Check your account email address ×

And I thought I had it bad from the Lyme's

We have a friend who was bit by a tick several years ago and his body is attacking all of his soft tissue. This was a guy who was a top athlete when he was younger and stayed in great physical shape throughout his life. He looks like a walking corpse now. The discs in his back are disintegrating, he is having organ failure, nervous system damage you name it. Doctors don't know what to do for him. Ticks are a scourge. 

• Sad 1

I got a dear tic bullseye like 10 yrs ago or so .they gave me a big steroid scrip and no after efects . lucky . but my cabin is grond zero for dear tix . just a rullet game every ones dog i know who lives up there has limes 

My 7 yr son got Lymes last year.

Figure he had it for about 6 months before it was diagnosed. Antibiotics and good to go.

My dog has had anaplasmosis since he was about 2. He always test positive, but after we gave him meds, he apparently isnt bothered by it.

my son got one in his belly button a few weeks ago. Was complaining it was sore and we took a look and saw it otherwise never would have detected it.

it's scary to think how drastically it can change your life overnight if you get infected.

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 minutes ago, ford_428cj said:

Bug spray keep them off :dunno:

5 minutes ago, ckf said:

I think deet helps.

Yep...Deet and I also bought some sprays for us and the dogs. They are  a mixture of essential oils that repel the little bastards. One of the best things you can do is to cover yourself 100% in the woods...long pants, long sleeve shirts and even tuck your pants into your socks.

8 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Yep...Deet and I also bought some sprays for us and the dogs. They are  a mixture of essential oils that repel the little bastards. One of the best things you can do is to cover yourself 100% in the woods...long pants, long sleeve shirts and even tuck your pants into your socks.

A few years back I used to follow a different hiker doing the Appalachian Trail, either a blog or a YT vlog. They were fighting ticks all the way from Georgia to Maine depending on the time of the year and direction of travel. Covering yourself is the best way to keep them off of you.

18 minutes ago, ckf said:

A few years back I used to follow a different hiker doing the Appalachian Trail, either a blog or a YT vlog. They were fighting ticks all the way from Georgia to Maine depending on the time of the year and direction of travel. Covering yourself is the best way to keep them off of you.

Yep

39 minutes ago, ckf said:

I think deet helps.

That shit can't be good for ya either :dunno:

32 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Never seen one around here yet. You have them up there?

Been in woods with shorts on golfing - but usually look on legs after.

20 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

Keep away from pets I believe - will kill them right away

19 minutes ago, ckf said:

Moose dying up your way covered with thousands of them ... nasty

2 minutes ago, ford_428cj said:

Yeah we have them for sure..I found a couple on the dogs but they didn’t look like the Deer ticks that carry Lyme but Charlevoix County is one that has reported Lyme Disease. 

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

They carry other nasty stuff besides Lyme. Like I said my friend got some real nasty shit, it ruined his life. He hasn't worked since it happened. And he was a really fit guy before he got bit. 

• Sad 1

I'd get treated for any tick bite, bulls-eye sore or not.   This was suggested by our local PA.  

16 minutes ago, Anler said:

They carry other nasty stuff besides Lyme. Like I said my friend got some real nasty shit, it ruined his life. He hasn't worked since it happened. And he was a really fit guy before he got bit. 

I thought there was something going around that makes you allergic to red meat.  Fuck I'd rather be dead than not be able to eat steak/bugers/brisket/ribs.......

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/alpha-gal-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20428608

36 minutes ago, ford_428cj said:

I haven't seen one here in the 5 summers that we have been here. My inlaws dog had one on it, but it goes also goes to a slightly warmer climate at a lower elevation.

I got lyme when I was a teenager. was fairly new in the mid 90's. never saw a tick or a bullseye. took them 6 months to diagnose me. slept damn near two weeks straight when I first got infected, then it was nasty joint pain that led to joint paralysis. by the time I was diagnosed my right knee, hip, full spine, neck and jaw would not move. at the time I didn't think much of it as I was going through orientation at my vocational high school and was using the opportunity to make use of all the shop equipment to build my car. sandblasted half the suspension, did all the brake parts... converted a set of buick aluminum drums to ford brakes.... lots of shit I needed to get done in a small amount of time. here I am carrying in all these car parts to school hobbling around.... my teachers telling me to gtfo....

my Dr kept telling me I had sports injuries (I raced cars lol) or I had juvenile arthritis. finally he was on vacation and a PA looked at my chart before he even said a word to me writes me a script for doxycycline and hands it to me. says I got the lyme and I better go fill that script and take my first dose before they even do the test. was better in a week. to this day I swear lyme is the reason I have seizures.

other than sprays, they also say light colors attract ticks more. I pulled 18 off my white golden from one trip up mt tom walking on a closed road. got bit a few weeks ago again and had them write me a script on the spot.

3 hours ago, ckf said:

I haven't seen one here in the 5 summers that we have been here. My inlaws dog had one on it, but it goes also goes to a slightly warmer climate at a lower elevation.

Deer Ticks are as small as the period on a typewriter, can't always see them.

3 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Yeah we have them for sure..I found a couple on the dogs but they didn’t look like the Deer ticks that carry Lyme but Charlevoix County is one that has reported Lyme Disease. 

Supposedly down here too . Possums eat em up I guess.

3 hours ago, Anler said:

what was it?

3 hours ago, Highmark said:

I'd get treated for any tick bite, bulls-eye sore or not.   This was suggested by our local PA.  

I thought there was something going around that makes you allergic to red meat.  Fuck I'd rather be dead than not be able to eat steak/bugers/brisket/ribs.......

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/alpha-gal-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20428608

Lonestar tick. Freaky stuff ...

Deet doesn’t do shit to ticks. I’ve watched a tick walk thru a veritable puddle of fresh deet on my boot. I’ve had 26 ticks on me this yr. 4 bites

Edited by Shifty

2 minutes ago, Shifty said:

Deet doesn’t do shit to ticks. I’ve watched a tick walk thru a veritable puddle of fresh deet on my boot. I’ve had 26 ticks on me this yr. 4 bites

Seriously....damn.

9 minutes ago, Shifty said:

I never had that many in a season back when I was in NH.  The population must be exploding?