Check your account email address ×

Who pays for tariffs?

3 minutes ago, Sleepr2 said:

When was the last time “lug flic “ admitted he was wrong??

Everything he typed whole day today was an elaborate admission of being wrong.

• Platinum Contributing Member
38 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

That doesn't seem to be the case, as companies either incur the expense of moving production to other southeast Asian countries, or simply pass on the higher cost of good to consumers.  American workers suffer, not benefit, as we pay more for goods.

None of what you say seems to be correct.  :dunno:

Neal

YOu don't know for a fact parts production will move to another Asian country. And you don't know how many American companies who have thought about bringing production overseas may not. Just as I don't know it.

So maybe none of what you say seems to be correct either.

39 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

You ain't looking around very hard then...

Neal

WEll why don't you show us 100's of thousands of layoffs. That is what a massive layoff is. Also please post the bankruptcy filings of farmers you are talking about. I hear about them bitching , but filing , nope havnt seen. So post em up.

12 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

No one said or implied that, what does punishing the consumer accomplish?

Neal

Punishment. pirsuasian. What do you call a sin tax on tobaco? Is that a punishment?

15 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Anyone here is a fool if they think this will help any consumer on the planet. When a product from China has an import tariff of 20% attached to it to support American manufacturers 99% of the time those American company raises their prices the same.

Who fuckin pays?

Tariffs are great if certain products are targeted.

Ew, can’t believe I’m going to say this, but... Bingo. Targeted tariffs work, blanket tariffs do not. Blanket tariffs do not work when you are a consumer economy. If we were poor and under developed, blanket tariffs would. 

14 hours ago, f7ben said:

Why are our goods tariffed in most countries Neal?

Because they are targeted and not blanket. If we said we were only going to tariff Chinese steel because of dumping, I’d be onboard. But a blanket 25% on all goods ends up with a net loss for a consumer economy. I’m all for punishing China. Do it right. Punish them strategically in industries where we can still compete. Ie: steel, tech, aero. If not, we will net lose. End of story. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Ew, can’t believe I’m going to say this, but... Bingo. Targeted tariffs work, blanket tariffs do not. Blanket tariffs do not work when you are a consumer economy. If we were poor and under developed, blanket tariffs would. 

Because they are targeted and not blanket. If we said we were only going to tariff Chinese steel because of dumping, I’d be onboard. But a blanket 25% on all goods ends up with a net loss for a consumer economy. I’m all for punishing China. Do it right. Punish them strategically in industries where we can still compete. Ie: steel, tech, aero. If not, we will net lose. End of story. 

most of the junk china ships here is pure garbage and not worth buying.

Just now, ManOnManOral said:

most of the junk china ships here is pure garbage and not worth buying.

Oh really? Not worth buying? So no one does then, eh? Is that why they have a trade deficit with us? Oh wait, they have a huge trade surplus because they supply cheap goods that are perfectly sufficient as cheap goods. Fuck off zoso.

3 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Oh really? Not worth buying? So no one does then, eh? Is that why they have a trade deficit with us? Oh wait, they have a huge trade surplus because they supply cheap goods that are perfectly sufficient as cheap goods. Fuck off zoso.

nobody ever accused you of being intelligent.

7 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

WEll why don't you show us 100's of thousands of layoffs. That is what a massive layoff is. Also please post the bankruptcy filings of farmers you are talking about. I hear about them bitching , but filing , nope havnt seen. So post em up.

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/03/708664013/bankruptcy-filings-indicate-times-are-tough-for-many-u-s-farmers

https://www.wsj.com/articles/this-one-here-is-gonna-kick-my-buttfarm-belt-bankruptcies-are-soaring-11549468759

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-05-03/soaring-bankruptcies-in-farm-belt-force-banks-to-boost-defenses

Neal

6 hours ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Most intelligent folks would be on board for this type of tariff arrangement.  :bc:

Neal

2 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

You didn't answer the question, you simply repeated it...

Neal

Punishing the consumer dosnt accomplish anything. They consumer of cheap shit is the collateral damage

4 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

HONIG: Over the last few years, farm income has dropped by half since hitting a high point in 2013.

But tariffs havnt been in place for a few yrs.

The talking alone was enough to send the markets downward, the threats began in 2017.

Come now, don't be so intellectually dishonest here...

Neal

Just now, NaturallyAspirated said:

That's all the trade war has done, punish consumers.

Neal

Has it really? Have you seen a 25% increase in your everyday spending?  I havnt yet. WE only use 2 items made in China and I purchased the seasons worth in march. Who knows, maybe next yr I will pay 25% more for em. That means my mark up will also go up 25%. 

My god did you read anything in the articles you posted?  Blaming the hardships in these articless on tariffs is pathetic and you show your ignorance using those articles as references.

3 minutes ago, racer254 said:

My god did you read anything in the articles you posted?  Blaming the hardships in these articless on tariffs is pathetic and you show your ignorance using those articles as references.

Of course I did, I also live it.  

Tariffs are not the sole cause of low prices, they are a strain on already strained systems.  If you can't understand that you are fucking stupid.

Neal

29 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Yes, in most instances.

Neal

But it's still the right thing to do given the current circumstances.......right Neal?