 

Was Ian planning to revalve them some or just the stiffer tender spring?    Those guys do hundreds and hundreds of shocks. They know what theyre doing.  

What was Ian planning to do with the rear shocks?

A USPS flat rate box costs about $15 each way to AK. All of your shocks will fit in a large flat rate box. 

9 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

I would be glad to. The only challenge is timing. We came back home early this morning. Gonna be here for about a week then back to the Havasu area. Gonna be back in AK for a month at Thanksgiving. I could do them then. 

Was Ian planning to revalve them some or just the stiffer tender spring?    Those guys do hundreds and hundreds of shocks. They know what theyre doing.  

What was Ian planning to do with the rear shocks?

A USPS flat rate box costs about $15 each way to AK. All of your shocks will fit in a large flat rate box. 

He previously valved them and set them up for a 135 rider so a revalve and stiffer tender spring and guessing stiffer in the rear and stiffer center spring. 

4 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Life is too short to be that negative.